What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

04/29/2020: Garmin Introduces the Aera 760 Portable Aviation GPS

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Garmin is pleased to introduce the aera 760, a premium aviation portable that is purpose-built for the pilot and the cockpit. The aera 760 boasts a 7-inch bright, sunlight readable touchscreen display complete with comprehensive chart options in a compact and dedicated portable GPS. Additional features of the aera 760 include the option to load instrument approach procedures, arrivals and departures, approach chart overlay on the map, Garmin Connext wireless connectivity, as well as the option to integrate it with select Garmin avionics.

Aera%20760%20Yoke%20Mounted.tif%20%282%29-S.jpg

Featuring a modern yet rugged design, the aera 760 is an all-in-one aviation portable complete with a built-in GPS/GLONASS receiver that is optimized for the cockpit. Its bright, 7-inch sunlight readable display can run on battery power for up to four hours on a single charge. Along the bezel, an industry-standard USB-C connection is used to charge and power the aera 760, while a microSD card slot allows pilots to load topography and street maps or use it to easily transfer user waypoints. The aera 760 features an intuitive user-interface resembling that of many other popular Garmin products such as the GTN Xi series, G3X Touch and Garmin Pilot allowing pilots to easily transition between multiple Garmin products in the cockpit. Capable of operating in harsh conditions, the aera 760 has also been tested and hardened to meet stringent temperature and vibration standards.

076.3L%20Map%20Approach%20%28SXM%29-S.png

New to the aera 760, pilots can load departures, arrivals and instrument approach procedures (IAPs) within a flight plan, which can be wirelessly transferred to a navigator in the cockpit. Once a procedure is loaded within the aera 760, pilots have the option to view the chart or they can overlay it on the moving map. IFR enroute charts, VFR sectionals and Garmin FliteCharts are also geo-referenced, providing optimal situational awareness. Jeppesen electronic charts are compatible with the aera 760 and give customers worldwide access to instrument approach chart information. In addition to procedures, victor airways, user-defined holds and holds over an existing navigation fix can be entered into a flight plan.

IFR%20FLIGHT%20PLAN%20PAGE-S.png

Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow the aera 760 to take advantage of Garmin Connext wireless connectivity inside and outside of the cockpit. When connected to Wi-Fi, pilots can easily download aviation database and software updates without the need to physically connect it to a computer. Prior to departure, pilots can also view worldwide weather information on the aera 760 when it?s connected to Wi-Fi. In the cockpit, it is capable of wirelessly connecting to select products such as the GTX 345 or the GDL 52 to display the benefits of Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) traffic, Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) weather, SiriusXM aviation weather and more via Bluetooth. Exclusive features such as TerminalTraffic and TargetTrend can also be viewed on the moving map and dedicated traffic pages.

Pilots can hard-wire the aera 760?s power, audio and dual RS-232 connections to receive additional benefits. When connected to a navigator such as the GTN 650Xi/750Xi, GTN 650/750 or the GNS 430W/530W, the aera 760 can send and receive flight plan data that is entered into the navigator over a serial port so all products remain synchronized throughout the flight. It is also capable of wirelessly connecting to these navigators when paired with a Flight Stream 210/510. When connected to a NAV/COM such as the GTR 225, GNC 255 or GTR 200, frequencies and airport identifiers can also be transferred from the aera 760 to the corresponding NAV/COM. For aircraft flying in visual conditions, pilots can optionally connect the aera 760 to select autopilots to fly lateral GPS and single point vertical navigation (VNAV) guidance. For example, pilots flying in visual conditions can fly a VNAV profile from their current altitude to pattern altitude using the aera 760 fully coupled to the autopilot.

085.1L%20Map%20Approach%20%28Chart%20Wx%29%20COrrect-M.png

3D Vision technology displays a virtual 3D perspective view of surrounding terrain, obstacles and airports, as well as a horizontal situation indicator (HSI) that is capable of showing lateral and vertical deviation bars. When the aera 760 is panel mounted or paired with a compatible attitude source such as a GDL 52 or GTX 345, pilots can view synthetic vision (SVX), which adds the display of back-up attitude information on the portable.

073.1L%203D%20Vision%20Attitude%20Tapescorrect-M.png

The aera 760 also features fuel price information, an E6B flight computer and weight and balance calculators. The E6B can be used prior to a flight to aid in calculating fuel burn, estimated time of arrival (ETA) and more. While in-flight, the aera 760 utilizes ground speed information to recalculate fuel burn and ETA. GPS altitude display is offered in both mean sea level (MSL) and above ground level (AGL), so they are easier to identify relative to the aircraft flight path.

077.1L%20Map%20Fuel%20Prices-M.png

The aera 760 is expected to begin shipping in late May for a list price of $1,599 USD and is compatible with the cost-effective Garmin Navigation Database that is available in the Americas with US coverage starting at $39.95 for a single update. A variety of annual bundles are also available on the flyGarmin website, such as the U.S bundle for $169.95, which includes the Garmin Navigation Database, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, terrain, obstacles, SafeTaxi, and the airport directory with fuel prices. Pilots can also add enhanced map information such as topography or street maps using a MicroSD card. The aera 760 is supported by Garmin?s award-winning aviation support team, which provides 24/7 worldwide technical and warranty support.

Please feel free to send any questions our way, you can always contact us directly at [email protected] as well.

