Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2022, 04:45 PM

Default Sudden Onset of Static in Headset

I am 10 hours since CI, a major job at Lockwood including new gear legs, 5-year hoses, and engine standoff. I mention this as a point of reference only. Today in flight the radio started crackling, popping and major static. I could not hear any transmission, AWOS, etc. I turned the radio off and still got the noise. I reset the headset plugs, but still no improvement. The VR is putting out the correct voltage/amps. When I slowed down in the traffic pattern the static mostly cleared and I could communicate.

I plan to check with the intercom off, examine all fuse pins, and recycle the master. Anyone ever have this event happen, or have ideas what to check beyond what I've outlined? I spoke to Lockwood and a local radio shop and have not gotten any definitive direction. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:51 PM

Not saying this is the problem, but it won't hurt to check. Check the splice in the ignition wires forward of the firewall.
The center of the coax cables are spliced, but not the shields. Also check the spark plug wires.
Also check the AC component of the regulator output. Should be less than 0.5 volt AC.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:40 PM

Since the noise didn’t change with the radio turned off, I would be suspicious of your headset jacks, or possibly the headset plugs. Maybe something came off or got loose, like a ground wire or shield connection. Also, do you have one of those music input jacks? I had one in one of my prior airplanes and it did exactly what you described. There was something wrong with that music jack, which was wired through my audio panel and intercom system, and when I removed the jack, the noise stopped. Bluetooth music input has been trouble free.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 06-27-2022, 07:23 PM

Look here.... https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=184104
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 790

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 06-28-2022, 06:45 AM

Default LED lights?

This video talks about an interference issue with LEDs. Iíve experienced it myself.
Possible ?

https://youtu.be/S_5axPgnFns
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7buPHH99v
Old 06-28-2022, 08:57 PM

I have a legacy D180 avionics suite. I have noticed that if static occurs switching the ICS to pilot isolate kills it. Since I usually enjoy the social distancing of flying alone it is an easy solution.😝
Old 06-29-2022, 04:32 PM

Thanks for all of the input. I did a couple of test flights today trying a number of your suggestions: Different headsets, different plugs, isolate the intercom, check the radio for secure mounting, and checking transmissions with a handheld. I'm still having the issue of good radio at departure with increasing static until unreadable. Today turning off the radio stopped the noise. The handheld (and tower) picked up static transmissions even when I was not transmitting. It has been suggested that a bad ground on the antenna might cause erroneous static transmissions. I've still got to search all wires later this week. I have an appointment with a radio shop in three weeks.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:39 AM

That’s also exactly what can happen with a bad LED, the switching power supply causes the noise, even on your handheld. Try unplugging/powering off any LEDs you might have ( see the video in post #5).
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7buPHH99v

Last edited by thiggins : 06-30-2022 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n74846 View Post
Thanks for all of the input. I did a couple of test flights today trying a number of your suggestions: Different headsets, different plugs, isolate the intercom, check the radio for secure mounting, and checking transmissions with a handheld. I'm still having the issue of good radio at departure with increasing static until unreadable. Today turning off the radio stopped the noise. The handheld (and tower) picked up static transmissions even when I was not transmitting. It has been suggested that a bad ground on the antenna might cause erroneous static transmissions. I've still got to search all wires later this week. I have an appointment with a radio shop in three weeks.
If both you and the tower are picking up static when you are not transmitting, that eliminates most of the classic stuff as it is not your system picking up errant noise (ground, LED, etc) and just putting it in the headset. That static is actually being transmitted from your aircraft with a decent amount of power. If the tower hears this with the radio off, that eliminates the radio as a source. If they only hear it with your radio on but not transmitting, it could be faulty and transmit noise even though the key is not pressed. May want to do some experiments in this area with the tower, as it is a weird type of problem. I think that a bad antenna ground would only create noise for the tower when that radio is transmitting. It should have no effect on the tower when not transmitting when all else is normal.

Do you have an ACK 121.5 ELT? I had a problem where I would pick up a loud screeching noise in the headset occasionally on final, but only on runways with ILS. Called around and found that ELT has a history of picking up certain transmissions and re-broadcasting them somehow. Pulled it's antenna off and sure enough it went away. Have no idea if the re-transmission was strong enough for the tower to pick up.

Sure seems odd that all is noise free on TO and increases in intensity as you climb. That also eliminates a lot of the classic static sources. Need to be thinking about what exactly is changing as you climb.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 06-30-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:06 AM

As an update, I have a 406 ELT, Strobes are off, and no accessories in the 12v outlet. The radio shop suggested I put the battery on charger, turn on the radio with engine off and let it sit for an hour and see if I can reproduce the symptom. If it occurs it's the radio. If not, keep digging...