What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP Purge Valve Photos

Phil

Well Known Member
Can some of you post some photos of your purge valve with the cable control attached?

I was looking at mine closely today and the valve is clocked in a way that I have to push for cut-off and pull for rich. Exactly the opposite of what we want. Looking at my setup closely, I can't see any way to re-route the cable and re-clock the arm in a way where you pull-to-lean.

If you can post a pic of your setup, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have to make some modification to make it work correctly.

Thanks,
Phil

Can some of you post some photos of your purge valve with the cable control attached?

I was looking at mine closely today and the valve is clocked in a way that I have to push for cut-off and pull for rich. Exactly the opposite of what we want. Looking at my setup closely, I can't see any way to re-route the cable and re-clock the arm in a way where you pull-to-lean.

If you can post a pic of your setup, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have to make some modification to make it work correctly.

Thanks,
Phil

I would give Don a call. Surely you aren't the first to run into this. I still have to do this too. I'm finishing the fwf right after I finish the cabin cover.

IMG_6232.jpg

Thanks,
Phil

I sent my unit back to Don for a reorientation of the valve lever. It came back the way I wanted it. Pull for OFF, Push for ON with a straight shot at it from the fire wall through the aft baffle.

Otherwise you have to run the cable around the front or side of the unit to get what you want. That is not necessary, the valve can be changed to get what you want.

Last edited:
I dont have a photo of it, but my installation is very similar to what Walt shows.

I think it is also a good idea to have a spring installed to keep the valve open, if the push/pull cable or its mounting components fail.

I suppose you could send the purge valve back to have the arm reoriented but most installations I have seen are like Walt's or mine.
Walt used what appears to be a mixture grade cable with a threaded end,
probably the best choice.

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

Do you have springs on your throttle and mixture ?? :confused:

Nope, but them I am using a higher quality cable for them. And they do get a lot more use than the purge valve, which I use only once a flight.

My purge valve is operated by a much simpler wire-in-a-cable setup, and a pinch connector at the arm.

As I recall, the good folks at AFP do recommend a spring.

Precision Fuel System W/Purge Valve

Anyone installed the airflow purge valve with the Precision EX fuel system? I just noticed the orientation of the fuel divider is significantly different between the Airflow and Precision setups. I was just going to order the purge valve bracket from airflow, but from the posted pics, it does not appear that will work. Looks like I will need to manufacture my own bracket for the purge valve.

Anyone got pics of a precision fuel system with airflow purge valve?

Eulice Curington
RV-10 Building

Back