What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jumping out of sliding canopy pictures.

AJ85WA

Well Known Member
Here is some pictures of someone jumping out of a sliding canopy, pretty interesting

Aircraft is a Sling.
Slidingskydive.jpg

Slidingskydive2.jpg

Slidingskydive3.jpg

Slidingskydive4.jpg

As I have no desire to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, and know nothing about sky diving, why is the airplane pitched down when he takes the plunge?? Also, notice the up elevator being held during the sequence of pics.

Last edited:
A why is the airplane pitched down when he takes the plunge?? Also, notice the up elevator being held during the sequence of pics.

Looks like the flaps are down too.

My guess is to get the airspeed down low as possible?

perfectly good airplane?

My skydiving buddy tells me that there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane, that's probably why he jumped.:D

bird

Way back in my Grumman owning days, I seem to remember a few folks who had claimed to have dumped a skydiver out of those sliding-canopy ships. Of course, they were designed to allow "canopy open" flight, and were a lot slower than RV's...

Neat picture sequence!

Paul

It looks like the attitude of the plane is pitched down slightly, likely at 80 knots or less. As an old skydiver I know climbing out at over 80 gets difficult. The full flap decent shown in the photos would also help the wind issue for the skydiver as he climbed on the wing, keeping his legs from wanting to blow away, on only a low wing aircraft.

I remember taking aerobatic lessons with an instructor that had us don required parachutes prior to flight. He mentioned that he had never used a parachute for real. I thought that he was a liability if we really need to jump for what ever reason may arise, bird strike, wing failure, fire, smoke, etc.

Also, it always seemed to me that it is much easier to strap on a parachute for safety in a plane vs. a complex entire airplane chute system. A lot less expensive also.

Has anyone ever opened their slider on an RV back more than a foot, in flight?

"If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming." Get out and fly!!!

I would have thought that in a forum of experimental aircraft builders that you folks really would understand that there is absolutely no "perfectly good airplane."

I jumped out of an Ercoup years ago. It is amazing how much lift is destroyed by stepping out on a low wing. Most jump planes are either high wings, or the door is aft of the wing.

Mark

As I have no desire to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, and know nothing about sky diving, why is the airplane pitched down when he takes the plunge?? Also, notice the up elevator being held during the sequence of pics.

I'm guessing the engine was at idle to decrease the air blast from the prop, to make it easier for the jumper to get out. Full flap and idle power would require a nose down attitude to hold the target airspeed.

Perfectly good...

As a former skydiver with over 2 hours freefall, I would rather jump out of a perfectly good airplane than a perfectly bad one!

I seem to recall when we were being taught how to bail out of the T-34 in primary they talked about a high possibility of being "stuck" to the plane and that you may have to crawl on the wing to the tip to jump or other odd maneuver if jumping from OCF.

Seems the plane has not moved an inch during the whole sequence. Note the clouds and ground are in the same relative location.

Don't know about other RV's, but the -6a slider cannot be opened more than a few inches in flight and is darn hard to close in flight. Air Speed has to be under 90 knots. I don't think you could get out short of stalling, a zero G maneuver, or some pull pins to eject the canopy.

Nice to know you won't hit the tail if you bail.

Having dumped a lot of skydivers in a former life, I remember there was always a desire to have the helicopter moving as slowly as possible. They seemed to like the feeling of acceleration in the fall. Apparently, that feeling is absent when you hit the "wall" of air upon exiting the aircraft. That may not be the case in this jump, but I always thought it interesting.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to do a tandem jump with the Army's "Golden Knights" at a local airshow. As we were climbing into the jump aircraft, I commented to my jump buddy that, as a pilot, I had some reservations about jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft.

As if on cue, he stopped me, pointed to the side of the plane and asked, "What does that say?"

"ARMY," I replied.

He smiled and said, "Exactly. And what does the Army know about airplanes? Nothing. This is NOT a 'perfectly good airplane'."

:D

Years ago had someone jump out of my Grumman Cheetah.

It was the strangest experience. I was worried about him hitting the horizontal stab on the way out, but he said he couldn't hit it if he tried.

Having dumped a lot of skydivers in a former life, I remember there was always a desire to have the helicopter moving as slowly as possible. They seemed to like the feeling of acceleration in the fall. Apparently, that feeling is absent when you hit the "wall" of air upon exiting the aircraft. That may not be the case in this jump, but I always thought it interesting.