Thanks,

Justin

Specifications: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/681883#specs

Justin
Re feeding traffic via wifi/bluetooth. Will it take a traffic feed from a GDL 39R, via wifi or bluetooth?
I note your info that it will take a feed from "... the GDL 52....", But no mention of the GDL 39 series.
John

I'm surprised by the short battery life. If I had one complaint about my 660, it's the short battery life. I would have expected this larger unit to carry a few more mah.

-Matt

GDL 39 Compatibility

Justin
Re feeding traffic via wifi/bluetooth. Will it take a traffic feed from a GDL 39R, via wifi or bluetooth?
I note your info that it will take a feed from "... the GDL 52....", But no mention of the GDL 39 series.
John

John,

The Aera 760 is compatible with the GDL 39 units.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Sweet! So in reading the above, I ASSUME I can use my FS210 to transfer flight plans, adsb weather and traffic from my G-900x panel. Correct?

-Marc

Last edited:
Aera 760 9 pin D-Sub

One of my favorite features of the new Aera 760 is the 9 pin D-Sub connector on the included mount.

1wJ6ouUIS4rsxahzmgc9kUR9nondw_YnREClxCf5Kx5D4h7EzvVY_XAqUqnZ5gnxponuICgPuR87IjGs7ts6174X1wa87pQ6qaSuLXQAXHNQ96w_BlO7cuHCwBLbjAL23ppBDjdTCLWhaR8gqDQ50m7kaNFZ-vCco2szElfI8vxj4OVdzvlhzKfNj8ADx9Rfavhm6FQ-PgUVTLuymGMWvoh9KBz90XyyN42k4JeEiUM3b1enYQtUhJbq1noU6BqRu3i4uVXXK4_1Ame5XJwIpgFAbKH3yr1g0795yD4KI43o9ce_ie-D2C5d-iZPQW5gUCEF8Y5yq6dJ-WjqpEXhjynukD8L113IA6eBS03q-pdWJQPnj-BD4SW2R0dFBh9XFvKdUeLxb6o3Ss1LoQjckHphpbSxH5jzOp6f_HmKPKyPGwzX2_aK1h4p360IdQr9L14TyaYu_voaeQSoICcf1L0DNLfXIo9sLkKMP6KwNscdexrRtLM4j5Wnr4boLyMvRO72MwHvgFDYcAUgh8_d3r3huZSCKHXVMNeVV2wbhNwF091xS4yLhjYi1Zdp2qtcjYe884B76vrjTGn3sjyLOSlgcVjij6LHU4gNtzLsYLYCrQYJ7ObyE7hYiHJUXcJlZBkAqiDgnpEZ08zWWuMKSjazsQF8e8Q7XIHTMvIUYocITxVPDGArScPObj0cz7L9XqrCHZ0BSEqsvubUV0ZG6RUmy2J5A9r7ydFVdTCGtta9Hb-xrHIvBg=w398-h241-no

You can still buy a bare wire cable to simplify wiring (shown below), but you can also just grab a 9 pin connector, some aviation wire, and some size 20 (low density) socket pins to make your own wiring specific to your installation with power, ground, the 2 RS-232 interfaces, and alert audio.

eRWIAhak6tfTrGIvndGvvsz-Z3sFSANDaNqUNno7I4cGGQTWStpxXj1ZHviJPnwXfTjf10GMXld_CED86Xp_pS11Sx_OQEGppmqPC9I_go7pPwwKR7O-5eLwssjVkI2jWgEJR6Cb53TTfKzkuF3jOqGQCKI6nzPeDNB96Py0EiN7CBWsIVxG8YpSYIj8Orf9kLhCL05dHaEMMU5hfU9bNeHU41QEuWLIvEic8rxaMyfzFeAxuslAaADPT77vXDL3-dxTS-nBPk897v-K4Ju6KzMQdaQKVkC6fIWgnWoKW-6uagT_ZahKOIY4hnUqP7FHN5G-VVa-oHHVmJq1fddZNGQC4zG50F_n4Yns0cqPRqv8NKg2piedFNOKX-uUsQwzLortOlDrVpvUll2SnsjxyJhRU4Zy2eSB12C0K2-gMvBgcs6vfwIprs3UYqMjhxZMjfhDBeFgYOdOPtdAz2mlPFWRA5Sv1FM0fasonOmswC8qGipxrOkLg0pdr7OOxaqCSSbwykKkTzDqjWyCySMdLlEu4HBt-4MV5RNHgteqR1lGiP3EDCnhFEC1K7Pm2iDnpdwEMgkP7GqKbLOng2x-D6tHg_cDVAeUn8tPmWr1JkpqSGzTCEQdG9kEs7_huFkNW3eQYI8GP7rAEy2hNL6y1o38DXWjDGSwGzcg3ZwHnOSuncn93dmQCo6Ij8M4BILRg5QdksT0WGyE4OSWxekl_oFHGrz1jEtirmuVPUoq2PUDVHfwpBGzPw=w338-h241-no

If you want to use the Aera 760 in multiple aircraft, just install the necessary wiring/connector in each aircraft and plug the 9 pin connector in when you arrive. I have a label on the connector identifying how each of the two RS-232 ports are configured for the specific installation in case the unit is re-configured for some other use.

