What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Relocated to San Antonio

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Moved into our new home in San Antonio last week. Now its time to find a local home for the RV10. Boerne Stage is only 7 miles from the house and is my first choice however there is a waiting list for hangar space. Any thoughts from the local RV group on hangar options.

Pat Stewart

Boerne Stage

I have a RV10 hangared at Boerne Stage we should meet up sometime.

You can try San Geronimo I looked there a while back and found a few options at that time. No lights or approaches. There are some new ones at Stinson I believe but they are a little pricey.

Take a good look before you leap!

I would not recommend boerne stage airport.
I hangared there for eleven years and am glad to be gone.
Safety is very lax and airport management leaves a lot to be desired.
Of course, this is my opinion.
Bulverde and San Geronimo are the next closest airports to boerne stage so you might check them out.

Airport

Thanks Buck, I remember this event and also one of the RV guys at the airport also shared it with me. It looks like this was about 5 years ago, have they cleaned up their act or is there still a problem. Not that I dont appreciate your feedback, I do however you will find similar type safety issues at most small airports, few that ended as bad as this one. It's up to the local airport community to police and set the example. The RV people I spoke with on the field all said good things about the airport. Since this is a very nice airport and is around the corner from my house I would be interested in hearing how their safety record has been recently before looking further out.

Thanks,

Pat

glad you made it.

pat - didn't see you at the elm creek flyin a few weeks back, maybe you came after we left in our RV9. anyhow, i have a rented hangar at zuehl for a few more days then will relocate plane and self to elm creek. once you are settled give a yell and plan to drop in there and we'll have a sweet tea and get acquainted. don o.

Flyin

Don,

I got there around noon but did not see your plane. Nice flyin and a nice field. I wish it was a little closer.

Pat

I agree with Steve.

Pat,

I was fortunate enough to meet Steve when he was still at Boerne Stage before the loss of his RV-8.

Several years after Steve left I flew into Boerne Stage.... even tried to get a BFR there. The CFI was pathetic (that's a whole 'nother story) and no I won't fly at that airport again. Kestrel is down 46 near the intersection of 281. Paul Dye has (or had) a lot there. It ok, but the runway has an odd hump in it. As others have mentioned, San Geronimo or Bulverde.

Back