Heli, balloon, (& Mr. Bill;)) jumps are unique in the fact as you have zero flying speed on exit. Sort of like a BASE jump... You certainly notice a pronounced 'Elevator Shaft' feeling, which is the attractive aspect of that type of jump. Flying your body in that sort of subterminal air requires large control inputs (just like slow flight in an aircraft) and occasional results in a body flail to maintain or seek some sort of stability. Subterminal air is a weightless transitory zone in which a gymnastic move may have some effect and flight control surfaces are not quite effective. Kind of the like the entry interface for the Shuttle... Fun stuff! :D

Skydiving is about the purest form of flight. While the L/D ratio is pretty poor, you are actually flying your body to maintain relative position with others in freefall rather than controlling some sort of machine. Legs become ruddervators/elevons and arms become ailerons/wings/flaps. Sweep your arms like an F-14 and go into a ballistic dive or 'track' to cover horizontaly distance.

For those that don't want to commit to a parachute to save their life, try this out. There are several located around the country, a lot of potential family fun, and a great way to build a new skill...!

www.iflyseattle.com

Years ago had someone jump out of my Grumman Cheetah.

It was the strangest experience. I was worried about him hitting the horizontal stab on the way out, but he said he couldn't hit it if he tried.

It was nice of him to lie to you to make you comfortable with the whole thing! Or maybe he was commenting on his skill as a skydiver :eek:

If someone can hit the tail of a Twin Otter they can certainly hit the tail of a Grumman!

Mark

It was nice of him to lie to you to make you comfortable with the whole thing! Or maybe he was commenting on his skill as a skydiver :eek:

If someone can hit the tail of a Twin Otter they can certainly hit the tail of a Grumman!

Mark

That's what I thought. I guess he would have suffered more damage than the aircraft but even so...he did miss it :)

I don't think he was particularly safety conscious in retrospect. I know less than nothing about sky diving, but he jumped through an overcast layer which I would not have thought particularly safe either.

I'm an old skydiver, too, with nearly 500 jumps in my log book. I agree with Joe and others... it's the purest form of flight possible. You're not just riding along in a machine, you're out there. We used to say it's a sure cure for boredom, and it's the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on. :D

Years ago, I made a similar jump out of a low-wing aircraft like this one, except it didn't have a slider canopy. It had doors that opened to the side, hinged on the front. I'd have to check my logbook to remember what kind of aircraft it was, but if memory serves me it might have been a Cherokee. Anyway, the pilot had to slow down as slow as possible to reduce the wind blast from the prop and the forward speed. Flaps down, teetering on the verge of a stall. This is standard procedure for most jump-ship pilots. Even then, it was nearly impossible to push the door open against the windstream. He put the plane in a slip, which took more pressure off the door so I could push it open enough to crawl out onto the wing. I remember as the door closed, I was left on the wing on my knees for a brief moment before jumping off, like the guy in these pictures. It's certainly an experience I'll never forget.

Oh, by the way, there's NO WAY you could reach the horizontal stabilizor, even if you try. Remember, your body is traveling forward at the same speed as the aircraft and continues a forward trajectory as you jump off, even if you try to jump to the rear. In RELATIVE terms, relative to the aircraft, you go straight down.

When I learned to skydive, the instructor used to tell students who were worried about hitting the tail that they never could if they tried, and challenged them to give it a shot. Most of the ones I saw kind of jumped straight aft, trying to get to the tail. Of course, gravity works remarkably well, and they missed the tail of our Cessna jump plane by a large margin.

One day I jumped not just aft, but *up* as well... The pilot told me later that he heard the "bang" when my hand slapped the leading edge of the HS... Not knowing what had happened, he shoved my instructor out, shut the door, and immediately started his safety checks, thinking something had gone wrong with the plane. I got bounced in freefall by my instructor, who then did some freefall work with me. After landing, the jump pilot told him not to tell students to try hitting the tail.

Never did jump out of a Helicopter, Baloon, or Low-wing airplane. All would have been fun to try.

Oh, by the way, there's NO WAY you could reach the horizontal stabilizor, even if you try.

Sorry, but during my 20 years experience of flying skydivers and skydiving I have experienced that this is a false statement. I have seen it happen on purpose, accident, and plain old stupidity.