ACtC-3fzPIxdgGdsOg2f5SliPAm0S-2xz__INFBmp3BR7QOOMmk1tm69MLjd-196hpv5MELcyStWixZx7vdOCGMMJ9tJ8W9lPmMEZzZ7fyMYPoGcU_6bqWQiWcHGdUm-FNY3N_isStJ4AzYTZ53LghrcVmOi=w640

Garmin also sells additional Aera 760 mounts if you want to leave one in an aircraft and use another somewhere else.

Steve

Last edited:
Comparison with the 796

One of my favorite features of the new Aera 760 is the 9 pin D-Sub connector on the included mount.

1wJ6ouUIS4rsxahzmgc9kUR9nondw_YnREClxCf5Kx5D4h7EzvVY_XAqUqnZ5gnxponuICgPuR87IjGs7ts6174X1wa87pQ6qaSuLXQAXHNQ96w_BlO7cuHCwBLbjAL23ppBDjdTCLWhaR8gqDQ50m7kaNFZ-vCco2szElfI8vxj4OVdzvlhzKfNj8ADx9Rfavhm6FQ-PgUVTLuymGMWvoh9KBz90XyyN42k4JeEiUM3b1enYQtUhJbq1noU6BqRu3i4uVXXK4_1Ame5XJwIpgFAbKH3yr1g0795yD4KI43o9ce_ie-D2C5d-iZPQW5gUCEF8Y5yq6dJ-WjqpEXhjynukD8L113IA6eBS03q-pdWJQPnj-BD4SW2R0dFBh9XFvKdUeLxb6o3Ss1LoQjckHphpbSxH5jzOp6f_HmKPKyPGwzX2_aK1h4p360IdQr9L14TyaYu_voaeQSoICcf1L0DNLfXIo9sLkKMP6KwNscdexrRtLM4j5Wnr4boLyMvRO72MwHvgFDYcAUgh8_d3r3huZSCKHXVMNeVV2wbhNwF091xS4yLhjYi1Zdp2qtcjYe884B76vrjTGn3sjyLOSlgcVjij6LHU4gNtzLsYLYCrQYJ7ObyE7hYiHJUXcJlZBkAqiDgnpEZ08zWWuMKSjazsQF8e8Q7XIHTMvIUYocITxVPDGArScPObj0cz7L9XqrCHZ0BSEqsvubUV0ZG6RUmy2J5A9r7ydFVdTCGtta9Hb-xrHIvBg=w398-h241-no

You can still buy a bare wire cable to simplify wiring (shown below), but you can also just grab a 9 pin connector, some aviation wire, and some size 20 (low density) socket pins to make your own wiring specific to your installation with power, ground, the 2 RS-232 interfaces, and alert audio.

eRWIAhak6tfTrGIvndGvvsz-Z3sFSANDaNqUNno7I4cGGQTWStpxXj1ZHviJPnwXfTjf10GMXld_CED86Xp_pS11Sx_OQEGppmqPC9I_go7pPwwKR7O-5eLwssjVkI2jWgEJR6Cb53TTfKzkuF3jOqGQCKI6nzPeDNB96Py0EiN7CBWsIVxG8YpSYIj8Orf9kLhCL05dHaEMMU5hfU9bNeHU41QEuWLIvEic8rxaMyfzFeAxuslAaADPT77vXDL3-dxTS-nBPk897v-K4Ju6KzMQdaQKVkC6fIWgnWoKW-6uagT_ZahKOIY4hnUqP7FHN5G-VVa-oHHVmJq1fddZNGQC4zG50F_n4Yns0cqPRqv8NKg2piedFNOKX-uUsQwzLortOlDrVpvUll2SnsjxyJhRU4Zy2eSB12C0K2-gMvBgcs6vfwIprs3UYqMjhxZMjfhDBeFgYOdOPtdAz2mlPFWRA5Sv1FM0fasonOmswC8qGipxrOkLg0pdr7OOxaqCSSbwykKkTzDqjWyCySMdLlEu4HBt-4MV5RNHgteqR1lGiP3EDCnhFEC1K7Pm2iDnpdwEMgkP7GqKbLOng2x-D6tHg_cDVAeUn8tPmWr1JkpqSGzTCEQdG9kEs7_huFkNW3eQYI8GP7rAEy2hNL6y1o38DXWjDGSwGzcg3ZwHnOSuncn93dmQCo6Ij8M4BILRg5QdksT0WGyE4OSWxekl_oFHGrz1jEtirmuVPUoq2PUDVHfwpBGzPw=w338-h241-no

If you want to use the Aera 760 in multiple aircraft, just install the necessary wiring/connector in each aircraft and plug the 9 pin connector in when you arrive. I have a label on the connector identifying how each of the two RS-232 ports are configured for the specific installation in case the unit is re-configured for some other use.

Garmin also sells additional Aera 760 mounts if you want to leave one in an aircraft and use another somewhere else.

Steve
Steve
Is the wiring the same as the 796? Is there a feature comparison between the 796 and 760?
Assuming that the 2 RS 232 ports will hardwire interface to the GDL39 and the autopilot can you also connect garmin pilot on iPhone and iPad simultaneously via bluetooth and upload flight plans?
Can you now download flight data etc to the SD card?
Thanks
Figs

Last edited:
I think Garmin decided they need to move away from tablet electronics and have a dedicated package. this will compete with the iFly 740 but overall I prefer the iFly interface over the Garmin.

760 & autopilot?

Can the 760 drive an autopilot? If not, what is needed?

