What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight for N868RV!

Craig23

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,

My RV-8 finally flew today on a beautiful, calm morning in Santa Rosa. Like many others, I can't believe how fast I was off the ground. She flew beautifully, in trim without even a heavy wing. The CHT for cylinders 1 and 2 were getting a little high after the long taxi for takeoff, but cooled down nicely once I got my airspeed up. 24 squared gave me about 150 knots indicated without any wheel pants or gear leg fairings. Slow flight seemed docile, so I landed after a short 20 minute flight. My landing was nothing to brag about, but on centerline and where I was aiming.

When I first ran the engine I had problems with it running roughly. I got that fixed and it ran great before and during the flight. Once I was at idle on the ground though it went back to running rough. I also found that I have a small oil leak that had gone undiscovered before. I don't suppose it would be a true first flight without something to work on afterwards. I owe thanks to many people, especially my wife and son for putting up with this obsession of mine. I also want to thank my friends Kevin Quirk, David Lynch, and all the other EAA Chapter 124 members who have given me support and advice. Thanks to Alex for the transition training, and Van's for the great design. Here are some pictures of the big day. I mounted a video camera, but must have hit the wrong button before take off, because it didn't record.

dsc0031wn.jpg

dsc0046qd.jpg

dsc0075edited.jpg

dsc0097edited.jpg

Way to go!!

Nice job Craig. I've followed your build and I'm glad you got in the air. Get that 40 flown off. Have fun, be safe.

Thanks everyone

I wanted to fly again today, but I spent the day tracking down a few engine issues. I had a small oil leak once the oil heated up. I found that I had messed up the threads on the top of oil cooler where the fitting attaches. Time for a new oil cooler.:( Luckily, my friend and EAA Technical Counselor has a spare lying around so I should be flying again soon.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help and advice you have provided. The forums are a great benefit and building would be much harder without the collective expertise and friendship of everyone here.

Take Care,

Back