What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HX not seeing VP-X

Don

Well Known Member
I've powered up my HX and VP-X - so far no smoke. The VP-X is controlling the switches just fine after I uploaded my config file. When I configured the HX for the VPX (the directions are from VP) I set serial port 8 (in and out) for the VP-X Pro and set the baud rate to 57600. Then I'm asked if it has the latest software version. Apparently it has no software and the hardware and software versions and blank and grayed out.

No problem me thinks. I'll go to GRT and get the latest software. So I downloaded HHUp.dat and get V.5d (not the bluetooth version) for the HX and the VP-X software version 2.2 (VPXUp22.dat). The Horizon software up dated just fine but the VPX didn't. I still have no software option and the HX doesn't see the VP-X.

My guess is I'm doing something really stupid but I'm simply not seeing it. Could someone tell me how to get the VPX software on the HX? Thanks.

I had this same issue on my setup.

Don,

I found that Vertical updated the installation guide after i had printed it, and i ran across the following on page 31 of the newer install guide...

http://verticalpower.com/docs/Install_Ops_Manual_VP-X_P_S.pdf

Use a serial port pair on the EFIS. Make sure the EFIS and the VP-X are
wired to the same ground. Do not use the serial ground on the VP-X.

Hope this helps.

Aaron.

Aaron,

I have serial port 8 connected to the VPX. The statement about the ground is a bit confusing. All of my grounds go to one block...the VPX uses 2 grounds for redundancy. However I don't see any grounds for the HX (note I am using th Approach Fast Stack hub) so that may be why I don't see it.

Even w/o the VPX connected, I thought I'd be able to see the software in the HX.

At some point I am sure this will all make sense...but it the meantime, it sure is perplexing, to say the least!

Look and see if you have J1 pin 21 connected.

Don,

If i remember correct, you need to not have J1-21 going to ground. try unhooking that ground (J1-21), see if it talks to the GRT then.

Aaron,

Correction. The HX is grounded to my main ground buss and pin 21 from the VP-X is grounded to the same buss.

I still don't see any firmware or software for the VP-X when I go into the Display Unit maintenance screen.

I used a multimeter to check that pins 20 and 22 where they attach to the VP-X have continuity with pins 6 and 7 leaving the HX. They do and the ground pin 21 does actually connect with ground. So it looks like the connections are sound and correct.

Last edited:
For GRT EFIS, Do not use the serial ground on the VP-X.

Don,

Try unhooking (Not grounding J1-21), (put some black tape on it, or pull the pin from the connector) don't have it connected to ground.

As it says in the manual on page 31..

5.12 GRT EFIS Wiring

On the HORIZON, trim and flap position are shared on the display
interlink between display, but the status of each electrical device is not.
The VP-X electrical page only appears on the display that is wired to the
VP-X. On the SPORT, no data is shared between the displays, so wire
the VP-X serial line to the display on which you want to see trim and flap
position and VP-X electrical page.

Use a serial port pair on the EFIS. Make sure the EFIS and the VP-X are
wired to the same ground. Do not use the serial ground on the VP-X.

Don,

If i remember correct, you need to not have J1-21 going to ground. try unhooking that ground (J1-21), see if it talks to the GRT then.

That's how I started out - with pin 21 not used. It doesn't seem to make any difference where pin 21 is connected to the ground or not. This is the same ground that the EFIS is wired to and the VP-X.

Hmm, not sure..

Don,

My wiring is as follows.. This is on the HXr unit.

VP-X......................................GRT EFIS
---------------=============------------------
J1-22 Serial RX <--------------->Serial #6 Out (HXr)
J1-20 Serial TX <--------------->Serial #6 In (HXr)

The only thing i can think of is that make sure you have RX going to OUT and TX going to IN, and check your baud rates on the GRT EFIS.

Good luck, i can relate to your frustrations.:confused:

Aaron

Don,

My wiring is as follows.. This is on the HXr unit.

VP-X......................................GRT EFIS
---------------=============------------------
J1-22 Serial RX <--------------->Serial #6 Out (HXr)
J1-20 Serial TX <--------------->Serial #6 In (HXr)

The only thing i can think of is that make sure you have RX going to OUT and TX going to IN, and check your baud rates on the GRT EFIS.

Good luck, i can relate to your frustrations.:confused:

Aaron

I checked to verify the wiring was correct, and double checked the pins on Serial #8 I/O on the HX. I reversed them to see if maybe they were crossed somehow and double checked that there was continuity from pin to pin.

I'm curious - if you go into set up on the HX and got to Display Unit Maintenance, scroll down to the VP-X and select it, do you see Firmware and Software updates listed? If so, did you upload the software or did it just show up?

Don,

I'm not able to check that on my unit, as I'm at work, and my RV-8 is at the airport 75 miles away and at the moment, it's bitter below zero cold here :( I'm ready for some warmer weather anytime now!

I can't remember exactly how the GRT VPX interface appears, might want to get a hold of GRT or VP-X tech support. (Probably on Thursday). Maybe someone else on the VAF will be able to tell you something. Keep trying, it will work, it works well on my setup so far.

I spent hours on the wiring and config, and it was frustrating at times.

Can you try a different Serial port on your HX unit?

don't give up.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up. I'm just wondering when I'll slap my forehead and think, "Boy was that simple." <g>

Let me ask this question another way.

