What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Airventure 2021 - Garmin Smart Glide For G3X Touch

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Afternoon!

Things are heating up as Oshkosh Airventure 2021 is right around the corner. Several of the Garmin TeamX members will be representing at the show, and we look forward to getting the chance to meet many of our fantastic customers in person throughout the week.

The team has been hard at work throughout the year on many new features for our equipment. One which we are excited to announce is the latest addition to the Autonomi family of autonomous flight technology: Smart Glide for G3X Touch series flight displays.

In the event of the loss of engine power in a single-engine aircraft, a pilot faces the urgent, workload-intensive job of maneuvering the aircraft from its current position to a suitable landing location. Building upon, and in-part borrowing from, the Collier Award winning Garmin Autoland system introduced in 2019, Smart Glide is designed to assist the pilot by enhancing situational awareness and providing helpful automation during an emergency inoperative engine event.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate

The G3X Touch is always monitoring nearby airports throughout a given flight. When Smart Glide is activated, it automatically activates a Direct To route to the Best Airport estimated to be within glide range based on several factors including runway length and condition; proximity; terrain; and available weather from sources such as FIS-B, or SiriusXM weather, in addition to current measured winds calculated by the primary flight display (PFD).

Smart Glide is engaged by pressing and holding the Direct To button, using the dedicated Emergency Databar menu, or by using a dedicated panel mounted switch.

i-577HBxJ.jpg

If the G3X Touch system includes GSA 28 Autopilot Servos, with sufficient altitude Smart Glide activation also simultaneously engages the autopilot to pitch for best glide airspeed and initiates GPS navigation to the recommended airport, where the pilot will then take control of the aircraft and land. If excess altitude remains at the time the aircraft reaches the field, the autopilot will initiate a series of standard rate turns to descend until the pilot disconnects the autopilot. The pilot can deactivate Smart Glide at any time with the dedicated panel switch or using the Emergency page. In addition, the autopilot can be disconnected using the same methods during normal operation, such as the AP disconnect switch installed on the controls.

i-g8BhzC2.jpg

To save you time, Smart Glide will populate the destination airport’s CTAF or tower frequency into the primary COM standby. Also available are shortcuts to tune the transponder to squawk the 7700 emergency code and tune the standby COM frequency to 121.5 as shown above.

In the event the system estimates there is not an airport within glide range, the autopilot will automatically pitch for best glide speed, and roll wings level, quickly setting you up for a glide and allowing you to choose a suitable landing location.

We will be rolling out software to enable Smart Glide and other new features after the show and will provide Pilot's Guide and Installation Manual updates alongside it to help familiarize yourself with the system and provide further details.

Safe travels,

Justin

That is a cool new feature and I can't wait to play with it. Hopefully I never have to use it for real but it could be a life saver.

Outstanding :) I figured this'd be a G3X feature when I saw the videos popping up in the Gamin Aviation feed for certified aircraft.

Notwithstanding the optional panel button to activate/deactivate it: Is it an extra cost option, or is it going to be rolled in to the normal G3X Touch software upgrade cycle?

- mark

Will these features eventually show up in other garmin navigator products like the GNX 375?

Autoland

It will be interesting to see if Smart Glide can function as an “almost” autoland during a good airplane but incapacitated pilot situation. Maybe: 1. Activate Smart Glide, 2. Reduce power slightly to start a descent. 3. Flare the landing. 4. Throttle idle or mixture cutoff. 5. Apply brakes. Possibly put simple directions in the Emergency Checklist that’s on the Smart Glide screen.

Might be much easier to teach my non-flying wife instead of the pinch hitter curriculum we’ve tried.

Pretty sweet! Now if you can just tie into the Rotax FADEC we could have full Autoland, minus braking. :)

Or would we also need a throttle servo? Still doable, no?

Is glide distance actively being adjusted real-time?

Being involved in an engine out earlier this year and realizing the glide distance is greatly reduced due to increased drag by the prop. Simulated engine out isn’t the same and when has anyone actually shut down their engine to determine actual glide distance. Can I assume the G3X s/w will be calculating the glide distance ring as the best glide speed is maintained and descent rate is determined?

I know with Foreflt you have to input the parameters to determine the glide distance of your plane, which I’m not sure is anyone really knows for sure.

