VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2021, 07:45 PM
AeroDog AeroDog is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New London, NC (near Charlotte), Longmont, CO
Posts: 303
Default Faux carbon fiber used for instrument panel

Does anyone know which carbon-look vinyl the factory uses on the instrument panels of the -12is. Amazon shows quite a few choices, some of which appear too reflective.

Thanks,

Jerre
__________________
RV-12 120593 N42KJ reserved
Avionics done, engine in progress
http://webpages.uncc.edu/~hill
http://jerre-hill.blogspot.com
=VAF= dues paid 2021
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2021, 11:40 PM
pjoshyjosh pjoshyjosh is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Camas, Wa
Posts: 103
Default

check rvinyl.com or metrorestyling.com. many more options.
__________________
Joshua Muri
N8306R - PA28-140 Sold 11/2019
N72NJ - RV9A Purchased 10/2017
No N# - RV9/A Kit in progress
Empennage complete. Wing Kit on hand
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2021, 11:38 AM
12vaitor 12vaitor is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 199
Default

+1 on metrorestyling.com for sourcing. I used their 3M carbon fiber film on my RV-12 panel and have no issues with gloss. They do have SOTT matt finish CF film . I also used the 3M adhesion promoter to make sure I had no issues with lifting after installation.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2021, 12:24 PM
DHeal DHeal is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, California
Posts: 1,006
Default

+1 on 12vaitor's comments above. Be sure to include sufficient gaps between panel sections to accommodate thickness of the edge-wrapped film. Use adhesion promoter where screws overlie film.
__________________
David Heal - Windsor, CA (near Santa Rosa)
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,080+ hours (as of Oct 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2022.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2021, 04:18 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 4,774
Default 3M

Check out the available patterns online then order samples of the ones you like.
3M 2080
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM
gossend gossend is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 194
Exclamation 3M vs "not exactly 3M" vinyl

Dont try to save a few bucks on such a small job. Buy the 3M product and you'll only have to do it once. Mine's been on there for 6 years....the cheap stuff started lifting in 6 months.

Also, if the screw holes are countersunk, remove the vinyl from the holes with a countersink cutter before inserting the screws!
Works great.
__________________
Dick Gossen
gossend@gmail.com
Flying: EAB RV-12 with Aeromomentum AM15-HP engine
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2021, 09:37 AM
AeroDog AeroDog is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New London, NC (near Charlotte), Longmont, CO
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossend View Post
Dont try to save a few bucks on such a small job. Buy the 3M product and you'll only have to do it once. Mine's been on there for 6 years....the cheap stuff started lifting in 6 months.

Also, if the screw holes are countersunk, remove the vinyl from the holes with a countersink cutter before inserting the screws!
Works great.
Thanks for all the advice. I went with the 3M 2080.

Jerre
__________________
RV-12 120593 N42KJ reserved
Avionics done, engine in progress
http://webpages.uncc.edu/~hill
http://jerre-hill.blogspot.com
=VAF= dues paid 2021
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2021, 08:55 AM
Brett H Brett H is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Columbus, Indiana
Posts: 51
Default How does one apply the carbon fiber wrap film?

I am planning on covering the instrument panel of my RV-12 Classic with the 3M 2080 carbon fiber wrap film and I am seeking feedback from those who have already done this. Also, I am planning on using the non-countersunk fasteners like used in the iS version of the RV-12.

First, how did you cover the edges of the three instrument panel pieces? These panel pieces have outside edges that are essentially hidden when installed. Whereas the cutouts where the switch module and fuse module that attach to the backside of the instrument panel create exposed edges. Also, the map box door has an exposed edge.

Did you apply the 3M 2080 film dry or did you use the Installation Gel? If you used the Installation Gel, did you do all the final trimming of the film prior to applying it the panel pieces? If you applied it dry, how did you trim the edges and holes?

How did you get the pattern in the film to lineup across the sections of the instrument panel?

Anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2021, 10:32 AM
gossend gossend is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 194
Default Faux carbon panel

I strongly recommend countersinking the screws. Just use a sharp countersink tool and cut right through the vinyl. If you don't do this, the non-countersunk screws will twist the vinyl when you tighten them - ruining your whole panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2635.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	18326  
__________________
Dick Gossen
gossend@gmail.com
Flying: EAB RV-12 with Aeromomentum AM15-HP engine
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2021, 02:37 PM
JwWright57 JwWright57 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett H View Post
I am planning on covering the instrument panel of my RV-12 Classic with the 3M 2080 carbon fiber wrap film and I am seeking feedback from those who have already done this. Also, I am planning on using the non-countersunk fasteners like used in the iS version of the RV-12.

First, how did you cover the edges of the three instrument panel pieces? These panel pieces have outside edges that are essentially hidden when installed. Whereas the cutouts where the switch module and fuse module that attach to the backside of the instrument panel create exposed edges. Also, the map box door has an exposed edge.
I slightly heated the vinyl and pulled it tight around to the back and trimmed, worked pretty good.

Quote:
Did you apply the 3M 2080 film dry or did you use the Installation Gel? If you used the Installation Gel, did you do all the final trimming of the film prior to applying it the panel pieces? If you applied it dry, how did you trim the edges and holes?
I put it on dry. Pricked the crew holes with an exact knife and installed with the black screws and plastic washers that come with the iS kit
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Jeff Wright, Charlotte NC
Rv-12is with 912is and Dynon system.
Certified Aug 2021
Dues paid 2021
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.