What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

now with oxygen...

[email protected]

Well Known Member
one of my goals from this years sun-n-fun was to get an oxygen set up. all three of the vendors were informative, each with a slight variation on the theme. all of them are a bit over priced when comparing component costs to roll your own but i liked the personal interaction at the show. in the end i went with aerox, who is a site sponsor here and also gets points for giving you a full bottle with a commitment to transfill anytime at sun-n-fun and oshkosh since he drives to the shows with a couple of large cylinders... nice.

i found the nasal canula to be surprisingly comfortable in flight and quickly forgot about wearing it.

o2system1.jpg

most of our trek from Denver to Seattle was at 16,500 with a few spots higher and lower.

o2system2.jpg

we used a portable carry case during the flight home but i have now fabricated backing plates to the co-pilot side flap inspection panel for hard mounts.

o2system3.jpg

o2system4.jpg

now i need to find someone with a transfill system...

Ditto on everything. I bought the same system. I also bought the adapter to fill a bottle from a welder's O2 bottle. I have yet to use it in flight though.

Btw, you can find the pulse, Oximeters on Amazon for $33. Same one they were selling at the show for $100.

Nice setup Stephen, this is the way to go.

I typically try to shove some of my [heavier] bags right behind the seat to get them as close to front as possible. Although I really don't have a CG problem, it will help if the fuel gets really low and I see the affect of it less.

I miss going far places and I am due for a good trip.

Last edited:
pulseoximeter is a must

A pulseoximeter is really a must. I picked one up before we bought the oxygen system to see what sort of saturation levels we experienced in flight and the numbers were quite alarming at altitude...

something's missing

Oh - I know what it is - A SMOKE TANK! You have way too much baggage room. A good smoke tank will solve that nicely.

Your hard mount tank bracket sure is nicer than my bungee!

Baggage room aplenty

Next I need a smoke and oil system like yours Don :)

There is really a surprising amount of space when you pack to the window. After our trip we weighed everything that we were carying; it totaled 135 pounds putting us pretty far aft CG... a totally different beast around the runway.

smoker

Oh - I know what it is - A SMOKE TANK! You have way too much baggage room. A good smoke tank will solve that nicely.

Your hard mount tank bracket sure is nicer than my bungee!

looking at the first pic........i think he will have to hang the smoke tank on the belly:D

Next I need a smoke and oil system like yours Don :)

There is really a surprising amount of space when you pack to the window. After our trip we weighed everything that we were carying; it totaled 135 pounds putting us pretty far aft CG... a totally different beast around the runway.

Here's a pic I took after unloading from my trip to Osh09. Even better, my O2 tank AND my smoke tank were still in the plane. We had loaded her up to the top. After seeing how much I could fit, I'd say that I'll probably never have a trip where I need to take the smoke tank out even though it's removable. Baggage space is not an issue for the -7, fo shizzle.

Hope you missed the excitement at SNF. That bird of years is getting some good miles on it.

web.jpg

It's amazing how much you can stuff into the baggage compartment. When we unloaded at an airport in Colorado Springs, the ramp guys were laughing at the pile of stuff we pulled out. I guess we were amazed as well.

Roberta

I am thinking about buying an Aerox oxygen system. For two pilots.
What do you think is the right size cylinder? D is OK or is too much?
Will it be difficult to have it refilled? I read on antoher thread that the old style regulator was compatible with a lot of refiller (i.e.: welding shops).

Thanks.
Camillo

Stephen this looks great. Why so many small holes on the flap cover ? Just spreading out the load on the panel ? What was the total cost ?
Thanks
Phelps

flab cover needs a backing plate...

Stephen this looks great. Why so many small holes on the flap cover ? Just spreading out the load on the panel ? What was the total cost ?
Thanks
Phelps

The backing plates are from scrap .032 and the cover plate is .020ish. Rivet spacing is typical for a backing plate; on the order of one per inch in the field. We used the O2 yesterday coming over home over the Rockies and it works great. If I were to do it all again I would likely get the next bigger sized tank (the same height but about an inch wider). I went with the Aerox system purchased at Sun-N-Fun... the vendor brings a cascade system to both Sun-N-Fun and Oshkosh and will fill their tanks for free ;)

Total system cost was at 'show special' pricing complete and was around 500 or so.

img2693x.jpg

Different hat Brian...DR will notice! ;)

Cool set up Stephen...went with the same location, and its been great...easy to reach the controls and check the O2 levels. Nice work! I sometimes wold prefer a larger bottle as well...have carried a second on occasion, just to avoid a refill on the road. Sure makes chasing tailwinds easier sometimes, eh! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
If you use a Mountain High pulse demand oxygen system, your bottle will last for days. I have an 02D2 portable for my -6A and an 02D1 for my glider. They cut use down by more than half. Somewhat expensive, but worth it.

http://www.mhoxygen.com/

Dilution Demand

I agree that the Mountain High system is great. I borrowed one from a friend and was very impressed by the difference in O2 use. I have been using a similar device made by Aerox and have no complaints with it either. For some reason it is not advertised on their website but is available from Aircraft Spruce. It is a bit less expensive than MH's. It is called the DDO2.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/aerodd02.php?clickkey=52776

Last edited:
Interesting

I am just completing a roll my own system and while I like the pulse demand or even the prepackaged aviation kits I just cant see spending $500 or north of $1K for the pulse systems.

The regular med system with a pediatric regulator, oxymiser cannulas and a d tank lasts 2 people for 12 hours or so flight and costs $150 to make up NEW. I am not clear what the advantage is in spending huge bucks?

Open to hearing the benefits, as that is a TON of Avgas $$. Always like learning pros and cons.

