What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step-Drill

aviationgeek84

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Newbie question... need to pick up a step-drill to drill the trim cable hole in my forward HS spar for my RV-8. Are Harbor Freight's step-drills adequate for this job? Good enough quality, etc? Need to drill the hole to 5/8" it appears.

I have a smaller step-drill that came with my tool kit from Cleaveland, but it's not large enough.

Thanks!

HF unit should be fine for use in alum, if you have any doubts as to the unit making good round holes, try a couple of test holes in scrap.

Cleaveland Tool

Cleaveland ships a 1/4-3/4 step drill with their kits but larger is needed a few times. I have the Harbor Freight step drills (2 for $10 or so) and can't tell any difference when working with aluminum. I did use the HF on one larger hole in the stainless firewall. Any step drill can work off-center if the material is not clamped on a drill press.:rolleyes:

Be careful of the very large HF step drills. The one I got is highly unbalanced and is almost useless as it is very difficult to control. All the smaller ones seem to work fine.

greg

I have both ...

... high quality step drills from Brown Tool, and the inexpensive ones from HF. Both the high quality ones (like, $17 ea) are 1/2" and smaller; I bought the HF ones later for 1/2" and bigger. No question the Brown Tools bits cut holes easier, smoother, faster. I ALWAYS use them for holes 1/2 " and smaller. The HF units will do in a pinch, but they simply don't cut as well ... and leave a rougher hole. The difference is particularly noticeable on .040, .050, and .063 stock.

Back