- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:13 PM

Default critique panel layout

well, it's that time. Thanks to a very understanding wife, all the magic boxes have been stacked up in the corner of the bedroom for a while and it's time to start thinking about panel layout.

Feel free to check out and critique my first attempt at some sort of logical layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N726TS v1..png
Views:	477
Size:	729.8 KB
ID:	19217  
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 12-06-2021, 08:24 PM

I think it looks great. The only suggestion I would make is to swap the audio panel and autopilot. I would want the autopilot closer to the engine controls, flap switch, etc.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback- You may be right, but I forgot to mention it's a slider so theres a rib smack in the middle behind the top of the panel. I put the A/P controller up top because it's much shallow than the other boxes which hopefully will minimize hacking up the sub-structure.

I suppose I could move it to the bottom and move the whole center stack down. I'll mull it over
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 12-06-2021, 08:47 PM

Default Respectfully disagree

Been flying a long, long time in many different types.
IMHO, your placement of the AP controller is very good. Eyes up from your scan, visible when looking out and easily accessible with virtually no distractions.
All of the modern cockpit layouts currently favor that exact location for AP heads.
Boeing, Scarebus, Gulfstream, Pilatus to name a few.
Eyes out as much as possible and placing the control head bottom center does not allow that.
Of course, itís your plane so make it the way YOU like it.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2022

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 12-06-2021, 09:04 PM

+1 on location of the autopilot control panel. What are you doing for a second radio? (assume the gps navigator will have a radio built in) What controls will you have on the control stick? Are you planning on having any separate lamps for aux fuel pump, master caution warning and autopilot servo power indicator? If so they need real estate center top of the panel. Do you have enough circuit breakers?
Other circuits - aux power outlets ( USB, 12 volt) cabin lights, cargo area lights, relay power (if stick switches for flaps,aux fuel pump and autopilot power), defrost fan CB and switch, switch for alternator field and CB, switch for essential bus and CB. I added a couple of dual color LED indicator lamps for the P Mags (I have dual P Mags). I drew out all the wiring diagrams and defined the location of all the components before finalizing the wiring bundle layout and routing and disconnect internal connectors and then finalized the panel layout. I put 4 of the Vans inspection panels across the skin in front of the canopy to help in accessibility for the avionics and wiring troubleshooting. Its real easy to run out of space for the wire bundles.

KT

Last edited by keitht : 12-06-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:05 PM

Default Switch guard

I'd suggest a switch guard on the avionics switch. That's something you don't want to turn off by accident.

I like a key switch. OK, someone can hotwire the plane in short order, but it does slow them down a bit.

I like the Cessna split Alt/Batt switch. Lots of them on eBay for under $40. The used one in my plane has been totally trouble free. The switch has mechanical interlocking so that the Alt can't be powered up w/o the Batt on. And most any A&P probably has one in a bin should it ever give an issue.

You might put in a hole (and wire) for a beacon switch even if you have no imm. plans to put in a beacon --- see the extensive discussion in another thread.

I might put the TOGA switch above the throttle. It looks a bit buried between the alt air and throttle.

I'd use locking toggles for the mags if you don't go the keyswitch route. Locking toggles require you to pull the handle slightly to move them on or off. Prevents accidental bumping of the mag switches.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:08 PM

For as little as you use Alt. Air, I would move it to the R/H side of the quadrant.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Current Project Javron Super Cub
Thank You Doug!
Old 12-06-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8iator View Post
Been flying a long, long time in many different types.
IMHO, your placement of the AP controller is very good. Eyes up from your scan, visible when looking out and easily accessible with virtually no distractions.
All of the modern cockpit layouts currently favor that exact location for AP heads.
Boeing, Scarebus, Gulfstream, Pilatus to name a few.
Eyes out as much as possible and placing the control head bottom center does not allow that.
Of course, itís your plane so make it the way YOU like it.
True but most of these types have Auto-throttle. If your hand is going to be on the throttle all the time then A/P controls nearby make sense.

However in an RV itís 50/50 in my view. Substructure limitations in a slider may be the deciding factor.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:13 PM

Terry,

You could combine the battery alt into one 3 position switch. Also I have a stick start switch which Iím assuming you do too. Someone here suggested to use the batt position for enabling the stick start so you donít need a separate switch for that. That is what I decided to do.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Feel free to check out and critique my first attempt at some sort of logical layout.
Are you far enough into the process to have a wiring diagram that shows circuit protection? The part count of circuit breakers required for a system like this was eye opening for me.

(Are the toggle switches along the bottom row actually Tyco switchable breakers? 'cos that'd help a lot)

- mark