I am just completing a roll my own system and while I like the pulse demand or even the prepackaged aviation kits I just cant see spending $500 or north of $1K for the pulse systems.

The regular med system with a pediatric regulator, oxymiser cannulas and a d tank lasts 2 people for 12 hours or so flight and costs $150 to make up NEW. I am not clear what the advantage is in spending huge bucks?

Open to hearing the benefits, as that is a TON of Avgas $$. Always like learning pros and cons.

Assuming US tons and gallons, and today's KTSP price of $5.49/US gallon, a TON of avgas would cost $1830. where are you finding it for $1K or less? I'd like to have a tanker-load delivered...:D

DDO2

Rick -
In my case, I work in different locations and relocate two or three times a year. The hassle and expense of locating different filling locations is worth the price to me. Although not a scientific test, I usually refill my tank three or four times a year but I only had to refill once last year with the DDO2. If I stayed in one location I would probably set up my own refill station and not see as much of an advantage. YMMV.

Last edited:
Stephen,
I haven't heard from you since you made it to Denver. Glad to see you are back home safely. Mary and I flew down to 52F and had our bottle filled at Walt's on Sunday. He also did a transponder check and fixed a leak in the pitot line. Hope to see you again soon flying around somewhere.

My experience is that there's a price difference between bringing a portable bottle to the filling station or having the filling station come to the plane. It's enough to make it worth having a portable (or at least removable) system.

Fill ups are the same price regardless of size of the tank, at least in my experience, so a larger tank eventually pays for itself. I've got a larger than average tank and almost never need more than one fill per year. Although as I get older and now that I'm using the pulse oxymeter that will probably increase.

Dave

Thats one of my points

That was something I thought too. If you use MEDICAL tanks, its no more than $25 for an 02 refill, most medical firms just exchange the tank saving you the certification hydro test worries/costs. If you use an FBO it has been rumoured to be up to as high as $75 a fill regardless of tank size, and if you buy a transfill adapter $200 plus, and rent some welding 02 tanks to fill from $100/year plus for tank rental and gas, seems you would need to split all this with a lot of pilots or use 02 daily to make it worth not going the medical d tank refill route.

Good discussion, not saying one way is better or worse, just like seeing what all are doing and what the real costs/benefits are.

That was something I thought too. If you use MEDICAL tanks, its no more than $25 for an 02 refill, most medical firms just exchange the tank saving you the certification hydro test worries/costs. If you use an FBO it has been rumoured to be up to as high as $75 a fill regardless of tank size, and if you buy a transfill adapter $200 plus, and rent some welding 02 tanks to fill from $100/year plus for tank rental and gas, seems you would need to split all this with a lot of pilots or use 02 daily to make it worth not going the medical d tank refill route.

Good discussion, not saying one way is better or worse, just like seeing what all are doing and what the real costs/benefits are.
I don't have the answers either but am struggling with getting O2 tanks filled here. The medical O2 sounds good except that none of the medical gas supply houses will even discuss O2 with me unless I have a prescription from a doctor.

I should have mentioned that I've never paid more than $25 for an FBO refill, when I carried my bottle to them.

Dave

I was three years with medical bottles and while I had no problems getting them filled at home it was annoying to go to the hospital, parking fees, waits etc. Also impossible to get O2 from an hospital while on the road, thus it limited my use on long trips. I did two things to help with that.

a. I went with the Mountain High system and it more then doubled my time per bottle
b. Got a refill hose so that I could fill from my own welding tank when it was full and from the local welding shop when required. $20 got me a "lifetime" supply of refills; nice guys. This bottle can also be filled at airports while away which my medical bottle could not.

Until I tried the MH system I was not really sure it was worth the money but the savings in TIME while traveling, go a long ways towards paying the extra money for the system.

We spend a fair amount of time at 11500-12500, with occasional excursions higher. but always end up thinking about the FARs. I picked up a Pulse Oximeter a while back and the results were eye opening. Time for a system....I had planned on a "roll your own" O2 system. But kept waffling on what to get, will it work properly, what about refilling, etc.

I finally broke down and ordered a Aeromedix system. I managed to get in on the Osh Special, a savings of 15%.

M tank(22cuft), regulator, 2 Oximizer cannulas, 1 mask, filled and delivered for $350.
801d8a10343c84888b4e152c623317c3_zpsb7cbe1f2.jpg

Pulse oximeter

I bought a pulse oximeter from Anti Splat. Yes, very enlightening. 92 percent saturation is as low as you want to go and I found I was hitting this below 10000. I live near sea level, so highlanders will probably reach the 92 mark at higher altitudes than me. Low o2 levels are insidious and impairment may go unnoticed. Get an oximeter, at $40 it is well worth it and may surprise you.

Last edited:
should we make a poll? :)

sounds like a lot of us SHOULD have o2, but perhaps are 'cheating' a little when we have to do the short hops over the rocks.

can those who have said their sats werre 'interesting' or 'eye-openers' share them?
I bought a Pulse Ox and found at 6000' on a recent flight, I was at about 92...and am a slim, non-smoker that gets zero exercise.
As mentioned, everyone has a different tolerance, but what is the generally advised level ror use of o2, and how much?

In the interests of good airmanship, can anyone summarize the legal regs for us?
I think this is the applicable Canuck version...

(1) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 10,000 feet ASL but not exceeding 13,000 feet ASL, each crew member shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for any part of the flight at those altitudes that is more than 30 minutes in duration.

(2) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 13,000 feet ASL, each person on board the aircraft shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for the duration of the flight at those altitudes.

the pendant style oximizers are much better

but now I have gone to the pulse demand system that mountain high sells, and it's night and day difference in consumption.

Back