What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Quiz

:)

I got 80%, but since I'm not current in tailwheels, I guess that's ok. :)
Thanks for the entertainment Dan!
Good luck on your -8!

quiz

Hey, I got 100%! This is good because by biennial is coming up in Aug and I need to brush up. I've been logging C-140 time in preparation for my RV7 if I can ever get it started.

wheelies and crosswind?

Looks like AOPA does not have any taildragger pilots on staff.

I was surprised to see AOPA unilaterally state....

"It's often best to use a wheel landing in crosswind conditions to prevent ground loops".

Huh????? I have never seen a Pitts use a wheel landing in a crosswind.

I disagree. I would say it depends upon the aircraft and pilot.

Me, I prefer a two point landing in crosswind conditions, tailwheel and one main, with the wing down... but then again I'm just a PA-11 & Citabria flyer working on my RV-8.

-Mike Draper
RV-8
Panel almost fully wired

Last edited:
drill_and_buck said:
Looks like AOPA does not have any taildragger pilots on staff.

"It's often best to use a wheel landing in crosswind conditions to prevent ground loops".

I disagree. I would say it depends upon the aircraft and pilot.

Me, I prefer a two point landing in crosswind conditions, tailwheel and one main, with the wing down... but then again I'm just a PA-11 & Citabria flyer working on my RV-8.

-Mike Draper
RV-8
Panel almost fully wired
Yeh, I got 100 percent too, but just because I know the conventional, and what I consider to be often wrong, wisdom. They did fine on the questions based on regulations and then stepped way out on a limb with opinions.

Sweet 100%

Now that I have 100%.... Gee, all those questions from AOPA about the legalities of tailwheel flying sure helped sharpen my tailwheel skills!

NOT! :rolleyes:

You'd think they'd ask some real questions. Should have had George (gmcjetpilot) do the quiz to make it worthwhile. That's pretty sad that most of the questions AOPA could come up with are FAR related. AOPA's not really in touch with us tailwheel brethren are they?

drill_and_buck said:

I disagree. I would say it depends upon the aircraft and pilot....

-Mike Draper
RV-8
Panel almost fully wired

Same here. I made an 80% and only missed the questions about crosswind landings. I totally disagree with their reasoning. I would prefer to have all 3 wheels on the ground and using t/w stearing, braking, and power to control it instead of trying to control everything with just rudder as the tail transitions down.

Just my opinion...

Karl

100% here

This forum is the only place I have ever heard about 3 pointing X-wind landings.

My instructors have always told me to do a wheel landing, get the airplane under control, and then let the tail down and pin it with aft elevator.

The truth is, whatever works for you is good.

Funny but there wasn't one question about down wind landings, such as you might use when landing up hill.

Personally, I always disliked landing downhill. Heck, I don't even like taxiing down hill in a TW.

I got 80%, too - because of the two "opinion" questions! :)

The way I see it, a 3 pointer (or a 2 pointer as described above) gives you great control if done properly, i.e. touchdown in a stall. The airplane is done flying, weight on the mains and tailwheel, so control is there.
My problem with the wheelies is that there is a period of time (however short) where you may be very vulnerable to an unexpected gust while bringing the tail down. Plus, in the 170, finessing one main onto the ground in a gusty x-wind without a bounce is exceedingly difficult to do well.

They all finish as 3 pointers in the end!

Thomas

TShort said:
My problem with the wheelies is that there is a period of time (however short) where you may be very vulnerable to an unexpected gust while bringing the tail down.
That's why, when the winds are gusting, I add power as I'm bringing the tail down.

RV8N said:
Same here. I made an 80% and only missed the questions about crosswind landings. I totally disagree with their reasoning. I would prefer to have all 3 wheels on the ground and using t/w stearing, braking, and power to control it instead of trying to control everything with just rudder as the tail transitions down.

Just my opinion...

Karl

Another 80% because of the crosswind landing questions. This totally depends on the airplane. AOPA is just totally clueless, as usual, and is just parroting what they hear their Cirrus and King Air drivers talking about in the lunch room. :D

At least they're putting up a good fight on user fees...makes my membership worth it.

I also don't agree on the X-wind landings. I personaly three point in x-winds (2point on upwind main and tw if you want to get technical). That is in evrything from a J3 to a Pitts to a T-6. I like to have the airplane all done flying when it touches down and the tailwheel on the ground and in control. At my airport I get a lot of practice in light to heavy x-winds. But it all comes down to whatever works for you and what you are comforatable with. Don

Comparing X-wind notes

Since we are all comparing.... For lighter x/winds, I do wheelies on one wheel, but once the winds are fierce, I just deal with the RV-8's mediocre three point behavior and come down two point (upwind main and TW). I agree, when possible three point landings (really 2 point) favoring the upwind wheel are best.

Dan - interesting comment about adding power, that is a good tip and something I've never tried, but that will give you lots of additional control provided you have a long enough runway, which most do.

I got 100% on the quiz too, because I knew what answers they wanted, but I've been flywheel airplanes for 50+ years and so far, have never groundlooped. I choose three point landings in most every condition. The closest I've come to rolling an airplane up in a pile of wreckage was during a wheel landing in a gusty crosswind, just as the tail was starting to settle. I was able to save it with a blast of power. It was close to going around and I was still rolling fast enough to tear the gearbox out if it did. Lately I've been flying an RV-6, a Cessna 120 and an N3N-3 with a R-985 up front. The N3N does not have a steerable tailwheel, but it does lock for take offs and landings.

10/10

In the Luscombe I had, I found it was generally easier for me to carry a little more speed and land on the upwind main in a crosswind. As the plane slowed, I'd drop the other main or tailwheel next depending on how strong the wind was. Don't know abut the RV, never flown one... yet.

Bill Settle
-8 Wings

Hey Bob, I've got around 300hrs in an N3N. We had a very stock one with the 30x5 tall skinney tires. That airplane could be a real bear in a strong x-wind. Don

I can hear still hear my TW instuctors voice

"Boy, all your doing in a wheel landing is prolonging the agony. That tail has to come down sometime" :p

He was a primary flight instructor during WWII and he is still flying! So as you might guess, I am a fan of the three point. The best technique is the technique that works best for you, there is no absolute here IMHO.

I got 80%. I don't think the writer of that test flies tailwheel airplanes though. I don't care what the conditions are, when I touch the ground I want to be going as slow as is safe. That usually means a 3 point landing. I've never been in cross-winds that I couldn't 3-point it. Well, maybe 2-point it until the other wing stops flying in a crosswind. :)

Back