What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal help/advice

AJ85WA

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

Im in the process of rigging up the rudder cable to the pedal via the link.

When it is all attached and in position the hole in the side of the bulkhead with the snap bushing is not lined up with the pedal mounting location causing the cable to rub on the inside of the snap bushing. the entire pedal really needs to be like 1/2 inch closer to the side of fuselage.(But if i did cut it to do so the other end would probably fall out of the plastic housing.

I have triple checked all my measurements of the pedal assembly to the drawings and they are all good, also the hole in the plastic housings are to the correct depth?

Is there anything im missing here?

Thanks AJ

I don't think it's a problem

I just finished the same step. The cable runs to the aft fuselage are not a straight shot, so I believe it's inevitable that the cables will touch the inside of the snap bushings as they move through their travel.

What Ken said is correct, the lines are not a straight shot. I split some 1/4" nylon tubing and put that over the cables to minimize the rubbing. But I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

Greg

not much cutting action...

The rudder cables are only tight when your feet are on the pedals and the only time there is any cable movement against the snap bushing is during ground movement and landing... in the air there is not really any vibration induced cutting since the cables are not tight so wear of the bushings turns out not to be an issue.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the replies everyone,

It just seemed strange to me as the crimped end of the clevis Sometimes hits the snap bushing and stops before full travel is achieved. But even the drawings show the rudder cable more inwards.

It's half a inch more inwards than the hole in the bulkhead, does that seem ok?

Might be a bit counterintuitive, but the rubbing of the clevis on the bushing is a bit smoother if you put the bushing in from the aft side of the bulkhead, at least in my experience. There are many threads on this in the archive though if you want more reading and/or ideas.

Clevis hitting the bushing

This also happened on my 7 and I did not like it so I split some neoprene tubing and put it over the clevis and the rudder cable and made it long enough such that it was always in the snap bushing. I tie wrapped each end to keep it in place. 183 hours and no problems, I do check it at each condition inspection for wear etc.

I just hooked up my rudder cables this week and noticed the same thing - and I believe I will put some neoprene tubing or equivalent over the cable in the snap bushing locations.

I purchased some 5/8" hard poly tubing (milky white appearance) at the local home depot and inserted it into the holes instead of using bushings- from the seat back bulkhead to the forward spar bulkhead. A single piece appx. 3 feet long on each side. The cable now has the entire surface of the tubing to rub instead of just the points with the snap bushings. The tubing diameter is such that it just fits the holes for the snap bushings and is firmly in place- it never moves. It seems to me a better setup than the bushings and you don't have the exposed cable at your elbow when flying.

Back