What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chase plane in Quantum of Solace

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Was watching the 007 movie tonight and for a moment I thought the black chase plane could have been a RV......Might have even been Black Magic!

Did some research and it appears to be an Aermacchi SF-260 unless someone knows different. I checked out the specs on it and low and behold, our homebuilts can out run it.

Maybe in one of the next Bond movies, you might see a RV....You know there is always a plane or two every one of those flicks.

it appears to be an Aermacchi SF-260 unless someone knows different.

Yep, that's Steve Hinton flying the SF-260. They're nice airplanes, but I definitely think RVs have more bang for the buck. RVs get the same cruising speeds out of 100 less horsepower!

I flew the "Waco Meteor" version of it many years ago, and it was certainly capable and fun. Paint any airplane black and it'll look perfect for a James Bond movie... (Right, Dana?) :D

Steve Hinton

Everyone should know that Steve Hinton runs Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA. It's a MUST see airplane museum if ever nearby. Fm Orange Co/KSNA area about 30 mins drive. Several last one in flyable condition example aircraft, quite a place, and everybody is super nice. Got to go back to shop and see a P-51 that was being restored. Fascinating.

Last edited:
Steve Hinton

There is another thing Steve is famous for. He starts all of the Unlimited races at Reno each year.

He takes off in the T-33 Shooting Star pace plane for each Unlimited race. He gets all the race planes lined up for the race and on the run to the first pylon you will hear him say "Looking good gentleman we have a race"! And off they go.

Well yes but ...

Back in the 80s Steve Hinton won the unlimited gold championship flying a super Corsair while Bob Hoover started the race in his P-51. He has long been associated with Reno and the making of movies and he has paid dearly. I always sit through the credits at the end of the movies to see who participated in the flying and his name and Cliff Fleming are two names I recognize immediately.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I flew the "Waco Meteor" version of it many years ago, and it was certainly capable and fun. Paint any airplane black and it'll look perfect for a James Bond movie... (Right, Dana?) :D

Yes it does...................although I'm still waiting on the call from Bond, James Bond...;)

Back