What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind GA200L

BH1166

Well Known Member
I cannot afford CS prop, best for most RVs. I know I will likely “set it and forget it ” (thanks Ron Popeil). I think it is a value add the day I sell, and it moves to other than flat land where I live.

Anyone using this ground adjustable prop on an RV that can share experiences. Pretty confident that this will be a vast improvement over my 72x72” Warnke wood prop. See link ..... Need more giddy up...below.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=188116

Thanks

I cannot afford CS prop, best for most RVs. I know I will likely “set it and forget it ” (thanks Ron Popeil). I think it is a value add the day I sell, and it moves to other than flat land where I live.

Anyone using this ground adjustable prop on an RV that can share experiences. Pretty confident that this will be a vast improvement over my 72x72” Warnke wood prop. See link ..... Need more giddy up...below.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=188116

Thanks

*Edited after seeing the rest of the thread on other post*

I'm biassed--currently working at Whirl Wind Propellers. But I switched out my sensenich 70" diameter with 78" pitch for the GA-200L 72". If I pitch it for climb then I notice a big difference in climb, but then I have to run the RPM really high on cruise to get the same speed.

My static RPM was 2350 full throttle when I had it pitched to climb and it went past red line when I leveled out. I imagine you would see a noticeable climb improvement switching to any modern propeller designed for that plane/engine. The main advantage of a ground adjustable is you can choose exactly how much trade-off you want between cruise and climb. I think you have the potential to see an improved climb with almost no tradeoff on cruise with the GA200L.

check out this thread: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=178574

Last edited:
Thanks

Hunter what length is your WW? 68-72 seems to be listed lengths to choose from. In comparison to another RV designed prop, 68 x ? Is recommended for O320/160hp. What angle/pitch did you end at?

W-W GA200L

I recently swapped out my faithful Catto for a 72" W-W GA200L on my 170 HP IO-320. The GA200L is an excellent choice because the prop comes with a spinner and bulkhead already fitted to the prop. I have improved both my climb and top speed with the GA200L, and the great thing about it is that it is infinitely adjustable to tweak the performance curve. It also has a unique sound to it at 2600-2700 RPM :)

Butch,
I have an RV4 with a Sensenich ground adjustable carbon fiber prop. When I bought this airplane, it had a 71” Sensenich metal prop with an 85” pitch. With that original prop, my static RPM was about 2100, and wide open throttle in level flight was 2900+ RPM at practically any altitude. My new carbon Sensenich is also 71” and 20 lbs lighter than the metal one. I have the pitch setting set to not exceed the Lycoming recommended limit of 2700 at wide open throttle in level fight. This setting gives me a static RPM of 2350 at the very beginning of the takeoff. Interestingly, buy the time I’m airborne at about 70 knots or so, my wide open throttle RPM has rolled back to 2250. Also, my takeoff ground roll is shorter with this new prop - about 350 - 450 feet. Enroute climb, I’m seeing 1300-1500 fpm at a cruise climb of 125-135 KIAS. These numbers are all at solo flight weights, and my RV4 has an O-360/180 hp engine. With the metal prop I couldn’t get more than 65% power unless I was over about 8000’ without overspeeding the engine. Now I can use pretty much whatever power setting I want without overspeeding the engine.
Plus...... it’s a beautiful prop!

A5265424-3DEE-4010-BC4F-D0BFB556DBC5.jpg

Upside down again. Sure wish I knew how to fix that!

Last edited:
Thanks

WA85..... thanks for the insight. I like the infinite adjustment aspect and it is a kit that fits perfectly !

Scott: considering my lesser hp, I love all that yours does for you. I’m hoping for similar, just a few knots/fpm less. I saved you pic and edited so to enjoy. Wow....nice 4 ! I’d never pick the color from a swatch, but drop dead gorgeous on the plane !!! KUDOS

Again, thanks for your input.

I didn’t pick the color either, I bought it - but it’s growin’ on me. Not much choice. It flys like a dream and is very economical. I plan to keep it that way.

Back