What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler duct adapter

stneki

Well Known Member
Patron
Need help locating a 3 inch to 4 inch adapter for the scat tubing for a firewall mounted oil cooler.

Thanks Steve

Hey Steve,
I don't know which way you are adapting or why but I had a problem with cooling with my firewall mounted cooler. I had originally used the square cut Van's 3" fitting at the oil cooler. I decided to try a better transition so I made my own out of fiberglass. You may be best making your own as well. Simple to do.

I made mine out of 6061. I bought a 4" diam AL tube and 040 sheet from Spruce. I cut a slice of the tube, cut pieces of the sheet to make a trapezoidal box. I had all the pieces welded together at the fab shop at the Air Force base I was stationed. I was going to get 063 to make it easier to weld, but the guy said he could do it. And he did a fabulous job. 7 years and 850 hours later, it's still like brand new!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Here are a couple of pics. The flange on the baffle was done in the same manner.
2v8r5f9.jpg

or2eit.jpg

I have seen a similar thing done with aluminum by riveting the pieces together, either by bending tabs and/or using some .032 angle.

Last edited:
Make your own

IMG_2017.JPG

This 5" into 4" works very well on my RV10.
Nice gentle curve and smooth fiberglass walls.

Wish I had my 3D printer years ago when I was fabbing parts from scratch with fiberglass. Using it to print plastic molds is a piece-o-cake.

Wish I had my 3D printer years ago when I was fabbing parts from scratch with fiberglass. Using it to print plastic molds is a piece-o-cake.

Bob, does the printer produce a smooth finish or would you have to sand/smooth it before applying the PVA?

Using ABS filament you can throw the part in a jar along with a small cup inside it filled with acetone, then you put it back on the printer and use the heated build platform as a hotplate of sorts. The acetone vapor will smooth the part.

I have a Reprap iteration 2 and printing with .2mm layer height with a .35mm nozzle I get good surface finish on outside perimeters.

http://blog.reprap.org/2013/02/vapor-treating-abs-rp-parts.html

Last edited:
Back