Last edited:
Wow,

what an incredibly useful feature! Really excited to get a chance to install this on my 9A and check it out.

The amount of new features that Garmin has added (all free) to my G3X Touch in the five+ years I've been flying it are amazing.

-Dan

Smart Glide Software Update

Outstanding :) I figured this'd be a G3X feature when I saw the videos popping up in the Gamin Aviation feed for certified aircraft.

Notwithstanding the optional panel button to activate/deactivate it: Is it an extra cost option, or is it going to be rolled in to the normal G3X Touch software upgrade cycle?

- mark

Hi Mark,

This will be part of the next software update for the G3X Touch. There is no additional cost associated with this feature.

The panel mounted switch shown in the marketing material is a neat addition to an installation, this switch is grounding a discrete input on the GEA 24, GAD 27, or GSU 73, which will be assigned and programmed by the installer for this purpose. You are able to use a switch of your choosing to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Justin

It will be interesting to see if Smart Glide can function as an “almost” autoland during a good airplane but incapacitated pilot situation. Maybe: 1. Activate Smart Glide, 2. Reduce power slightly to start a descent. 3. Flare the landing. 4. Throttle idle or mixture cutoff. 5. Apply brakes. Possibly put simple directions in the Emergency Checklist that’s on the Smart Glide screen.

Might be much easier to teach my non-flying wife instead of the pinch hitter curriculum we’ve tried.

We appreciate all of the great questions, and feedback!

Autoland was designed to be engaged in the case that a pilot is incapacitated, while the aircraft is operating normally. In contrast, Smart Glide was designed for a pilot that is perfectly fine, whose aircraft is not. The two systems were purpose built to address 2 distinctly different in flight emergencies. The intended goal of Smart Glide is to reduce the workload of the pilot-in-command in an emergency engine-out scenario, rather than to replace the pilot altogether.

The primary objectives of Smart Glide are to quickly pitch for and hold best glide airspeed preserving critical glide range, help to identify and in some cases navigate to a suitable landing location, and help access relevant communications channels faster. We do all of this with a single button push, ideally providing the pilot with critical additional time to work through the situation.

With sufficient altitude, we navigate you to the airport environment, and descend if needed, at which point the pilot is responsible for continuing to fly the aircraft to execute a successful landing.

Thanks,

Justin

Great Feature

The primary objectives of Smart Glide are to quickly pitch for and hold best glide airspeed preserving critical glide range, help to identify and in some cases navigate to a suitable landing location, and help access relevant communications channels faster. We do all of this with a single button push, ideally providing the pilot with critical additional time to work through the situation.

One of the biggest time is takers is acknowlaging the engine failure and acting appropriately. I'm really happy to see that this will auto set and fly best glide so I can focus my attention on other things.

Does this require a separate $10k+ GPS navigator as reported by AvWeb? :(

"Smart Glide requires at least one of Garmin’s latest GTN Xi-series navigators"

Does this require a separate $10k+ GPS navigator as reported by AvWeb? :(

"Smart Glide requires at least one of Garmin’s latest GTN Xi-series navigators"

That would disappointing. This does seem to be the case after looking at other resources, but maybe only in certified installations? What's described here in the thread as a G3X features is discussed in other materials as a function of the navigator or transponder, not the G3X. Might be a case of 'too good to be true' for those of us planning to go with a loaded but VFR only Garmin suite in the -12is. For experimental the question is what they mean by "appropriately equipped".

From Garmin: "Smart Glide support with a variety of Garmin systems
In certified aircraft, Smart Glide will become available with a GTN Xi series navigator paired with a compatible Garmin flight display including the G500 TXi™/G600 TXi, GI 275 electronic flight instrument, the G3X Touch™, or G5 electronic flight instrument, with others to be added later4. Compatible Garmin autopilots such as GFC 500 or GFC 600 can be automatically engaged when Smart Glide is activated5. For aircraft without a compatible Garmin autopilot, Smart Glide will still provide critical information and features to help manage engine emergencies and help to reduce pilot workload. Further, experimental aircraft with G3X Touch and a G3X autopilot can also enable Smart Glide technology when appropriately equipped."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBKWiHRUk4

GTN Xi

That would disappointing. This does seem to be the case after looking at other resources, but maybe only in certified installations? What's described here in the thread as a G3X features is discussed in other materials as a function of the navigator or transponder, not the G3X. Might be a case of 'too good to be true' for those of us planning to go with a loaded but VFR only Garmin suite in the -12is. For experimental the question is what they mean by "appropriately equipped".

