What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 in Wisconsin?

Tommy_gun

I'm New Here
Anyone have an Rv-9 in Wisconsin I can try on? I'm concerned about head room being a really tall guy.

The -9 and -7 are the same size. So, if you are looking for a fit, either will work.

Keep in mind, that the builder may have done different things with the cushions, so the height may not be the same.
The -9 and -9A are the same except the -9A has the gear towers intruding in the cabin, in front of the spar and under your knee.

Thanks all. I'm in west central Wisconsin closer to Lacrosse but will fly where needed. I understand the differences and the ins and outs of builder variation. I just need to see if I fit in the darn thing.

My -9 will be at a little fly-in in WI at the end of the month. I plan to be there July 27-30.

A little info ...

One of my good flying buddies is a bit over 6'4". If I take out the under-seat wedge on his side, his headroom is OK. Not great, but OK with a headset. The bigger problem is leg room. I have the rudder pedals as far fwd as Van recommends (I'm 6'1") and his 6'4" legs are very cramped. For real comfort, he'd have to either move the pedals fwd or the seat back bulkhead further aft.

Call Tom Berge in the Twin Cities, 612-418-9500. He is a CFI and gives transitional training in his RV-7A tip-up. He can can help. Good luck.

Jim

Thanks all. I'm in west central Wisconsin closer to Lacrosse but will fly where needed. I understand the differences and the ins and outs of builder variation. I just need to see if I fit in the darn thing.

... Keep in mind, we offer the almost a 14 seat mod that made my RV-9A comfortable for my 6'5" 320 lb. son and myself at 6'1". The kit is very inexpensive and easy to install. See the video on our website. Thanks, Allan... :D

I used to think us tall guys with RVs had a problem, then I saw Shaq sitting in that Buick...

Bob

Call Tom Berge in the Twin Cities, 612-418-9500. He is a CFI and gives transitional training in his RV-7A tip-up. He can can help. Good luck.

Jim
Agreed. Give Tom Berge a call. If he can't do it himself he can hook you up with some local RV-9 gents. There are several in the cities.

Hey Tom,

I am in Waukesha, give me a call 262-391- seven niner seven tree.

I am 6'2" and my -9 is set up for taller people.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I'm still trying to work out why I'm not getting these posts updated by email so sorry if it takes awhile to get back to you.

Jim

I actually met Tom here at KCMY as he was doing some training with a local pilot on his recent -12 (was a beaut too!) and sat in his plane. At the time I didn't know that the -7 and -9 where the same. Cramped headroom but doable.

... Keep in mind, we offer the almost a 14 seat mod that made my RV-9A comfortable for my 6'5" 320 lb. son and myself at 6'1". The kit is very inexpensive and easy to install. See the video on our website. Thanks, Allan... :D

Allan...looks amazing! Would solve the only issue I have in the -9!

Back