What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B-REP: Tungsten bucking bars

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
Okay, Paul wanted a tungsten bucking bar for his last birthday. I had no experience or real knowledge of bucking bars (beyond understanding that they were a aircraft building tools, no "marital aids"). So, during Oshkosh, I went to someone who I knew understood the tools of building an RV, Martin Sutter.

"Martin, which tungsten bucking bar should I buy for Paul, if he only gets one?"

Martin selected one with a slot for the fingers to hold the bar.

"Martin, I really love Paul a lot. What is the second bucking bar that he should have?"

Martin pulls out a long, slender bar with an inclined head at one end. I bought both (from Avery).

I now have quite a bit of experience with bucking bars as we are on the verge of flipping the -3's canoe. These absolutely are the two bucking bars to have in your tool kit! We use the shorter, slotted one most of the time but the other one is priceless for some settings and the slanted head is particularly handy while rivetting the bulkhead flanges.

IMG_3944.JPG

Thanks for sharing, Louise. I have been considering getting these for my project and may go ahead and do just that.

Good info to have, Louise. These things appeared just as I was done riveting Smokey, of course. But I bought one anyway. It's just a little bugger, but weighs twice as much as the steel ones (or so it seems). If I ever lose my sanity and decide to become a repeat offender, I think I'll invest in a couple more ...

Oh, and are you SURE you really love Paul that much? C'mon, you're among friends ... you can tell us ... :D

Back