What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Hinge seals

bomber_JB

I'm flying off my 40 hours. There is a lot of air infiltration around the RV-10 door hinges. I used the McMaster-Carr door seals. I predrilled and tapped my hinges (8/32 screws) to accommodate what I thought would be some plates that I could make and fill the gaps and butt up against the door seal. The aft openings are flat and fabricating something is easy. The front openings have very compound openings and flap plates won't work. I just heard from another RV-10 builder that someone is making/selling covers for these openings.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so how do I locate them?

I'm flying off my 40 hours. There is a lot of air infiltration around the RV-10 door hinges. I used the McMaster-Carr door seals. I predrilled and tapped my hinges (8/32 screws) to accommodate what I thought would be some plates that I could make and fill the gaps and butt up against the door seal. The aft openings are flat and fabricating something is easy. The front openings have very compound openings and flap plates won't work. I just heard from another RV-10 builder that someone is making/selling covers for these openings.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so how do I locate them?

Not sure whether you refer to my joint project with Jim Phillips. See https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8...renderMode=0&uiState=62672bce515a615dc7267bbf for the design. Nothing special at this point, just a cover plate.

I have ordered a dozen sets of those, made of 60/1000th 316 stainless steel. Not all are spoken for, cost is $1.85 per piece plus shipping.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 4.18.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 4.18.52 PM.png
    509.8 KB · Views: 119
I apologize for the thread drift but, I’d like to buy a set of those stainless covers also. PM on the way.

I made a dozen extra sets of those and they are all spoken for by now.
I suggest, we wait for feedback on how well they fit, and then make another batch soon. For $1.85 each, lots of people took a risk, but it's really too early to just make more as is. I also want to evaluate getting them polished.
/Martin

This can be done another way

Male layup over the door pockets... requires a good deal of finishing but it seals well. (RH image is first in sequence).

Attachments

• IMG_4822.jpg
    IMG_4822.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_5195.jpg
    IMG_5195.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 236
Here is what I did. These dense foam fillers in the hinge pockets are cut from the hangar door install. You can also use the foam the wheel assemblies come in - or whatever. A little black RTV holds it in.

The seal itself is from McMaster. I think this was 3/8" tall. It has an adhesive back on it. Ten years and all is well.

I suggest this is a lot easier than many options out there.

Carl

Attachments

• door seal.jpg
    door seal.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 215
but...

From a famous speech, long ago...

"... and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..."

Just sayin'...

I made a 063 plate to hold nutplates. Waxed up the nutplates and then glued it all in the pocket with the lightest micro mix I could make.
Added benefit is it makes the door super easy to remove. Just undo the 8 screws from the top and the hinge tabs slide out of their little slot.

F6E01045-92A6-4D1B-BF3A-638160872C95.jpg

Male layup over the door pockets... requires a good deal of finishing but it seals well. (RH image is first in sequence).

I cut two pieces of F/G material from the excess cut off the door panels to size and fitted them in place with epoxy flox and faired with bondo. Only took a couple of hours and looks like factory door with no depression or visible hinge. You can get under them with a wrench for installation of hinges.

Last edited:
I cut two pieces of F/G material from the excess cut off the door panels to size and fitted them in place with epoxy flox and faired with bondo. Only took a couple of hours and looks like factory door with no depression or visible hinge. You can get under them with a wrench for installation of hinges.

Did this as well but added nutplates to the hinges. No need to wrench just screws the doors on. YMMV

Keith

Did this as well but added nutplates to the hinges. No need to wrench just screws the doors on. YMMV

Keith

Either of you have pics you can post?

Got it. If you can please keep me in mind, I would need 2 sets, I have a friend with a 10 in my airport that is also looking for a solution for the door hinges.

I'm also interested but agree to wait to see how the first round turns out. Maybe also consider to chamfer the outer edge. :)

I'm also interested but agree to wait to see how the first round turns out. Maybe also consider to chamfer the outer edge. :)
We have a new test set in the queue that is 30/1000 instead of 60/1000 (4 sets total).
/Martin

Back