What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Tow Bar

Great Product

The Bogi bar is a great product. Easy to use, sturdy, shrinks down for transport and it's pretty light. IMHO, highly recommended.
When I'm traveling and tight on luggage space though, I still take my home made rope and PVC handle. Can't be it for ease of use while on the go.

light weight 2 piece

I have a very light weight 2 piece tow bar that attaches to the tailwheel bolt, with the tension provided by the spring/flex of it's tubing. No locking levers, etc. Very simple. The catch? Came with the airplane so don't know source, but does not take much of a tow bar to move an RV around, and this one is plenty. And if 2 piece, fits nicely into baggage area of RV-6.

The standard Cessna 150 towbar (ACS p/n 13-01800, $34) works fine with my tailwheels. Or you can roll your own for about $5. See below. It's made from ordinary electrical conduit. Just make sure that the conduit you buy will fit over the nut/bolt in your tailwheel, i.e. a little over 5/8" I.D. will work fine.

Towbar%202.jpg
strap loose, ready to install

Towbar.jpg
strap tight, push, pull, or fly to Alaska... it won't come off

The ONLY drawback to this towbar is that it isn't made to fold up.... but ingenious RVers can certainly modify that problem with a pair of nested tube and pip pins.

Is anyone using the Bogi-Bar to tow on grass? I'm on a grass strip and have both a Taildragger Dragger and a Deluxe Cessna Towbar...neither one works on grass. Winds up slipping off of the tailwheel. Need for RV6.

I discovered the neat trick of wrapping a nylon strap (like from a ratchet strap) around the tailwheel spring so that both ends feed out below the steering bracket. Wrap an end around each arm and pull.

I guess this is of no help if you have one of those fancy streamlined tailwheel arms or if you want to push, but this is light and won't mess up your compass.

Yes, I have used one and the Cessna deluxe towbar without any issue.

However, I have a longer bolt with bushings installed which works well with both towbars.

I have turned the handle 90 degrees so I can pull the plane around the grass with my lawn tractor / tug.

I bet he has one by now. The OP started this thread 5 years ago. :D:D Gotcha Bill....
However, I LOVE my Bogi-Bar.

http://bogertaviation.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23

TEKASSIST

I purchased the TEKASSIST a couple of weeks ago.

I haven?t had a good test yet but I am moving my project to the airport this weekend and will get to actually moving the plane around some then.

It looks sweet, it is well built and attaches to the tail wheel real easily. I like the way it doesn?t touch the tail wheel fork or wheel axle bolt. I am a little concerned about hitting the bottom of the rudder when I am sliding it under the wheel so I may put some padding on the handle in the area of the rudder. Or I could just be careful.

I can post some pictures next week or email anyone some. At this point I would recommend it.

The first thing to do is get one of Vince Frazier's' tail wheel steering arm that has the built in tie down ring. Then make what I call a "hockey stick" tow bar that slips into the ring. I ground down a large bolt to have a Hook that captured the ring on the steering arm. It makes moving the plane around easy and also allows the use of a tail faring. BTW this tail faring has over 700 hours of grass strip use and is quite low to the ground.

2zyh2k9.jpg

2s6a6a0.jpg

I have an Aviation Products Inc. tailwheel, they don't have a website, and the bolt is about an inch in diameter. I did use a Cessna 150 tow bar but that only works on the Vans Rv8 tailwheel. This bolt is bigger. What would y'all recommend to use? I was thinking of the Bogert tow bar.

http://www.skygeek.com/4-rv.html

Back