What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where does Carb Temp Probe Go on a MA4-5?

Brantel

Well Known Member
Before I screw up my good carb, can someone show me a pic of what to remove or drill out in order to install the carb temp sensor in a MA4-5 carb????

I found some post for the smaller carbs but non for the larger ones :confused:

Hi Brian, Hopefully you have the threaded plug in the front (as installed) of the carburetor. I sent a picture to your email listed at VAF since I'm unable to insert a picture here.

Mitch Garner
RV-4, PL-4 flying

probe depth

I understand that there is caution on having the probe reach too far into the carb, i.e. will disrupt airflow, etc.. Don't have a pub or any spec on this. Anybody else?

Do NOT drill anything. There is a threaded plug to remove at the top front of the carb, and your probe should screw right in.

Before I screw up my good carb, can someone show me a pic of what to remove or drill out in order to install the carb temp sensor in a MA4-5 carb????

Brian, before you go to the trouble of installing the carb temp probe, you might want to search the forum archives concerning temp probes. There was a lengthy thread on this subject in the past year or so.

It seems to be commonly accepted that carb temp probes are pretty much useless because they usually indicate the temp of the carb body instead of the air mass and carb internals. This is borne out by my experience with having a temp probe for the past ten years in my O-320 RV-6. If installing a carbed engine today I would skip the carb temp probe.

I agree with Sam 100%... unless somehow modified, that thing just doesn't work properly and ends up being a waste of time.. (don't recall ever seeing it read below 120 degrees!!)... I wouldn't bother if I was doing it again..

I agree with Sam 100% too.

Although the carb probe measures the temperature of the carb body and not the temperature of the air going through the carb, it is the carb body that will accumulate the ice, if the temperature gets low enough and the conditions are right.

It doesn’t really matter if the air temp is 100, 50, 32, or -10. If the air is moisture laden and the temp drops significantly AND the carb is warm, you run very little risk of carb ice.

Radomir is also correct. In my installation the carb temp is always well above freezing and goes up when I close throttle and slow down for landing. I suspect this is because less air is going through the cowling and what air that is in there has a chance to heat up.

If you pull the carb heat on, it only raises the carb temp a few degrees with the stock carb heat muff.

Last edited:
Yep,

Understand about all that.... The probe comes in the sensor kit so I am putting it on because I have it. If I did not already have it, I would'nt bother.

Thanks!

If you do go ahead...

...and install the probe, then the pictures on pages 7 and 8 of the STC installation instructions for the Richter B-5 probe will help.

http://64.13.249.214/images/uploads/B5.pdf

If you have an old Marvel carb. with no plug in it, then the probe hole does exist, but is filled with lead according to the above instructions.

I wonder is some of the problems reported above are due to using non-STC'd probes with possibly different internal heat conduction paths.... The B-5 probe being $200-$300 will cause copying...:)

Has anyone reported getting really bad (non-existant?) reading with a real B-5 probe?

Last edited:
SOME PROBES DO WORK

The carb probe that came with my original VM1000C was pretty much useless and I presume was measuring the temp of the carb body as others have described. I swapped the monitor and probes for the newer VM1000C that has the JPI innards and probes (when JPI took-over VM) and this newer probe does seem to accurately measure the carb air temp.

Fin
9A

Back