I was eyeing the G5 until this post... now I'm not sure. Or, am I looking at this completely wrong? It just seems the 760 has many features shared by the G5.

Thoughts?

Like the aera 660 I think the 760 can drive an autopilot, but only in conjuction WITH a G5 and maybe only for a Garmin GFC autopilot system. Clarification requestes.

Autopilot Compatiblity

Like the aera 660 I think the 760 can drive an autopilot, but only in conjuction WITH a G5 and maybe only for a Garmin GFC autopilot system. Clarification requestes.

It depends on the specifications of your autopilot. If it can be driven off of a NMEA RS232 output, it should work well for you.

Thanks,

Justin

Checklists

Does the new aera 760 have a checklist feature, either in the EFB area or other?

The PFD viewer would allow you to include checklists on the unit. It does not have a dedicated checklist function as the G3X Touch does however.

Thanks,

Justin

I just read the Aviation Consumer review of the aera 760. I was surprised by the following statement with respect to the GDL 5X(r) communication with the unit:

"Despite the aera’s ability to connect via Bluetooth or an RS-232 wired serial connection, some products—including FIS-B Cloud Tops Forecasts, Lightning, Turbulence and Icing—only work with a Bluetooth connection."

So if I hard wire the area 760 to a GDL 52 via direct wire cable does that statement imply I still can't get all the weather over RS-232? If so does that mean I need to also link the two units via Bluetooth to cover all bases?

Jim

The literature only references the GTN series. Are there any features between the 760 and the GNC355?
Thanks

The literature only references the GTN series. Are there any features between the 760 and the GNC355?
Thanks

The Aera 760 pilot guide states the following:

MapMX: Receives flight plan and navigation data from Garmin navigators. When MapMX data is received, a more accurate depiction of the flight plan legs are displayed on the moving map (i.e., holds, procedure turns, etc.). MapMX is the preferred data source when interfacing with Garmin navigators.​

All of the WAAS capable Garmin navigators including GNS 4XXW/5XXW, GTN 6XX/7XX, GPS 175, GNC 355, and GNX 375 are capable of outputting MapMX data which the Aera 660/760 can use to display SIDS, STARS, and approaches and other flight plans being used on the Garmin navigator.

I use both the Aera 660 and Aera 760 this way with my GNX 375. With a GNX 375, you can also display ADS-B traffic/weather on the Aera 660/760.

ACtC-3fbzBDfc3YHLXOq_4Sd7D-KAkzH-lKILnPSZkwE-6CXPG0UIby7-X0ydg8y65QtTQ-wPCtZhhqYgnW6wNjoR1mzRmMcxZW_rpsn4nKE9ECbAMTN_FSkdlJHj6fdsS8qKslgJVOqy4WyEMGx1S9ZHEf3=w640

Steve

FIS-B Weather Products

I just read the Aviation Consumer review of the aera 760. I was surprised by the following statement with respect to the GDL 5X(r) communication with the unit:

"Despite the aera’s ability to connect via Bluetooth or an RS-232 wired serial connection, some products—including FIS-B Cloud Tops Forecasts, Lightning, Turbulence and Icing—only work with a Bluetooth connection."

So if I hard wire the area 760 to a GDL 52 via direct wire cable does that statement imply I still can't get all the weather over RS-232? If so does that mean I need to also link the two units via Bluetooth to cover all bases?

Jim

Jim,

For the time being this is correct, a future software update for the GDL 52 will be required to facilitate the transfer of these products via RS-232.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
If I want to interface the aera 760 to an existing GTN 650 installation shall I assume I can do it with a single shielded two-conductor twisted pair wire using available RS-232 channels between the two units? If so, is MAPMX the correct data format setting in each device's port configuration to get the bi-directional flight plan transfer between them? No Flightstream devices.

Thanks,

Jim

Garmin is pleased to introduce the aera 760, a premium aviation portable that is purpose-built for the pilot and the cockpit. The aera 760 boasts a 7-inch bright, sunlight readable touchscreen display complete with comprehensive chart options in a compact and dedicated portable GPS. Additional features of the aera 760 include the option to load instrument approach procedures, arrivals and departures, approach chart overlay on the map, Garmin Connext wireless connectivity, as well as the option to integrate it with select Garmin avionics.

Aera%20760%20Yoke%20Mounted.tif%20%282%29-S.jpg

Featuring a modern yet rugged design, the aera 760 is an all-in-one aviation portable complete with a built-in GPS/GLONASS receiver that is optimized for the cockpit. Its bright, 7-inch sunlight readable display can run on battery power for up to four hours on a single charge. Along the bezel, an industry-standard USB-C connection is used to charge and power the aera 760, while a microSD card slot allows pilots to load topography and street maps or use it to easily transfer user waypoints. The aera 760 features an intuitive user-interface resembling that of many other popular Garmin products such as the GTN Xi series, G3X Touch and Garmin Pilot allowing pilots to easily transition between multiple Garmin products in the cockpit. Capable of operating in harsh conditions, the aera 760 has also been tested and hardened to meet stringent temperature and vibration standards.

076.3L%20Map%20Approach%20%28SXM%29-S.png

New to the aera 760, pilots can load departures, arrivals and instrument approach procedures (IAPs) within a flight plan, which can be wirelessly transferred to a navigator in the cockpit. Once a procedure is loaded within the aera 760, pilots have the option to view the chart or they can overlay it on the moving map. IFR enroute charts, VFR sectionals and Garmin FliteCharts are also geo-referenced, providing optimal situational awareness. Jeppesen electronic charts are compatible with the aera 760 and give customers worldwide access to instrument approach chart information. In addition to procedures, victor airways, user-defined holds and holds over an existing navigation fix can be entered into a flight plan.

