What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Ventilation

Gman

I'm New Here
Hi All,

I just got these ventilation fans for our RV10 project for cooling / ventilation while on the ground / taxing. Since they are 2" in diameter they are easy to mount directly in 2" SCAT tube.

These fans pump a huge amount of air at full power so they will be great for the overhead console once its installed. I was blown away !! They have a panel mount control unit which varies the amount of air flow.

I have been toying with the idea of buying another set to install in the cabin heat SCAT tube to get extra heat in the cockpit while on the ground.

This may not be necessary but since our RV-10 is not flying yet I don't know if there is enough cabin heat while on the Ground - if someone could let me know how much air flow is available through the heat ducts while the engine is running on the ground that would be great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88717541@N03/8093339870/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88717541@N03/8093341328/

Regards

Graeme Beggs

Last edited:
Interesting. Where can you buy them and how much does each one weigh?

Last edited:
Neat

Those look like neat products that might have a good application somewhere. As for heat on the ground, there isn't much airflow through the heater boxes so there isn't a lot of heat. However, I've flown my -10 in some pretty cold weather (0 deg F) and haven't noticed any problems with staying warm. Ground time is pretty limited and the engine heats up quickly, plus there seems to be enough radiant heat through the firewall and a little movement through the scat tubes to keep things comfy. As for the OH Console, the rear NACA vents produce TONS of air, if you have them charging your OH console, even produce a little air on the ground. I guess if you wanted to use the fans to charge the OH console without the rear NACA vents, you could use them to circulate inside air when it's cold out, but then you would want the cold outside air when it's hot out. Bottom line, my experience has been that the climate control is excellent with the OH console (Aerosport Products), rear NACA vents and factory heat system. I do live in a northern climate so have no need for A/C.

To me these look like a great idea to put inline with the naca vents supplying the overhead console. That way when sitting on the ground you would get some fresh air from the outside even if you are not moving. I have looked but not yet found a source, where did these come from?

I preheat engine and cabin on most cold flights. I have cloth seats. I turn on all avionics 3-5 min before startup which helps with defrost fans on windshield. There is not sufficient heat for about 3 min of taxi. After runup, takeoff and 3 min in flight you will be turning the front heat way down. Then 5 min later the rear heat. I like the large eyeball vents and doors cracked a few inches in summer. No overhead vents needed in my plane. Anything in your heat ducts should be able to withstand 180+F temps...they get really hot. Built per plans, it is fantastic.

Defrost!

I was looking for a fan like this when I built my -8 to install defrost.

I don't need defrost very often, living in california, but once in a while it would be really handy.
So it would be cool to post the source for these fans.

As a poor-man's defrost, I drilled 4 or 5 1/2" holes in the glare shield just aft of the canopy. These allow natural convection of avionics heat to warm the canopy, and when it is hot, they allow for some natural avionics bay cooling.

Ventilation Fans

The air volume coming out of the end of SCAT tube is great and the control unit which can be panel or console mounted allows you to control the volume of air output. The fans only weigh 58 grams each.

I got them from RV Solutions Australia their contact is:-

[email protected]

Regards

Graeme Beggs

Back