What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg fairing question

vgb

Well Known Member
Just curious but how did you fellows attach the gear leg fairing to the bottom of the fuselage.What type of screws and what did you screw them into.
Looking for ideas.

Thanks Vern

I used rivnuts because I didn't want to go to the hassle of nut plates and didn't want to drag someone out to buck. I also didn't want to remove the seat pans again. By the time i got to this, i wanted to push the easy button. Rivnuts are the bomb. Just a few minutes and you are done.
Steve

Rv9A 524SJ
Flying

Last edited:
Its 7A fairings.And did you use number 8 screws in the rivnuts.

Last edited:
I think I used #8 flatheads also. You really can't go wrong with either. It only affects how deep you countersink your fairings.

Steve

I used 3 #8 flat head screws and platenuts on each side. Might be opening a can 'o worms here, but I would stay away from rivnuts. I've seen my neighbor with a -4 cussing too many times when one gets worn and starts spinning in the skin. Never had an issue with a platenut and you don't need to get any more tools to install one.

I just did this last week

I used three #8 screws and nutplates the rearmost one was installed outside of the fuselage with pop rivets into a hole that was previously occupied by a rivet. I got the idea from someone else on the forum and it worked great. The two forward platenuts are riveted into the cowl. Search on fairings perhaps and hopefully you will find the original poster who had nice pics of his installation.

I used 3 #8 flat head screws and platenuts on each side. Might be opening a can 'o worms here, but I would stay away from rivnuts. I've seen my neighbor with a -4 cussing too many times when one gets worn and starts spinning in the skin. Never had an issue with a platenut and you don't need to get any more tools to install one.

Amen. In the satellite business, we use special rivnuts that have a ridge which keeps them from spinning. I'm sure these types of rivnuts and the special notching tools we use are a pretty penny though.

I'm not flying yet but I simply used a sheet metal screw in a hole. When they get too big, I'll use a bigger hole and screw. When that gets too big, I'll go nutplate.

Back