IFR%20FLIGHT%20PLAN%20PAGE-S.png

Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow the aera 760 to take advantage of Garmin Connext wireless connectivity inside and outside of the cockpit. When connected to Wi-Fi, pilots can easily download aviation database and software updates without the need to physically connect it to a computer. Prior to departure, pilots can also view worldwide weather information on the aera 760 when it?s connected to Wi-Fi. In the cockpit, it is capable of wirelessly connecting to select products such as the GTX 345 or the GDL 52 to display the benefits of Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) traffic, Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) weather, SiriusXM aviation weather and more via Bluetooth. Exclusive features such as TerminalTraffic and TargetTrend can also be viewed on the moving map and dedicated traffic pages.

Pilots can hard-wire the aera 760?s power, audio and dual RS-232 connections to receive additional benefits. When connected to a navigator such as the GTN 650Xi/750Xi, GTN 650/750 or the GNS 430W/530W, the aera 760 can send and receive flight plan data that is entered into the navigator over a serial port so all products remain synchronized throughout the flight. It is also capable of wirelessly connecting to these navigators when paired with a Flight Stream 210/510. When connected to a NAV/COM such as the GTR 225, GNC 255 or GTR 200, frequencies and airport identifiers can also be transferred from the aera 760 to the corresponding NAV/COM. For aircraft flying in visual conditions, pilots can optionally connect the aera 760 to select autopilots to fly lateral GPS and single point vertical navigation (VNAV) guidance. For example, pilots flying in visual conditions can fly a VNAV profile from their current altitude to pattern altitude using the aera 760 fully coupled to the autopilot.

085.1L%20Map%20Approach%20%28Chart%20Wx%29%20COrrect-M.png

3D Vision technology displays a virtual 3D perspective view of surrounding terrain, obstacles and airports, as well as a horizontal situation indicator (HSI) that is capable of showing lateral and vertical deviation bars. When the aera 760 is panel mounted or paired with a compatible attitude source such as a GDL 52 or GTX 345, pilots can view synthetic vision (SVX), which adds the display of back-up attitude information on the portable.

073.1L%203D%20Vision%20Attitude%20Tapescorrect-M.png

The aera 760 also features fuel price information, an E6B flight computer and weight and balance calculators. The E6B can be used prior to a flight to aid in calculating fuel burn, estimated time of arrival (ETA) and more. While in-flight, the aera 760 utilizes ground speed information to recalculate fuel burn and ETA. GPS altitude display is offered in both mean sea level (MSL) and above ground level (AGL), so they are easier to identify relative to the aircraft flight path.

077.1L%20Map%20Fuel%20Prices-M.png

The aera 760 is expected to begin shipping in late May for a list price of $1,599 USD and is compatible with the cost-effective Garmin Navigation Database that is available in the Americas with US coverage starting at $39.95 for a single update. A variety of annual bundles are also available on the flyGarmin website, such as the U.S bundle for $169.95, which includes the Garmin Navigation Database, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, terrain, obstacles, SafeTaxi, and the airport directory with fuel prices. Pilots can also add enhanced map information such as topography or street maps using a MicroSD card. The aera 760 is supported by Garmin?s award-winning aviation support team, which provides 24/7 worldwide technical and warranty support.

Please feel free to send any questions our way, you can always contact us directly at [email protected] as well.

Thanks,

Justin

Specifications: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/681883#specs

Would be nice to have the same capability in the G3X to send flight plans to the navigator. Why does the 760 have more capability than the more expensive 7" G3X Touch

Has anybody hard wired an aera 760 to a GTN series navigator to share flight plan data? I am trying to interpret the GTN manual and the aera manual to create a proper schematic. I think all I should need is a single two conductor twisted-pair shielded wire. But a lot of the press releases and marketing brochures mentions dual RS-232 connection for this. The aera only has two RS-232 channels to start with and I was hoping to also hard wire a GDL 50R to the portable. And what serial data format is used between the aera 760 and GTN? MapMX?

Thanks

Has anybody hard wired an aera 760 to a GTN series navigator to share flight plan data? I am trying to interpret the GTN manual and the aera manual to create a proper schematic. I think all I should need is a single two conductor twisted-pair shielded wire. But a lot of the press releases and marketing brochures mentions dual RS-232 connection for this. The aera only has two RS-232 channels to start with and I was hoping to also hard wire a GDL 50R to the portable. And what serial data format is used between the aera 760 and GTN? MapMX?

Thanks

I have the aera 760 connected to the GNX 375, I used RS232 on port 2 to talk MapMx to the 375 and BlueTooth to talk Connext for TIS, AHRS, Weather etc. All works fine including flight plan upload and modification. The reason for the connection on port 2 is that if port one on the 760 is used for MapMx it prevents VHF frequency upload on port two to my SL 30, works fine when the ports are swapped.
I can provide more wiring info if it helps.
Figs

Last edited:

Thanks

Hi Jim,

This should do the trick. Yes, you use MapMX on the Aera 760 and MapMX Format 1 on the GTN.

