What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pulling Push To Talk Wires in Control Sticks

FredC

Step 3 on page 31-11 can be accomplished by using a 3 foot pull chain and two short pieces of masking tape. ACE Hardware has E06 aluminum chain ball (#3 5107701) on a roll for 69 cents per foot. Buy 3 feet but do not buy the E08 chain; it is too large in diameter.

Using gravity thread the chain from top to bottom. Then take a 1/4 inch by 4 inch piece of masking tape to attach the chain to the pin end of Push To Talk wire. Use another 1/4 inch piece of masking tape to attach the short Push To Talk wire to the long one.

Carefully pull and jiggle the chain until the Push To Talk wires are in place. If the chain gets caught jiggle and pull from both ends until it is free, then continue pulling. Do not yank or pull excessively hard as the chain or masking tape will break.

Suck a length of string through the stick with a vacuum cleaner. Then use the string to pull the wires. Very quick.

Mono filament fishing line with a small cotton ball tied to the end. Experiment with different size cotton balls (as I remember, it was tiny). Suck it thru with a ShopVac. Pull a stouter piece of string, then pull the wires.

I used safety wire with a small dia. loop on the end threaded through, then pulled the wires through.

Vacuum Cleaner

After struggling with wire and even getting my son to help, I tried the string/vacuum cleaner method and was done in minutes. They should recommend this in the plans. :rolleyes:

Back