What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I get my G tolerance back?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So I just bought an RV-8 (had an RV-4 years ago) and got my tailwheel skills back within the ball park, but I've got no G tolerance to speak of... and I used to be good for 3.5 - 4 Gs with little to no effort.

Then I started thinking about it:
* Just turned 64
* Back surgery a year ago
* Abdominal surgery a year before that
I think that the two surgeries clobbered my core / upper body strength. Going back to gym and working with heavy weights is not likely to be permissable, so the most likely alternatives seem to be 2G turns, then 2.5G, etc.

Anybody got any better ideas? Not ready to go to the long wing RVs quite yet...

thanks!

Ed Wischmeyer

Doctor First, then exercise

Ed,

(my qualifications to answer your question: I spent over 20 years flying high-g fighters, 3 years at the training unit where we battled with student g issues constantly)

Certainly consult with your doctor first. Then figure out a plan. Here is an older reference but a good one, take a look at attachment 2.
From what you have stated, you would benefit greatly from an exercise program. It doesn't need to be heavy weights, but you need to increase your anaerobic stamina. The program in attachment 2 worked wonders for the kids we put through it. The AGSM is a good tool to use but cannot be substituted for good physical condition, rather it is used in conjunction with a program. the short of it is you don't need to build your muscle into an 'Arnold' like physique, but rather increase muscles a bit and increase the stamina of those muscles. Long slow reps rather than numerous fast reps...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138316554/G-Awareness-for-Aircrew-January-2010-pdf

Last edited:
Ed, "tolerance" means different things to different people. What specifically does this mean for you - physical discomfort/sickness issues, or vision (grayout) issues?

So I just bought an RV-8 (had an RV-4 years ago) and got my tailwheel skills back within the ball park, but I've got no G tolerance to speak of... and I used to be good for 3.5 - 4 Gs with little to no effort.

Then I started thinking about it:
* Just turned 64
* Back surgery a year ago
* Abdominal surgery a year before that
I think that the two surgeries clobbered my core / upper body strength. Going back to gym and working with heavy weights is not likely to be permissable, so the most likely alternatives seem to be 2G turns, then 2.5G, etc.

Anybody got any better ideas? Not ready to go to the long wing RVs quite yet...

thanks!

Ed Wischmeyer

Several years ago, my airplane was down for engine top overhaul. Did not fly for 3-months. During a break-in flight, I got bored so did some 4-G climbing turns. (60 degree bank with stick pulled back to climb) I experienced a narrowing of vision. (started to gray out) Slight reduction in back pressure and peripheral vision returned. IMHO, I lost my G tolerance from lack of flying. I did more 60 degree bank turns with some climb. I eventually built back up to 4-G with some practice. Yes I have a G meter but my Pioneer in the dash CD/ CD-MP3 disc player cuts out at 4-G and above. Slight reduction in back pressure to under 4-G and it starts playing again.

As others have said, check with your doctor. At the time I was doing the above, I was over 50 but under 55.

I have heard 2 or 3 professional aerobatic pilots (Patty Wagstaff being one of them) speak about the same issue occurring if they take a break from flying acro while traveling on vacations, etc.

They all said they have to work back into it progressively to rebuild their tolerance.

I have experienced the same.
I do a a mix of low G's (1 - 2.5) and unusual attitudes (1 G rolls, etc.) until I start to feel just a bit queasy, and then quit.
After doing this on 5 - 6 flights, I notice a big change in how long I can go, and begin stretching things a bit further.

+1 what Stump said, but also add aerobic conditioning. Without knowing the specifics of your situation, but doing some educated guessing, with 2 major surgeries in 2 years, most people will have lost both muscle strength and cardiovascular conditioning. Cycling(without a motor) would be a great choice for most back patients. You can develop great core strength without using any weights. Isometric and low range of motion exercises can do the job. Olds fashioned situps and leg raises are not only risky for back patients, they are less effective. I would recommend a registered physical therapist( not a personal trainer or chiropractor) to teach you proper technique. No flames please; some of my best friends are trainers or chiropractors, but IMHO they are not the best choice in this situation.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Back