The other serial port on the Aera 760 can be wired to the GDL 50R like shown in the Aera 760 manual.

Aera 760 to GTN Wiring.png

Steve

Jim, don't forget to jump off that MAPMX output line for the G5 you're installing. The GTN can only do a single MAPMX output.

Hi Jim,

This should do the trick. Yes, you use MapMX on the Aera 760 and MapMX Format 1 on the GTN.

The other serial port on the Aera 760 can be wired to the GDL 50R like shown in the Aera 760 manual.

View attachment 14810

Steve

Why does the GTN only "send" information to the aera 760 (i.e. one RS-232 data wire)? I thought flight plans could be sent back and forth between the two units. How does this work with only one wire?

Here is what the product description from Garmin states, "When connected to a navigator such as the GTN 650Xi/750Xi or GTN 650/750, the aera 760 can send and receive flight plan data that is entered into the navigator over a serial port so all products remain synchronized throughout the flight. "

Is that true with the attachment diagram only showing a one-way channel from the GTN to the aera? I am getting ready to fire up the panel installation and provided both send and receive RS-232 channels between the units as shown in the 760 manual for the GNX 375, but now I see it has a note that the second channel (from aera to GTN) is for aera 660 only. Just adds to the confusion. I am sure data connections and configurations won't smoke any hardware but want to learn more as there will be more of these aera 760 hard wires in my future.

I have my schematic attached with GTN/aera connection area in blue.

Thanks

Attachments

• aera 760 and GTN 650 Install.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 271
Still figuring out the connectivity/functionality between the 760 and the GNX 375 but it does seem that the 760 is primarily a display device for the navigator rather than a controller. I have not yet tried the flight plan update from the 760 to the 375 but I do know that you cannot use the "Direct To" function on the 760 to control the "Direct To" function on the 375 via MapMx which would eliminate the need to connect the 760 to the A/P for lateral navigation.
Figs

Flight Plan Transfer

Why does the GTN only "send" information to the aera 760 (i.e. one RS-232 data wire)? I thought flight plans could be sent back and forth between the two units. How does this work with only one wire?

Here is what the product description from Garmin states, "When connected to a navigator such as the GTN 650Xi/750Xi or GTN 650/750, the aera 760 can send and receive flight plan data that is entered into the navigator over a serial port so all products remain synchronized throughout the flight. "

Is that true with the attachment diagram only showing a one-way channel from the GTN to the aera? I am getting ready to fire up the panel installation and provided both send and receive RS-232 channels between the units as shown in the 760 manual for the GNX 375, but now I see it has a note that the second channel (from aera to GTN) is for aera 660 only. Just adds to the confusion. I am sure data connections and configurations won't smoke any hardware but want to learn more as there will be more of these aera 760 hard wires in my future.

I have my schematic attached with GTN/aera connection area in blue.

Thanks

The MAPMX connection allows for downstream flight plan information to be fed from the GNX 375 to the Aera 760. The Connext format should allow flight plans to be transferred bi-directionally, but it seems to be inoperative with certain navigators at this time, we are looking into the matter and will get this resolved.

A Bluetooth connection between the two allows for bi-directional flight plan crossfill.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
The MAPMX connection allows for downstream flight plan information to be fed from the GNX 375 to the Aera 760. A Connext serial datapath can be included, which will allow you to send flight plans from the Aera 760 to the GNX 375, the received flight plans will be populated in the flight plan catalog as pending, rather than as a flight plan modification directly.

A Bluetooth connection between the two allows for bi-directional flight plan crossfill.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks, g3xpert.

My question is with regard to the GTN series navigator hardwired with the aera 760. Per this quote from the Garmin marketing literature with respect to hard-wiring:

"Pilots can hard-wire the aera 760’s power, audio and dual RS-232 connections to receive additional benefits. When connected to a navigator such as the GTN 650Xi/750Xi or GTN 650/750, the aera 760 can send and receive flight plan data that is entered into the navigator over a serial port so all products remain synchronized throughout the flight. " This is a description of hard-wiring from Garmin.

There is no sample diagram of this in either the GTN installation manual or the aera 760 installation and user's guide showing the hard-wire connection between the two. There is only a sample diagram of the GNX 375, which curiously shows a hard wire both ways with an aera 660 but only downstream to the 760 from the GNX 375.

Is the marketing description of all the benefits of hard-wiring the aera 760 to the GTN series in error?

Last edited:
Meanwhile. I understand if the aera 660 / 760 has GPS signal it can share its position with a GDL 5x(R). But is the opposite true? If the GDL 5x(R) has GPS position can it share that back to an aera docked in the panel? I have been under this assumption for a while but recent comments have me thinking this may not be the case.

On a related note. Can a GTN panel-mount navigator share position to the GDL 5x(R)? If there is an open serial channel on each can we hook them up and have the GTN provide position to the GDL 5x(R) so GDL doesn't have to use its own internal antenna or an external antenna plugged into the GDL 5x(R)? Like in a hidden install.

Meanwhile. I understand if the aera 660 / 760 has GPS signal it can share its position with a GDL 5x(R). But is the opposite true? If the GDL 5x(R) has GPS position can it share that back to an aera docked in the panel? I have been under this assumption for a while but recent comments have me thinking this may not be the case.

Hi Jim,

No, high performance WAAS GPS/GLONASS navigators like the Aera 660/760 only use their excellent internal receivers and don't accept external GPS data from a GDL 5X/5XR traffic/weather receiver.

