What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Under Carriage Bolt Tightening

rv8or

Well Known Member
Over the last couple of years there has been a few threads on this chore for the annual. My 8 is still in the building stage, but these problems have been logged into the thickening grey matter. Yesterday we had a rep demonstrate some special locking washers that we are looking to use on our plant. The grey matter thinned a bit and I thought that these washers could be a solution to the undercarriage bolt tightening problem. www.nord-lock.com

These do not undo due to vibration, look at the graphs on the web site. Having had them demonstrated to me and played with them with my own grubby little hands I think that this could be a solution.

Has anybody used these on the 8 for this purpose.

Cheers
Rob

I'm not certain that the nuts are loosening...could the bolts be stretching instead? The best fix for this problem is to begin training a pet chimp to get his little paw in there with a wrench...

Bolt stretching maybe but I have my doubts, maybe it is the component layers settling together and rubbing of high spots etc. I would expect the first annual to have some tightening of the bolt with these lock washers then after that not much more movement.

Now I have just done something I dislike about forums, pontificating without any hard practical evidence and experience. Minus ten points to me.

Anyway back to my original question has any body used these in this application.

It is good to here that they have been used succesfully in other applications.

Cheers
Rob

I'm not certain that the nuts are loosening...could the bolts be stretching instead? The best fix for this problem is to begin training a pet chimp to get his little paw in there with a wrench...

"begin training a pet chimp" lol! that is too funny tinman...still laughing:p

"begin training a pet chimp" lol! that is too funny tinman...still laughing:p

Hey, we're thinking of subcontracting our 6 year old neice to buck the rivets in the tailcone of the -3.....maybe I'll have her check the bolt torque on the -8 while she's around....

Back