What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus II and iPad Mini 3

dahugo

The partner and i just shelled out the bucks for this set-up to compliment our D180, AP74 and 430w which are permanent installs plus the 496 with satellite Wx. We bought the Ram dual suction cup mount and will install in our 9a. So here are my questions:

Best location for stratus II?
Best location for iPad?
Hardwire either or both?

Anyone have experience with this set up?

We fly out of DTN and 90 percent of my flying is in the state of LA, so what kinda range can i expect on the Stratus with my flights at 6500 agl or less? I sure would love to cancel the Sirius wx subscription but as we are vfr rated only at this point, that 496 satellite wx has paid for itself in several flights already during summer months when it's hot as balls in Louisiana and thunderstorms constantly pop up during the day.

I have the same setup in my Cherokee (still building the 7A) and love it. The Stratus II should, ideally, be center-line in the aircraft (like ADAHRS) with a good view of the sky to get the most satellites and ADS-B reception. I put mine on top of the glare shield just to the right of the center post.

If heat takes it down, go for the remote antenna and put the device out of sunlight. I live in Georgia and, on the few flights I've used it, heat was not a problem but the internal cooling fan did kick in, which uses the battery faster.

I do not have XM weather on my 496 only because I opted for the Stratus II instead (similar price compared to 2 yr XM subscription). However, XM weather is a little more timely with updates (so I've heard). ADS-B weather can be up to 5 minutes old. I am OK with the delay and steer clear of clouds using the Mark I eyeball. Knowing where storms are brewing, IMO, enough to keep me out of the soup.

EDIT: Best location for iPad is: anywhere out of direct sunlight. It will overheat and shut down. If you can direct cooling air onto it, direct sunlight can be mitigated.

Hardwire?: Not yet but I plan to install several USB ports in my 7A panel from L-Com.

I have been using stratus II in my 7A for several flights and so far am not impressed with it's performance. I had hoped to keep it down low mid floor area and use the remote antennae, but that only worked well for the GPS. Moving the ADSB antenna around did not help much.

On my last trip, I put it ( no remote antenna) behind me, suction cupped to the plexi along the roll bar brace on my tip up canopy, then moved it up on either side and then the middle of the front part of the canopy. It seems that none of these locations gets a very good view of the ground stations.

Flying up the California valley, Tehachapi to Redding, I thought I should get pretty good coverage but I never did pick up more than one tower. Traffic info was part time but without an "out" signal, maybe that is normal.

I am wondering if my experience is normal for an RV trying to get ADSB without a belly antenna, or if I might have a unit that is not working properly?

I am thinking of getting an adapter to allow connection to a belly mount antenna. Wondering if others have done this and noted improvement in ADSB coverage over trying to get that signal above all that aluminum?

Randall

image-13.jpg

i started out with the 496 in the corner for years. when i got the mini it needed to be in the same place. hard wired for sure. :) the mount is and old gps lorance mount with ram mount ball on top of that. my stratus lays on the glare shield on the right side. hard wired too.

Back