On a related note. Can a GTN panel-mount navigator share position to the GDL 5x(R)? If there is an open serial channel on each can we hook them up and have the GTN provide position to the GDL 5x(R) so GDL doesn't have to use its own internal antenna or an external antenna plugged into the GDL 5x(R)? Like in a hidden install.

No, there is no interface supported between a GTN and a GDL 5X/5XR.

Steve

Steve,

I was told back in 2017 at the Garmin Oshkosh booth that as long as either the GDL or aera had GPS the position would be shared to the other. I have installed 4 systems in 4 airplanes based on this idea, with three having an antenna on the GDL but not one on the aera. I guess I got bad info at KOSH but I have found that's not uncommon at Garmin booths. The 3 without area antennas must have had good enough GPS signal for the aera internal GPS to work on it's own. One was even in a Cessna 195, which isn't as exposed to the sky as an RV canopy.

Okay then. Can the GTN navigator send position information to the aera 760? I know the 760 supports MapMX protocol from the GTN. In that mode it seems like the aera 760 is "slaved" to the GTN for flight plan/navigation information. Is MapMX sending position to the the area? If not, how about Connext 56700 or other data type to send GPS data to the aera?

My current install has an aera 760 surface mounted to a panel with an extensive metal glareshield overhang that blocks GPS signals pretty good. As far as using the 760's MCX type GPS antenna port for an external antenna, that GPS connector is unfortunately on the back side of the unit. That makes it infeasible to plug the external antenna into this 760 since the unit's back is against the instrument panel. Compare that to the aera 660 that also uses an MCX GPS connector but it is located on the end of the 660 unit and not on the flush back like the 760. Not to mention MCX is the worst connector interface to connect and disconnect regularly when docking and un-docking the aera and MCX is also the connector most susceptible to handling damage.

So my question arises when I think it would be nice for the 760 to pick up position from the GTN WAAS navigator as either a primary or backup position source to eliminate the need for the external antenna on the 760 and the associated panel interference problem with the antenna connector. If the 760 in turn could also send said GPS position to the GDL 50R that would be icing on the cake but no big deal as I already have a dedicated GPS antenna for the GDL 50R.

Last edited:
Steve,

I was told back in 2017 at the Garmin Oshkosh booth that as long as either the GDL or aera had GPS the position would be shared to the other. I have installed 4 systems in 4 airplanes based on this idea, with three having an antenna on the GDL but not one on the aera. I guess I got bad info at KOSH but I have found that's not uncommon at Garmin booths. The 3 without area antennas must have had good enough GPS signal for the aera internal GPS to work on it's own. One was even in a Cessna 195, which isn't as exposed to the sky as an RV canopy.

Okay then. Can the GTN navigator send position information to the aera 760? I know the 760 supports MapMX protocol from the GTN. In that mode it seems like the aera 760 is "slaved" to the GTN for flight plan/navigation information. Is MapMX sending position to the the area? If not, how about Connext 56700 or other data type to send GPS data to the aera?

My current install has an aera 760 surface mounted to a panel with an extensive metal glareshield overhang that blocks GPS signals pretty good. As far as using the 760's MCX type GPS antenna port for an external antenna, that GPS connector is unfortunately on the back side of the unit. That makes it infeasible to plug the external antenna into this 760 since the unit's back is against the instrument panel. Compare that to the aera 660 that also uses an MCX GPS connector but it is located on the end of the 660 unit and not on the flush back like the 760. Not to mention MCX is the worst connector interface to connect and disconnect regularly when docking and un-docking the aera and MCX is also the connector most susceptible to handling damage.

So my question arises when I think it would be nice for the 760 to pick up position from the GTN WAAS navigator as either a primary or backup position source to eliminate the need for the external antenna on the 760 and the associated panel interference problem with the antenna connector. If the 760 in turn could also send said GPS position to the GDL 50R that would be icing on the cake but no big deal as I already have a dedicated GPS antenna for the GDL 50R.

Hi Jim,

No, the Aera 660/760 cannot receive GPS data from an external navigator, even when receiving MapMX from the navigator. The Aera 760 IS the navigator. Just as you would never expect your GTN to receive GPS data from the Aera 760, you wouldn't expect the Aera 760 to not act as a fully functional standalone GPS navigator using its own powerful GPS receiver.

Sorry you were given information to the contrary.

I appreciate that you are trying to find a way to install the Aera 760 in a location where the excellent internal GPS antenna is not working well enough. Unless you are embedding the unit inside the instrument panel (i.e. flush mounting, which would be a big mistake), I am surprised that the unit is not receiving a good enough GPS signal using the internal GPS antenna even with your metal glare shield. Admittedly, I don't have a metal glare shield in my plane above the Area 760, but it is always receiving a great signal, even inside the front part of the hangar using just the internal antenna.

I guess everyone has different goals for their avionics, but one of the primary reasons I use the Aera 760 is to have an independent, standalone, battery backed VFR GPS navigator if for some reason I am having a power emergency and lose my single G3X Touch display and GNX 375 navigator. My battery backed G5 and Aera 760 will continue to operate to get me to an airport, without any help from any other device in the plane, should this occur.

Steve

Agree. This is often the best option, especially when you want to flush mount the unit into the instrument panel.

