Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 AM

I removed my small and inadequate halon bottle and installed a longer lasting Element extinguisher in its place. I mounted it in the back window just aft of the canopy latch on my tip up RV7.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RViator60 View Post
Thanks everyone for the excellent comments to my post, that's what makes the VAF great. I'm going to go with the halon extinguisher H3R Model A344T and mount it behind the flap motor panel in the baggage area once I can confirm it would be easy enough to grab in an in-flight emergency situation. I will also buy an Element 50 for the car.
I wonder if the H3R A344T leaks as badly as the H3R model A400 that I had in my RV-8A. I found that they would only last 2-3 years before they had to be discarded and replaced. Pretty bad for a product that expensive, especially since halon isn't supposed to be released into the atmosphere except for emergency use. I have household & hangar fire extinguishers (standard ABC types) that still have full pressure on the gauge 20 years after purchasing, so there's no reason H3R shouldn't be able to do the same.
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...