- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:04 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who have responded thus far about RAR engine setup. Bob, I met you once in Sacramento in 2019 during my very first clinic which was with the Beech Boys. I was flying a RV6A with an O320 and a CS prop. great all around combination, great Vans RV performance, but I soon found out that there was more to be had (power and speed that is).
The current setup in my RV6 with a Titan XIO370 and a CS prop means the plane will fly at redline if one leaves the power all the way in which I don't for obvious reasons-fuel burn, the bumps and I'm not in that big of a hurry!
Getting back to the Reno Air Races-obviously I need to gather more information and it seems to me that the best way to do that is to attend the races, get into the pits and hang out with the racers and mechanics. The awards banquet is also quite appealing!
Getting back to that Sacramento meeting, you came into the room and everyone started whispering "That's Bob Mills...head of the Reno Air Races...etc!" You then gave us a brief talk about PRS and the Reno Air Races and encouraged us newbie formation pilots.
So, its very cool that you responded to my post and I look forward to meeting you again in the future!
2002 RV6 Titan IOX370 CS Acquired 2021
Old 05-16-2022, 08:49 AM

I'm not trying to get more power. I want to decrease my EGT/TIT. I'm having to run about 3 extra GPH to keep the TIT in range. I used to have an IO-360 natural with 10:1 and lean of peak it reduced the CHT from 380 to 290 and EGT. I was thinking it might help my IO-540. I can control the boost pressure with an adjustable screw.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Remember, you are going to really struggle with knock sensors that actually sense knocks on these engines.
Larry
Can you point me to more info on this statement? Links to articles or other backgrounds? I want to do some UL94 testing on a 9:1 IO375 and need a reliable knock sensor in order to pull it off.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbmaster View Post
Getting back to the Reno Air Races-obviously I need to gather more information and it seems to me that the best way to do that is to attend the races, get into the pits and hang out with the racers and mechanics. The awards banquet is also quite appealing!
Getting back to that Sacramento meeting, you came into the room and everyone started whispering "That's Bob Mills...head of the Reno Air Races...etc!" You then gave us a brief talk about PRS and the Reno Air Races and encouraged us newbie formation pilots.
So, its very cool that you responded to my post and I look forward to meeting you again in the future!
Been heads-down a bit building wings and prepping for PRS (and getting a G200 type rating so I could fail airline retirement ). Finally catching up.

Ron, I remember the meeting now. It would be great to have you up to the races, and youíd be most welcome to poke around the pits, meet the racers and take in the whole process. Thatís true for other readers tooÖwe love to share the experience. And Ron, I donít run anythingÖIím just the current chief cook and bottle washer for the sport class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmaker View Post
I'm not trying to get more power. I want to decrease my EGT/TIT. I'm having to run about 3 extra GPH to keep the TIT in range. I used to have an IO-360 natural with 10:1 and lean of peak it reduced the CHT from 380 to 290 and EGT. I was thinking it might help my IO-540. I can control the boost pressure with an adjustable screw.
For racing, we accomplish this with ADI (anti-det injection into the engine intake system, using water meth) and with water sprayed on the cylinders. Both are very effective, but also logistic hassles for a daily driver. I did a lot of work on my baffles for the Super Glasair too. Standard stuff, plugging leaks and ensuring good flow past the forward left and aft right cylinders, and between cylinders. I also worked on exit shape, and even worked with exhaust augmenters. Not sure there is any one magic trick. Power management and speed management in the climb can also be critical. In the Super Six, I have to manage my throttle hand in a sea level climb, and a slow airspeed climb is a hot climb, so I try to stay fast and just climb at 500 fpm when I donít have restrictions (terrain, airspace or ATC). Just some thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
Can you point me to more info on this statement? Links to articles or other backgrounds? I want to do some UL94 testing on a 9:1 IO375 and need a reliable knock sensor in order to pull it off.
If youíre speaking of an AFR, Iíve had good luck with a Ballenger AFR500 and the NTK sensors. If you mean a sensor that actually indicates impending detonation, Iíd like to learn more about that too.

Cheers,
Bob
Georgetown, TX
President/Sport 49, Sport Class Air Racing
Trustee, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Old 06-04-2022, 10:44 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmills View Post
Been heads-down a bit building wings and prepping for PRS

Cheers,
Bob
Missed you at the appreciation dinner tonight.

Will you be at PRS next week?? Laura and I are going to be working pylons, we need to get together.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."