Steve

I have one for my 760 that's in an AirGizmos panel mount. The panel mount has a slot for connecting the antenna before putting the 760 in the panel. Works great.

I too am all about external antenna for panel mounted aera GPS. For reference of the current project I am mounting the 760 in landscape orientation within a legacy center stack, so I modified one of Steve Melton's 3D printed mounts to fit horizontal. Not intended to be landscape in a standard center stack by design but works very nice as an MFD and for situational awareness. The area 760 would be a good replacement for older MFDs like the MX 200 so why not put it where can be used in the stack? Since the aera in landscape mode is wider than the stack the sides overlap the legacy angle mount areas. So the 760's GPS antenna connector couldn't be in a worse location. I already have an external antenna mounted under the fiberglass glareshield for the system. But to connect to the 760's antenna port I would have to permanently butcher the center-stack panel's angle mount area. So it's not so much the dock mount vs. antenna port as I went rouge on modifying it to fit the stack in landscape. See the last photo of the series for the interference location. I would have planned things differently had I known the external antenna connected to the GDL 50R doesn't send it's location data back to the aera.

By the way, I suggest those of use who want to use a an area panel mount to use our fellow VAF'er Steve Melton's 3D printed GPS dock from www.gpsdock1.com rather than the Gizmos. He's local and has more options in the design.

I will give things a go and see how the GPS reception performs "as is" before undertaking carving out a spot on the panel near the riveted stack cut-out angle.

Agree. This is often the best option, especially when you want to flush mount the unit into the instrument panel.

Steve

Attachments

• Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 331
  • GDL 50R.jpg
    GDL 50R.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Panel 2.jpg
    Panel 2.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 475
  • Antenna Port.jpg
    Antenna Port.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 230
Replace 496

I am hoping to replace the 496 in our work airplane with a 760, but need to confirm the 760 street navigation options work like the 496. Specifically, I need to be able to type in a specific street address and navigate directly there. It appears from Garmin’s website that I will be able to navigate to street intersections. Can anybody with a 760 confirm this for me? Thank you.

Wow. Very interesting application. Garmin marketing material states, "Pilots can also add enhanced map information such as topography or street maps using a MicroSD card". The product web page states, "Optional maps allow pilots to enter street intersections and other non-aviation waypoints for easy navigation." But I have found that Garmin marketing material sometimes promises features that don't materialize. Like the marketing promise the 760 could do two-way flight plan transfers over RS232 when it in fact doesn't. Somebody in accounting decided you should have to buy a Flighstream 510 to enable this.

Meanwhile, were it me I would be tempted to use Google Maps on my smartphone for finding street addresses. But it ain't me. And you might not be in a position to get cellular signals when flying. So, when I go to flygarmin.com and look at the database subscriptions for one of our aera 760s there is an item for "map enhancements" but it is grayed out. When I go to look at other database options there is no mention of street enhancements or any other optional maps.

If I get a chance in the next couple of days I will pull a 760 from an airplane and see if there is said street mapping.

Jim

Meanwhile, were it me I would be tempted to use Google Maps on my smartphone for finding street addresses.

When I want to fly to a friend's house or some other location on the ground that is not in my navigation database, I just find it in Google Maps, right click on it to get the lat/lon and create a user waypoint that I can insert into a flight plan or go direct-to.

For example, here is the Garmin world headquarters user waypoint that comes pre-defined in many Garmin products.

GarminUserWaypoint.png

Steve

Thank you both for your response. Spoke with Garmin and was told I can do this if I purchase a “City Navigator SD Card” and install it into the 760. For some reason the street maps are not downloadable to the 760. If anybody has tried this I would love to confirm that it works as advertised before buying everything.

We do use our phones when in cell service, but often we are not in service. Northern California is big, mountainous and sparsely populated. Also, we often get additional addresses via radio after we are airborne so planning ahead doesn’t always work.

We have tried ForeFlight for this application, which has a downloadable street address feature, but it doesn’t work reliably and doesn’t show the streets without an Internet connection. Our old 496 always works, but it is slow to refresh and it won’t send a flight plan to the panel.

So if I want to hide my GDL39 can I install a remote ADSB antenna and get GPS into it from the Aera 660 like in this wiring diagram or does the GDL39 need it's own GPS antenna? My drawing is very crude but I think shows what I'm trying to do.

AERA 660 has an external GPS antenna connected

G5s have an external GPS antenna connected

GDL 39 doesn't have an external antenna (unless you guys tell me it's needed)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.52.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.52.51 PM.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 118
GDL 39 GPS Data

So if I want to hide my GDL39 can I install a remote ADSB antenna and get GPS into it from the Aera 660 like in this wiring diagram or does the GDL39 need it's own GPS antenna? My drawing is very crude but I think shows what I'm trying to do.

The GDL 39 can receive GPS information from an Aera 660. This interface is covered in the Aera 660 Pilot's guide, on page 185.

Thanks,

Justin

Well, the answer to your question is "yes". The 660 gladly send GPS position to the GDL 39. So the GDL 39 doesn't need a GPS antenna, either it's internal or an external. So you will be good to go.

Thanks, then I'm understanding correctly. Do the rest of the connections seem correct? I'm not very familiar with RS232 except for what I've learned reading during the last couple of months while installing the JPI and it's been a lot of trial and error.

660 output to the G5s and the GDL39 are all from the same port with Garmin protocol and the 660 output port going to the JPI is NMEA.

Last edited:
Back