What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon 5.1 software bug

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Dynon has been contacted about a small number of EFIS units that have incorrect attitude displays after upgrading to 5.1. It appears to affect a very small percentage of customers, but for now we have removed the download of the 5.1 software and are investigating a fix. We expect to have an updated version of software shortly. This problem is so rare that it didn't get caught even with units in many, many beta test aircraft.

If you have already downloaded and installed 5.1 on an EFIS, please consider reverting to an earlier backup of the unit if you need to use the attitude as a primary reference or wait for the software update. If your attitude looks fine under 5.1 and you wish to continue using 5.1, then please test it with no GPS data being sent to the EFIS. If it still looks OK with no GPS, then the attitude is trustworthy in all situations.

EMS only units (D10, D120) are unaffected.

Thanks Dynon for having the "spheres" to come out with this statement and warning.

Godspeed in finding the fix!

The AP does follow some data from the attitude, so yes, if your attitude is out of whack, the AP will not fly great. At the same time, there is no specific issue we know of with the AP.

so if the altitude is in line with my steam gauge than I should be ok.

Last edited:
Oh, the reason I'm asking is I went directly to 5.1 for first flight.

Last edited:
Oh, the reason I'm asking is I went directly to 5.1 for first flight.

I've been flying 5.1 in its beta pre-release form for a month now and it has been stable for me. In other words, I haven't hit this bug yet.

The good news is Dynon was open and honest about the problem and will have a fix out soon.

As Brantel said, it is good to see they had the "tenders" to make a public announcement about the issue.

Jim,

It appears so. An AP neighbor and VAF guy (-9A) had the attitude issue after installing 5.1, and it was fixed with 5.1.1. I waited to see his results, and went directly from 5.0 to 5.1.1, and have had no issues at all. Small sample of results, but it looks like 5.1.1 is good to go.

Cheers,
Bob

attitude issue?

Is this where D10A indicates left wing diown, heading precessed right in flight, thus erroneous wind readouts, but all normal on ground? Just got mine up and flying yesterday. 5.1.1 installed. Being fed by GPS 296 and ext magnetometer. Thanks.

Works great downunder too.........and the horizon is the right way up! :D

Edited to pick up my clumsy fingers....who ever put the i beside the o on a keyboard!!!!!

Last edited:
Works great downunder too.........and the horizin is the right way up! :D

G'day mate! How are you to-die? Horizin? Is that Strine for horizon? If so no worries son.

I was in Brissy about 5 years ago had a great time. I envy you living in such a lovely country.

England for the Ashes!

For our American cousins here is a rough translation of the above:

Hello RV10inOz, I think you misspelled horizon.

I was in Brisbane 5 years ago .........etc.

I hope England beat Australia in the next Ashes Test Cricket series due to start in Cardiff, Wales on 8th July.

Safe landings.

If you have 5.1.1 and are having those issues you have something else going on. 5.5.1 fixed the problem that was appearing on a few units (it did not happen with my system). Have you performed a accurate compass calibration? If not that's the first place I'd start diagnosing the problem you're having.

GPS 296 input disable

Per previous post, disable GPS 296 output to D10A, and roll/hdg issues, in flight only, go away. All I lose is/are winds as not trying to drive A/P with D10A. Go figure. Will re-cal ext magnetometer, and play with GPS 296 output settings, but guessing this is a D10A firmware 5.1.1 issue?

XFer Speed..

I upgraded for 4.0 something to 5.1.1 and after the upgrade I had all the proper indications on my HSI screen except the Magenta CDI. All other GPS info displayed correctly off my 496. To get the CDI to reappear I had to go into the Advanced NMEA output setup, (page 125 of the 496 manual) and change the Output rate from FAST to NORMAL and the CDI was back.
I called Mike at Dynon tech support and he knew the answer to this in two blinks of an eye.. Great support again from the Dynon folks.

Just an FYI, as for the situation with the 296 messing with the heading, we've only heard one report of this, and we've flown quite a few hours with a 296 hooked up with no issues. So something is clearly odd, but it doesn't appear to be a widespread problem, and may not actually be a problem with the software at all. We'll keep looking, but at this point we don't think there are any issues with the 5.1.1 software (at least as it relates to attitude performance)

By the way..

Just an FYI, as for the situation with the 296 messing with the heading, we've only heard one report of this, and we've flown quite a few hours with a 296 hooked up with no issues. So something is clearly odd, but it doesn't appear to be a widespread problem, and may not actually be a problem with the software at all. We'll keep looking, but at this point we don't think there are any issues with the 5.1.1 software (at least as it relates to attitude performance)

On your software download page, it still shows 5.1 at the top with a date of 5/22/09. Only if you scroll down do you see that 5.1.1 exists with a date of 6/4/09. My D-10A had the attitude problem after installing 5.1, but I flew with it for almost a month because I kept going back to your download page and didn't see 5.1.1 reference until I scrolled down. I knew that the fix existed via this forum, but your website didn't make it obvious. You might want to address that...

Thanks,.

Thanks for pointing that out. Nobody mentioned it before, which is why it's still that way. We'll get it fixed ASAP.

Back