What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Gear - What a Drag!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It?s great having a wife who owns her own RV - I am never at a loss for gift ideas, as long as I have a Van?s catalog! ;)(Guys, be very, very, very careful with this ?advice??.:eek:)

One of Louise?s goals since she bought her RV-6 was to update the landing gear fairings and wheel pants - the original, two-piece aluminum gear leg fairings were badly cracked, and the (also) original wheel pants were known to be draggy and also showing their age. I figured a complete make-over would not only relieve us of some maintenance headaches and improve performance, but provide a good fabrication and assembly learning experience as well. So for Christmas, she opened a big box full of raw fiberglass parts and a card promising my undivided assistance and instruction. We went with stock Van?s pressure recovery pants, gear leg fairings, and lower intersection fairings. Having had good luck with the Upper fairings from Fairings Etc, I bought a pair of these to make the process quicker.

Building out the fairings is a topic for another post, but I wanted to post some speed results while they were still fresh in my mind - it should give folks a relative idea of what you can get with no fairings, old fairings, and a complete new set. The data collection process was simple - we took several long cross-country?s during the upgrade process, and I simply took a ?Mind-Weighted-Average? of the True Airspeed shown on the Dynon. (That means that after we set up our normal, steady-state cruise, I looked at the numbers periodically for awhile, and picked what looked to be the average.) Since we were generally cruising about 8,000? with the throttle wide open and leaned out, the numbers can be compared directly. Fuel was generally about in the middle, and baggage loading was the same. I?d say the numbers are probably good plus or minus two knots - take them for what they?re worth.

With the ?Original fairings? (remember, Mikey is kit number 4), we were seeing about 164 knots True on a trip to and from Minneapolis in April. The number is pretty accurate - there isn?t much to do along that route but watch data!

Flying to the Pecan Plantation Fly-in with NO fairings of any kind (we were picking them up from the paint shop that day), we were seeing about 147 knots. Oh wait - the gear legs did have the wooden stiffeners installed, so we weren?t presenting round legs top the airstream - my old aero knowledge says that is probably good for a few knots!

Flying home from Pecan, with Mikey?s new shoes, all spiffy?ed up, we saw a good 168 knots TAS - in my book, that?s pretty good for a -6 with a 180 Horse Carbed motor that has 1600 hours on it!

So, in summary:

No fairings - 147 KTAS
Old fairings - 164 KTAS
New Fairings - 168 KTAS

Yes - fairings make a difference - a HUGE difference!

Paul

Unfaired gear legs are VERY draggy

Paul, I assume the old wheel pants were the one piece kind that fit down over the top of the tire? I had those on my RV4, and someone told me the new pants were worth 5 mph, so that jives with your findings. Nice gain!

About the gear legs themselves: Unfaired gear legs will be very draggy due to the horrendously big drag numbers a cylinder presents at low speed (low Re = separation occurring before laminar/turbulent transition). As a meaningful comparison, the cylinder has a C_d of just under 1.0, while our airfoil is only about .006. So, for their size the gear legs are about 160 times the drag of the airfoil! Good thing they're also 60 times smaller in chord and around 4 times shorter in length.

I'll be interest in both your final numbers and seeing the "how you did it post".

I've been flying without any fairing since my first flight and have been working diligently on the main gear fairing. I've been seeing about 140 kts with no fairings. I did a few flights with just the main wheel fairing and did not see much change.

I should have the main gear fairing finished soon and I'm looking forward to getting some speed improvement. After that, it will be time to start on the nose wheel fairing.

Paul,

Those numbers are very interesting. Along the same thought process, how much drag would be associated with a comm antenna? I have two Comant CI-122's on the belly of my 7A. Would it be worth the time to cover them with a fiberglass fairing, changing them from a cylinder to a faired airfoil? Would the antenna still work? I would think the same principle would apply. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Back