What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying with my King Charles Cavalier Spaniel

Can anyone recomend some good ear protectors for dogs? I have a small dog who will be flying with me in my RV7 and I would like to make sure her ears are protected as best I can.

Ear protection

Hi Paul,

My wife and I fly with our King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. We bought MutMuffs for him, but he refuses to wear them! We have tried many times and finally just gave up.

He lays between us in our RV-9A with his head pointed forward laying 1/2 on each of our adjacent thighs. It can be a challenge to get to the aileron trim, but usually don't need to use it.

I can't say that he loves to fly, but once we get there he is a happy puppy!

same problem

Our King Charles couldn't get a good fit with the Mutt muffs. When I looked at them and was not impressed with the foam insides and read their literature that said most of the noise attenuation comes from their ears held over the ear canal, I figured that a bandana would work just as well and returned the muffs.

He too just lays down and zones out until we are there.

Gary Specketer

We use the cheap foam earplugs for our West Highland Terrier. After they expand completely, he does not seem to notice them. Just make sure you put them down far enough that they can't be "scratched" out.
Good luck!

King Charles!--Do you have to bow a little when you feed him or do a Bow-Wow?:)
Seriously though, if you use earplugs deep in the ear canal shouldn't you worry about pressure build-up on descent pushing them in too far?

King Charles!--Do you have to bow a little when you feed him or do a Bow-Wow?:)
Seriously though, if you use earplugs deep in the ear canal shouldn't you worry about pressure build-up on descent pushing them in too far?

I don't believe that they have ever moved. We use the kind that have a plastic lanyard, and just clip it so there is approx. .75" so we can pull them out.

Mutt Muffs

I use the Mutt Muffs on my Fox Terrier. I followed someone's suggestion of starting the engine before putting the Mutt Muffs on the dog so he can immediately know why he's getting these strange things on his head. :eek:

I thought at first they were a little overpriced for what we received, but hey, if I were to try to make something, it wouldn't be as nice as the Mutt Muffs. YMMV

Longest trip so far has been 1hr 15 min, and he fell asleep, so they must dampen the sound somewhat.

I have no experience whatsoever with a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. :cool:

Back