What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil sump preheat pads - what fits?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Okay, it's now warm enough to glue pre-heat pads on the sump.
I read all you folks who have them, but for the life of me I can't see where they fit!!!!!!!! ( 0-320 carbed)
On the right side a 3" x 4" rectangle barely fits between the carb and oil drain, on the left side, there is a space about 2" x 7" available.
apparently if not well bonded, they will burn out.

The nice Reiff dual pad kit definitely will not fit.

what are you using, and where did you get it??????

thx

That's what I installed on my O320-D2A, a Reiff HotStrip Oil Sump Heater System. Didn't have any problems fitting the 2 heat pads and temp sensor to the bottom of my sump. The heat pads are pretty small as I remember, maybe 1 1/2 by 4 inches. I epoxied one pad left of the carb and the other pad & thermostat to the right of the carb.

Last edited:
Reiff

I also have the hotstrip setup on my carb'd 320. I seem to recall one side barely fit, but it did fit. See if you can get the exact dimensions and make cardboard cutouts. Should be do-able though.....

John

Or go to NAPA

I've heard they stock automotive pads.

If you make cardboard cutouts of the available space on your sump and take it to NAPA they should be able to match something close.

As for me I mail ordered a pair of 50W automotive heater pads and stuck them on the "ears' of the FF sump..which in theory has much less room than you do.

i don't run a thermostat and in Western oregon they maintain about 30F above ambient with cowl plugs.

Much cheaper than the "proper" airplane heaters but do the same job.

Frank

heat pads

Ok guys,

I guess from the photos of the Reiff, they look like they are about 3.5" x 4.5", but are really scaled down.
NAPA in Canada don't carry much, incredibly, so will call across the line and see what they have.

thanks,

Back