Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndi View Post
The following from Van's support line: "Visually the parts should look very much the same, the difference is the wall thickness of the cross tube has been increased form .049 up to .083, almost double."
Many thanks John.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:10 PM

Default I have one

Just inspected mine, and found a crack just where shown on the drawing. The powder coat had a hairline crack around 270 degrees of the tube. I scraped away a small portion of the coating and seemed like I could see the underlying crack. After applying dye penetrant it seems to be a crack for sure.

600 or so hours, no "hard" landings or other such events likely to be signifiicant.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblwy View Post
Just inspected mine, and found a crack just where shown on the drawing. The powder coat had a hairline crack around 270 degrees of the tube. I scraped away a small portion of the coating and seemed like I could see the underlying crack. After applying dye penetrant it seems to be a crack for sure.

600 or so hours, no "hard" landings or other such events likely to be signifiicant.
Was your prop balanced? Just wondering if that may be a contributing factor. Not that one sample would prove much one way or the other but perhaps worth asking the question.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:01 PM

tried to order not available til 1/12/2021
Alan
RV12- getting ready to hang engine
Old 12-01-2020, 06:03 PM

Folks,

FYI we published a minor revision to the SB-00023 document today in which we specifically call out the need to support the tail when lifting on the engine (tail stand or padded sawhorse under a bulkhead, etc), just in case someone would not think ahead of time to properly support the tail end of the aircraft while lifting on the nose. No one wants an unintentional tail strike, including in the shop.

And to answer the obvious question: No, this was not done in response to a specific incident.

Thx.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 12-02-2020, 01:46 AM

Default Any other cracks reported?

To answer your question, we did have some engine vibration last year around 3500rpm.

We overhauled the gearbox, rebalanced the carbs, and balanced the prop. We still get a little lumpiness at 3500rpm. None of this may be significant, but we won't know until we replace the broken standoff.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblwy View Post
To answer your question, we did have some engine vibration last year around 3500rpm.

We overhauled the gearbox, rebalanced the carbs, and balanced the prop. We still get a little lumpiness at 3500rpm. None of this may be significant, but we won't know until we replace the broken standoff.
When is the last time you inspected and rebuilt the Carburetors, including the main jets? The vibrations can cause the jets and needle valves to wear, and need replacement. Some trouble shooting ideas here: https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/gener...retor-overhaul

"Time to Spare, go by Air."

Last edited by NinerBikes : 12-02-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:36 AM

As has been stated many times… because the Rotax912 utilizes two individual carburetors, it is virtually impossible to have equal power balance L-R at all power settings. We synchronize throttle position with manifold pressure at idle, and off-idle, where uneven power pulses are damaging to the gearbox. Near wide-open throttle at cruise is very near synchronization by virtue of massive airflow and fuel atomization only thru the main jet. It is the mid-range that is problematic and not adjustable. Some carbs will be closely synchronized in mid-range, but it is really just luck of the draw.
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 790

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 12-02-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
When is the last time you inspected and rebuilt the Carburetors, including the main jets? The vibrations can cause the jets and needle valves to wear, and need replacement. Some trouble shooting ideas here: https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/gener...retor-overhaul
I didn't mention it but, amongst all the other work done last year, I also serviced the carbs and had the mags overhauled.

I cannot believe Vans is out of stock on the very day they announced the replacement part, claiming they had stuff in stock. Surely these should have been prioritised to folk with flying aircraft. I'm not happy having to wait best part of two months :-(

I don't suppose anyone has ordered one from stock which they don't need for two months?

Cheers...Keith

Last edited by gblwy : 12-02-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:27 AM

Default mag overhaul on rotax

Keith;
When you say you had the "mags overhauled", can you share how this is done?
Tom O
Olympia WA

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.