Mark

I'm an old skydiver, too, with nearly 500 jumps in my log book. I agree with Joe and others... it's the purest form of flight possible. You're not just riding along in a machine, you're out there. We used to say it's a sure cure for boredom, and it's the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on. :D

Years ago, I made a similar jump out of a low-wing aircraft like this one, except it didn't have a slider canopy. It had doors that opened to the side, hinged on the front. I'd have to check my logbook to remember what kind of aircraft it was, but if memory serves me it might have been a Cherokee. Anyway, the pilot had to slow down as slow as possible to reduce the wind blast from the prop and the forward speed. Flaps down, teetering on the verge of a stall. This is standard procedure for most jump-ship pilots. Even then, it was nearly impossible to push the door open against the windstream. He put the plane in a slip, which took more pressure off the door so I could push it open enough to crawl out onto the wing. I remember as the door closed, I was left on the wing on my knees for a brief moment before jumping off, like the guy in these pictures. It's certainly an experience I'll never forget.

Oh, by the way, there's NO WAY you could reach the horizontal stabilizor, even if you try. Remember, your body is traveling forward at the same speed as the aircraft and continues a forward trajectory as you jump off, even if you try to jump to the rear. In RELATIVE terms, relative to the aircraft, you go straight down.

The very thought of skydiving tightens my sphincter :eek:

Oh no Mr Bill

Heli, balloon, (& Mr. Bill;)) jumps are unique in the fact as you have zero flying speed on exit. Sort of like a BASE jump...
www.iflyseattle.com

I never though I would every see a reference to a Mr. Bill jump on this forum.:D For you that don't know what it is, you jump out with a second jumper holding onto his rig while he opens up his parachute. You then climb up his rig onto his shoulders and fly around until its time to jump off and open your own parachute.

As a recovering skydiver it would take very little to drag me off the wagon (plane). Jumping out of airplanes, helicopters, and balloons were some of the greatest experiences in my life which I still talk about. It was a great way to get into a lot of different aircrafts even if you don't get to land in them. Some of my best friends are guys I started jumping with in the early 80's. It may seem silly to many of the RV'ers here but there is a small empty feeling about building an airplane that I could never jump out of it.

Aircrafts I jumped from: C-195, C-180, C-182, C-172, C-150, C-206, Aeronca Chief, J-3, DC-3, Beach 18, Caravan, Helicopter, B-17 (out of bomb bay), C130, Seminal, Lance, Twin Bonanza, Twin Otter, hot air balloon,

Me too

The very thought of skydiving tightens my sphincter :eek:

I had the same feeling when I bought my AT-6, back in the '70's. I figured that if I had to sit on a seat-pack, that I need to know how to use it, so I went to a jump school and jumped. Yeah, the sphincter was kinda tight, but it loosens up quickly:D

Best,

who is on the wingtip?

My question is who was standing on the wingtip to take the pictures?
That is pretty cool. The Sling looks like a pretty nice plane. Good video too.

good spot

...or, in other parts of the world, it appears that duct tape...is YELLOW! :)
Im laughing out loud at that one.
I have never taken the chance to skydive. It must be one heck of a rush crawling out of the plane, onto the wing, then jumping. wow.

...or, in other parts of the world, it appears that duct tape...is YELLOW! :)

The things Red Green could have done with colored duct tape would require years worth of new episodes. I wonder what Red would say about sky diving...I miss that show.

With over 1400 skydives and over 1800 hours as pilot in command (flying both skydivers over 500 hours) I can identify with both sides of the comments made to these postings. I always found that jumping gave me an adrenalin high followed by a feeling of euphoria. I get a smaller dose when doing extended aerobatics.

Flight with slider open

Flight with slider open:
It has been written many times that, by design, RV's are not approved for flight with the slider open.

There is report that some have flown with slider open over the years.
I don't remember the details. Others on this site will likely fill this info in.

Not recommended unless you have goggles on and are ok with damage and replacing your canopy.

A few of the Gruman light aircraft and various others were approved for slider open in flight.

The horizontal stab and elevator do a nice little shake when the jumper gets out. Didn't look like it was shaking prior to the jumpers exit from the cockpit and it appears it quit once he cleared the airplane. The video didn't run long enough to really tell. It didn't appear to have any shake during the earlier aileron roll they did either. Interesting...

Back