What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Timing Confusion

Bushcaddy

Well Known Member
Gentlemen, bear w/me here as I have never timed mags before. A previous thread w/a discussion on where the impulse coupling should trip has me confused. I thought I had properly timed my mags but now I'm not sure.

I have a O235 L2C, which according to my engine log book should be set up at 20* BTDC.

I followed the timing procedure outlined on the Sacskyranch.com website and also found a version of this demystified by an RV builder, that I followed.

Here's what I did, pls tell me if I'm missing something:

1. set the E-gap on mags (both L rotation, left mag is IC # 4381, Right is # 4370)
2. inserted the pin, in the hole marked L on back of each mag.
3. turned the flywheel 2 revolutions in direction of prop travel until I could hear air coming out of #1 spark plug hole. Continued rotation in direction of prop travel, until the 20* timing mark on the flywheel, lined up with the hole at 2 o'clock position of starter.
4. installed mags in the engine case and finger tightened the nuts.
5. removed the pins and attached a light/buzz box.
6. rotated each mag back and forth a little until each light just came on,
7. backed the flywheel off until until both lights went off.
8. rotated flywheel slowly in direction of prop travel, both lights come on at the same time that the timing mark lines up with the hole in the starter.
9. the IC trips up near TDC.

Is it timed properly or am I going back to the drawing board?

Thanks!!

me too

Sounds exactly how I did mine, just installed a new mag. O360 timing mark/starter located 4 oclock, otherwise same procedure. Have IC left, non IC right. Start, do a mag check, go fm there.

Real simple

To check them after install, turn the prop past the marks on no.1 compression until the impulse coupling clicks then back it until just before the timing mark and sneak up on it in the proper direction. Both mag's points should open on the mark.

Don

Back