What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Koger Sunshade adhesion

flyindoorman

Well Known Member
I installed a Koger sunshade in my Rocket and it is falling off of the canopy. I adjusted it as close as i could get it to shape of the canopy before installation. Any recommendations for what to use to reattach it to the canopy?

The nice folks at Koger will be happy to sell (maybe even give) you some new mounting strips.

If mine ever come off, I would carefully use a Q-tip to apply 3M Primer 94 to the plexiglass where the replacement double-sticky tape would go.

Mine has been stuck for several years. I would guess that the key is proper cleaning before applying the tape. These canopies have a fairly generous coating of release agent and it takes a good bit of scrubbing with alcohol or mineral spirits to get it all off. As the name implies, it allows items, such as adhesive tape, to be easily "released." It is there to pop the acrylic out of the mold and most don't clean it off before shipping to the customer.

Larry

The RV-6 I used to fly had a similar problem. The builder replaced the sticky tape with a full-length run of Velcro. It held very well and compensated for the slightly imperfect fit and any changes in the canopy's shape.

Koger

I reached out to Koger they are sending more tape and suggested a 3M product to correct adhesion issues. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

primer 94

Hmmm. Interesting stuff. I think I'll use it to apply the wing walk and weatherstripping. Have the same issue with some of the velcro I put in the interior.

Back