What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transistion Training in the NE

sthopkins

I'm in the market to either buy, or start building, a 150/160hp FP -4.

I can afford the aircraft, the monthly, and the insurance (I'm holding several quotes).

Here's the rub - I have no T/D time, currently. All of the quotes require a minimum of 10 hours in a taildragger RV before solo in the -4.

So far as I can tell, my only current option for this is in Northern TX, and it's pretty pricey (I think the 10 hours, with transport to TX, would be ~$3K). Is anyone in the Northeast doing this kind of training? Or am I better off buying a C140 in the interim to build up some taildragger hours?

Would it be possible to get the RV-specific training in a purchased -4? (I know, doubtful).

Last edited:
transition training on Long Island

I know of a few place on Long Island, N.Y. that do tail wheel training, at KISP and HWV. E-mail me if you want info on them. Or you can do what I did and buy a Citabria, find a local instructor and learn in your own plane. I flew my Decathlon for a few years until I got confortable with it and then looked for a RV. The added bonus was the aerobatic training I was able to get in the Decathlon. - Ben

You can't just put an instructor in the back of your 4 for the 10 hours? I was a 200 hour pilot with all my experience on my cherokee 180 when I bought my rv 4. All my insurance required of me was 10 hours tail dragger time which I did right in my 4. The instructor was an extremely well experience instructor but had never flown any type of rv let alone from the back seat. Within probably 2 hours I had it handled. However he did comment that he wouldn't do it again with anyone else. He was well aware of my flying ability so thats why he took the chance in the back seat to train me. In all honesty, with no toe brakes and cramped space with poor visibilty it's not the best trainer. There must be cheaper options available to you than 3000 in training or buying another airplane.
But it is possible if your a proficient pilot to train in your 4.

get TW first...

Scott,
I suggest you find a local flight school and get a TW endorsement. That may take 10 hours or so. Once you have a TW endorsement, you can ask around for an instructor who MIGHT be willing to check you out in a -4.

If not, you will have to train with Mike Seager or Alex in Texas ( or others ). I believe that all of these guys will insist that you have a TW endorsement and be current before they will work with you.

Don't skimp on your training. This is not a formality.

Good luck

John

Thanks everyone. I've been emailing with a CFI who seems like he'll be able to help.

I should clarify - my plan is to get the T/D rating (and some T/D rental hours for comfort) before getting into the RV. I understand that it's not a great trainer, given the back seat conditions.

I was hoping to be able to do the training in my own plane, though, for familiarity reasons and to save on travel + the training.

I just wanted to weigh in on the Mike Seager option. I went to him for both my tailwheel endorsement and transition training and found him to be invaluable. Mike is a fantastic instructor and the price was what I would consider very reasonable. You might want to look in to that option.

RV CFI

Hi, I am Steve Flattum, I have airline benefits and fly for free. I do RV training and first flights all over the country. You provide the RV and I show up. Very affordable. I also do other types including Rockets.

Back