Does anyone know how to upload the VPXUp.dat file to the GRT HX. I uploaded the software update for the GRT HX without a hitch but I have not figured out how to upload the data file.

Thanks!

I had This Problem

Don,
I was not clear about the software required for VPX communication when I hooked up my VP-X to GRT HX. Below is the response I got from my e-mail request to GRT. Basicly you do not upload the VPXUp.dat file. You update the VPX software via ethernet cable from a computer to VP-X and update the GRT HHUp.dat fileas you did.

GRT Response:
The software and update processes are separate. The HX has software to display VP-X data. The display software is built into the complete HX software and does not update separately. The VP-X has software inside its main box that handles all of its operations and communication with the HX. The VP-X software on our web site is for the original VP-X model, not the Pro or Sport.

The VP-X Pro is designed to be configured and updated by connecting it to a PC and using software provided by Vertical Power. If you can see the VP-X version number and switch states, then at least the EFIS is receiving data from the VP-X. A "NO EXTERNAL DATA" alarm means the VP-X is probably not receiving data from the EFIS. Push the ENG button a few times to see the VP-X page. If the VP-X is configured, but not all of the connections and labels are showing up there, check the serial port wiring and configuration for the output from the HX to the VP-X.

Also, if you have dual displays do not connect both serial ports. Below is the response to that issue. I daisy chained the serial port from the VPX to each efis and had communication errors.

GRT Response:
The VPX requires bidirectional communication to display everything on the EFIS properly, so the best way to get everything is to wire it to one display. The information will transfer over the Ethernet link to the other display (enable Send Vertical Power Data in SET MENU, Inter-Display Link Settings, on the display with the wires). Make sure you physically disconnect the wire from EFIS 2 Out. Turning the serial port output off will not be enough to prevent interference between the outputs.

Best of luck. Most of us had to work through these issues.

Eulice Curington
RV-10

GRT Response:
The VPX requires bidirectional communication to display everything on the EFIS properly, so the best way to get everything is to wire it to one display. The information will transfer over the Ethernet link to the other display (enable Send Vertical Power Data in SET MENU, Inter-Display Link Settings, on the display with the wires). Make sure you physically disconnect the wire from EFIS 2 Out. Turning the serial port output off will not be enough to prevent interference between the outputs.

Best of luck. Most of us had to work through these issues.

Eulice Curington
RV-10

I have the VPX connected to only the HX via Serial 8. So far so good. The information won't transfer via Ethernet link to my other display because it is an HS and doesn't have an Ethernet port. I'm not sure what wire is EFIS 2 out but i'm guessing it's the out side of the serial port that connects the HX and the HS. I'd need to ponder what other data I might lose on the HS if I disconnect this wire?but that might be my problem. I'll check it out tonight.

At this point GRT is suggesting the problem is with the VP-X and Astronics still has "limited support" due to their move. My timing on starting to wire my glass panel apparently wasn't exactly opportune.

I appreciate the help and I'll let you know if it works.

Don,

He originally wired the VPX to BOTH efis units, and GRT said not to do that, to remove the connection between the VPX and the second efis. That was the reference to efis-2. You only wired to the HX, so that is not your problem.

I think you are talking about the interdisplay link. Leave that connected.

Eventually you may or may not be able to control the vpx with the HS via the interdisplay link; depends on whether or not the software is there to do it. I don't know.

Bob

Thanks Bob. That clarifies the issue.

I also received a call from Marc Ausman this morning, which was a pleasant surprise. He explained a few more things that were not clear to me. Apparently the software that shows up on the HX is on the VP-X Pro and shows up via the serial link. My serial link is not working which is why I'm not seeing any software. The counter is showing no data passing between the two units.

Marc seemed to be leaning toward the fact that I've mis-wired this connection. When he called I was certain his guess was reasonable but nonetheless wrong. The diagram I used to figure out the pin numbering layout was a male 25 pin d-sub shown in one of the GRT manuals. Looking at the side the wires go into, and orienting the connector with the wide side at the top, the #1 pin is at the top right and 13 is top left, 14 bottom right and 25 is bottom left. I just looked at a pinout diagram of a 25 pin d-sub and darned if I'm not 100% right and wrong at the same time. What I described is perfect for the male connector. The female connector mates to this so the socket side would be identical - and the wire side would have pin 1 at the top left, 13 at the top right, 14 bottom left, and 25 bottom right.

It never occurred to me that the numbering scheme would be different for the male and female sockets. In short they're mirror images of each other so the pin numbers stay the same on both sides of the connector. Here's an image that explains it.
url
I'm at work now but this evening when I go home and move 3 wires on my J1 plug, I'm willing to bet the units are going to talk to each other (pins 20 and 22) and my AHRS is going to see 12 volts (pin 2).

I think it's getting very close to time to exclaim "duh" followed by a head slap. Someone on this board signs off with 'smart people do dumb things all the time' and I think I've qualified for this. I sure hope I've found the problem.

And lest I fail to mention it, Marc was kind and patient all the way - he must get tired of dealing with stupid stuff like this - his kindness means a lot - he could have made me feel pretty stupid…which is a about where I am on my own!

Last edited:
Problem solved

Once I rewired the female d-sub connector correctly (i.e., its the mirror image of the male connector) everything is working. So, it's head slap time, and blush at the dumb mistake. Now to push on and get the wiring done.

Back