What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best GA airport near NYC?

trib

Well Known Member
My daughter graduated college this year and is an entry level buyer for
Bloomingdales (no more tuition for dad). Does anyone have advice on how to visit using the RV? I don't want to rent a car and have to pay NYC prices for parking, etc.. I'm looking for advice on friendly airports for RV size planes where it won't cost more to fly into than the fuel costs for the trip. Looking for low fees for parking for a couple of days and accessibility for transportation to NYC. Some quick searching brought up Morristown Airport (mmu). Does anyone have any experience with flying to NYC (from the south preferably) that they would like to share?

When my daughter was going to med school in NYC I used KLDJ (Linden NJ) all the time. Rail transport into the city is walking distance.

Several years ago we flew our Bonanza into TEB. Walked from the FBO to the corner and caught a bus into New York. Less than an hour after landing we were standing on the street in front of the Port Authority building. Reversed for the trip back. I think Meridian Aviation will give you a ride to the bus stop--about a half mile. If we were to go to New York today, we would do the same thing.
Flew into Linden several times to see a customer. I did not know about the rail service. That is a good option.

Maybe no more tuition but with a entry level job I bet she will need help with the rent.

NYC

Teterboro and Linden are both good choices. However coming from the south Linden will be somewhat easier. Don't be intimidated by the low altitudes required to go under the Bravo. Just get a paper terminal chart and study it well in advance. If things are quiet at Newark it may be easy to get a Bravo clearance, but more likely they will want your down low, especially if Newark is landing on 4's. Teterboro may require an approach from almost directly to the west, or from the east via the Hudson corridor. lots of corporate jet traffic at Teterboro.
Fuel prices at Teterboro are among the highest in the country.

Haven't been in to Linden, but very familiar with Teterboro. It is a very busy business jet airport, and can be crowded and expensive. That said, it is very easy to get economical ground transportation in to the city if you want to stay at a hotel in Manhattan. You are wise to avoid driving a car in the city. Another option is to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, NJ. The FBO at TEB will give you a ride to the hotel. The ferry docks right in front of the hotel with great service to the city, which includes buses on the Manhattan side included in the price of the ferry ticket, to take you to most locations in the city and bring you back to the Ferry at days end. Nice hotel, nice restaurant at the hotel, as well as others within walking distance (a block or two), great views of the city, and a bit more relaxed than staying in the city.
The last time we went in the RV-10, we landed up on Long Island at Farmingdale. The train station is very close to the airport and the FBO took us to the train station and we had a nice ride in to Penn Station where we were about two blocks from the hotel. The FBO also had hangar space for our airplane, which was nice. Hangar space might be difficult to find at TEB. As others have said, don't be intimidated by the airspace. Study your charts ahead of time, get flight following or go IFR, and it is very easy. Lots of good choices and lots of fun. Hope you enjoy your visits to NYC and congratulations to the college grad!

Linden

I flew over to Linden based on a suggestion from VAF
Flew in down the Hudson, they cleared me through class b just above the VFR coridor, and helped me navigate the airspace all the way to Linden. Was a great flight. Took a cab to the light rail and was downtown about 1 hr after landing. Spent the day in the city and flew back out that evening. Ramp fee was $15 with no gas purchase. Was not real busy.

NYC

I go into Teterboro almost weekly. There are a few small aircraft based there. Like the others have said it can be very busy with biz jet traffic operating under Newark's traffic. Busiest times seem to be weekday mornings and afternoons and Sunday evenings. If surface winds are strong from the N-NW terrain upwind of the airport can generate turbulence. I went in last week with winds 25G35 and the ride was terrible in a Gulfstream. It certainly could be done if you are on your game but the hassle and cost factor would lead me to one of the small airports to the south. Linden option sounds good.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress

Linden is a good choice. Fuel is a little more than some but you aren't based there so once in a while is not bad to pay. The airspace is tight and low but not really difficult once you look at the TAC and plan your approach and go-around if needed. I don't know what the fees are but you can call. The runway is plenty big. They get a lot of helicopter traffic for fuel from the NY Harbor. I think if the airport owners had their way, they would kick everyone else out. It's a pretty no-frills place but plenty of stores on the adjacent highway, and a train or cab to anywhere you might want to go. It's also a great jumping off point for a NYC tour in the air in your plane. Really a must-do. Straight out of Linden to the Raritan Bay, turn left along the south shore of Staten Island and follow the shoreline to the Verrezzano Bridge to enter "the river." I always tell people to call Newark Tower on the way in from the south and ask for the East River, Central Park, and Hudson River south. The East River is much more interesting to fly and you get to cross Manhattan over Central Park. They will likely usher you through at 1500', which is a great site seeing altitude. You can then exit the corridor at the Verrazzano again, check-out with Newark, and turn around and fly the entire Hudson River corridor in the transient airspace (1000' - <1300') or drop down for local ops under 1000'.

Morriston has a train in town but it is out in the burbs so not as easy to get to and not as direct as a run in from Linden. Teteboro is probably about as expensive as you can get in NJ without flying into Newark itself (if you could). Caldwell is sort of between Teteboro and Morristown but not on a train line or even an easily accessed bus line. Cheaper than Morristown and Teteboro though I would think.

Linden is really the best choice once you warm up to getting in and out of the airport.

Good luck.

Teteboro is very expensive on landing fees and busy with jet traffic. Stick to Linden. Short cab ride to the train station then only a 45 min scenic train ride to Penn Station in the heart of Manhatten. Just remember the gate code at Linden if you come back late since the FBO will probably be closed. Small airport with easy in & out, just stay low. You may have a 737 on short final to Newark on top of you while you are on base.

I grew up in and around NYC (The Bronx & White Plains) and I just returned from my High School reunion. I flew my RV-7A from Houston Texas to NYC and did the Hudson River exclusion twice on this trip and used Westchester County airport (HPN) in White Plains to park the RV @ Million Air. They took great care of me and the RV, and although the daily parking fee was pricey, I was able to rent a car from Hertz (through Million Air) that was very reasonable.

Also, there's a Residence Inn hotel at 5 Barker ave. in White Plains that is walking distance (really) to the White Plains Metro North commuter train that will take you into Grand Central Station 7 days a week for a reasonable price. The train ride is about 45 minutes...

If you don't want to rent a car at HPN, I think that Million Air might give you a complementary ride to the Hotels in White Plains, or you could take a cab ride.

I highly recommend HPN, let me know if you have any questions...

Victor

I fly into HPN on a regular basis in an RV. I've used Landmark West (formerly Panorama) and Million Air. Just call each of them to compare costs. $20 or $25 a night for parking seems to be the going rate.

NYC

The OP is coming from the south(VA) and wishes to use public transportation. The options are Linden and Teterboro, with Linden being the best choice.
White Plains is not a logical choice given the OP's parameters.

Another thought if you don't mind being a little further outside the city is to fly into KBDR (Bridgeport, CT). It is about 10 minutes from the train station. About an hour rise into the city from there. $20/night. $40 ramp fee which is waived if you buy 15 gallons in gas. I flew into vista family a couple of yrs ago--no issues.

Very light traffic in and out buy air, but you would have to go by NYC to get there.

Back