What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

i39, Richmond, Madison Flyin, March 7th.

BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Since there were a couple different threads going about my flyin, I decided to post this one as the official thread. Mods, could you please delete the other two thread on the flyin that are up and running. I'm in the process of painting Black Magic so she will be present.

i39, Richmond, Madison Kickoff Flyin is
officially on the books for Saturday March 7th.

We have had a new business take over the FBO. Warbirds of America also has relocated to the corporate hangar. The appearance of the FBO has substantially changed along with the attitudes and environment. The airport is once again a nice place to hang out. I'll talk again to the new owners about having a fuel truck so no long lines will be present at the fuel farm.

i39 is located in Central Kentucky, just south of Lexington. We have had over 100 GA aircraft here for this one day flyin. The list of RV goes from RV-3s to Evos, Harmons, Supers to 4's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's....but no 10's as of last year. Let's change that one. This is a very low key, get the birds out and stretch those legs after the prior couple of months of winter weather flying. I'm not going to jinx the weather, suffice to say we have had a couple good years of weather.

Remember, if you fly in there will be no ambulances,
firetrucks or emergency personnel on site........there, that out of
the way.

We will once again have free coffee, donuts, Hooters wings,
hotdogs, colas, water ........................and..............again
this year...............a client is showing up with his mobile corn
roaster!!

Starting time is light 30 with closing at dark 30. Bring your camera
and best lies, you will need the best of both. No vendors, no $3
hotdogs, no forums, no nothing, just airplanes and friends. Be careful, this is an uncontrolled airfield with no NOTAMS, no nothing, safety is up to you.
Keep your head on a swivel and use the radio. You know the drill.

Looking forward to seeing everyone nice and early. 60 degrees and
sunshine.....YES, that's what we are pulling for!!

If you are driving in and would like to spend the night in the area, below is a list of local hotels:

Comfort Suites
859 624-0770
Next to Cracker Barrel

Hampton Inn
859 626-1002
Next to Bob Evans

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
859 624-4088
Walking distance Bob Evans

Best Western
859 623-9220
Same as above

Jameson Inn
859 623-0063
Bob Evans shares parking lot

La Quinta
859 623-9121
Near Cracker Barrel

Ramada Limited
859 626-8676
Same as above

Me cell phone is 859 625-2844 with home 859 369-7582

Keep your fingers crossed

As of this morning, the weather gods are cooperating with the long range forecast. Temps are supposed to be in the 50's by Weds next week with no rain in the forecast after this Sunday until next Sunday. The flyin predicted weather, I know...I don't trust the long range forecast much, is 51 degrees, mostly sunny, 10% chance of rain.

Get to working on your best lies:eek:, hangar trash talk:mad:. With the bunch that attends the flyin, you will have to be at your best;)

I better fire that little paint booth up today..................

Bump

I'll get a handle on the weather for Saturday, as the week progresses. They are currently predicting 65 degrees, let's see what the precip % is as it gets closer. I talked with the FBO manager yesterday, no fuel truck but his SS fuel prices are $3.10, the lowest in the area. Keep your weather fingers crossed.

The local TV station is predicting 64 degrees Saturday with a 20% chance of showers and the predicted rain moving on into Sunday and Monday. Keep your fingers crossed, 64 degrees and 20% could turn into a great day with lots of RV's. As of right now, we're on.

Since there were a couple different threads going about my flyin.............

Dana.....Way too easy.......would that be fly-in or flyin'????

I'm coming from Mississippi. What a great way to see others and visit my family in central KY.

Last edited:
We're ON for Saturday. Come one, come all....well maybe not all:eek: In light of me getting my airplane repaired and returned to the airport, I'm going a little light on food and refreshments....remember, this event is put on by me and only me, no committees, no clubs, no associations....just me. I'll have free coffee and donuts in the morning. The FBO will be cooking burgers and my client with the mobile corn roaster is planning on being there roasting corn and potatoes. I plan on spending time having fun hangin' on the ramp this year....actually, I'll probably be spending a lot of time around that lil' ol black aeroplane on the ramp.

Seriously, come on down, up, over, you'll have a good time. We have had RV's from Kansas, Michigan, Florida, Penn, the Carolinas, pretty much any state within a non stop fuel flight come for this flyin. We do have a good time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Remember, be observant. Starting mid morning the pattern will be consistently full. You will hear, "45 degree entry left downwind, flight of 4 three mile initial, flight of three have downwind in sight" You get the drift. Depending on the wind, if we are using 36, it is quite easy to land and make the turnoff. If you miss the turnoff, the taxiway only extends from the ramp entry to the threshold of 36 so you will have to back taxi on the runway. Be respectful of the people landing behind you. If we are using 18, I would plan on landing a little long to avoid having a long runway taxi to the ramp. Again, it all your call, as this is, and will be, an uncontrolled airport. If you are coming from the north and contact LEX approach, they will probably advise you there is a NOTAM for heavy traffic around i39. Keep your head on a swivel, let's have some fun with this 65 degree weather.

Now where did I put that other wing.................

Depending on weather sites you look at, the weather for the flyin is predicted to be anywhere between 68-72 degrees, mostly sunny with winds from 200-210. I'll be at the airport by light:30 Saturday. Once again, the FBO has SS fuel at $3.10. The SS tanks are on your right as you taxi into the ramp. For those parking, please leave room for people to get to the pumps.

I'll be very busy tomorrow transporting my 7 back to the airport and assembling her. Any questions, call my cell listed in the first post.

Looks like another great weather day for the flyin. Be careful and we'll see ya here Saturday.

Anyone wanna swing by Jax, FL?? or anyone from Florida going?? I'll split gas and would love to go!!

if so gimme a call, (832) 860-3239, Ian

Back