From Garmin: "Smart Glide support with a variety of Garmin systems
In certified aircraft, Smart Glide will become available with a GTN Xi series navigator paired with a compatible Garmin flight display including the G500 TXi™/G600 TXi, GI 275 electronic flight instrument, the G3X Touch™, or G5 electronic flight instrument, with others to be added later4. Compatible Garmin autopilots such as GFC 500 or GFC 600 can be automatically engaged when Smart Glide is activated5. For aircraft without a compatible Garmin autopilot, Smart Glide will still provide critical information and features to help manage engine emergencies and help to reduce pilot workload. Further, experimental aircraft with G3X Touch and a G3X autopilot can also enable Smart Glide technology when appropriately equipped."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBKWiHRUk4

This is a G3X Touch feature as described in the original post here. For EAB aircraft a GTN Xi is not required.

Smart Glide was developed in parallel across a few different Garmin systems, and of course for both certified and non-certified aircraft. The GTN Xi drives Smart Glide in certified installations, while it is natively driven in G3X Touch for EAB aircraft.

Thanks,

Justin

Awesome. Too good, and yet still true!

This is a G3X Touch feature as described in the original post here. For EAB aircraft a GTN Xi is not required.

Smart Glide was developed in parallel across a few different Garmin systems, and of course for both certified and non-certified aircraft. The GTN Xi drives Smart Glide in certified installations, while it is natively driven in G3X Touch for EAB aircraft.

Thanks,

Justin

So while flying the Garmin glide profile and the pilot ends up in a ball, how does Garmin mitigate possible legal action by said pilot blaming the guidance given?

Glide Range Ring

Being involved in an engine out earlier this year and realizing the glide distance is greatly reduced due to increased drag by the prop. Simulated engine out isn’t the same and when has anyone actually shut down their engine to determine actual glide distance. Can I assume the G3X s/w will be calculating the glide distance ring as the best glide speed is maintained and descent rate is determined?

I know with Foreflt you have to input the parameters to determine the glide distance of your plane, which I’m not sure is anyone really knows for sure.

To make the glide range ring available, the system needs both Vg and Sink rate at Vg, which are programmed in configuration mode, in the Aircraft menu. It is the responsibility of the builder/operator to determine the appropriate values for each individual airframe, to ensure the system provides the most accurate estimation of available glide range.

Thanks,

Justin

A truly amazing feature and I'm sure will save lives. Well done Garmin team! Quick question. Will it trade speed for altitude right after engine out...?

Dedicated Panel Switch Type?

Hi Mark,

This will be part of the next software update for the G3X Touch. There is no additional cost associated with this feature.

The panel mounted switch shown in the marketing material is a neat addition to an installation, this switch is grounding a discrete input on the GEA 24, GAD 27, or GSU 73, which will be assigned and programmed by the installer for this purpose. You are able to use a switch of your choosing to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Justin

Can I assume that this is a NORMALLY OPEN MOMENTARY PUSH BUTTON switch that toggles the feature?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Thanks,

Justin

In the video from Garmin that I saw, the fellow had trouble opening the guard over the switch and had to use both hands, one to open and hold open the guard, and other one to push the button.
Didn't look ideal, but I'm sure Garmin will proved a one hand operable guarded switch.
John

Used the guarded switch with one hand several times in the Garmin booth. No problem using it.

It seems to be the identical switch used in the Autoland System with just a label change.

Can I assume that this is a NORMALLY OPEN MOMENTARY PUSH BUTTON switch that toggles the feature?

Thanks!

Mark,

Yes. The momentary contact push button used to activate Garmin Smart Glide is configured like any other G3X Touch discrete.

SmartGlideDiscrete.png

When used, it can be either active low or active high, but it would generally be an active low switch which momentarily grounds the selected input.

Keep in mind that pressing and holding the Direct-To button on the GDU 4XX is also a great way to activate Smart Glide and does not require additional hardware.

Steve

Dynamically determine best glide speed?

Wouldn't it be possible to dynamically determine Vg during glide?

In other words, initially use the programmed Vg and then slightly vary airspeed around that to determine actual Vg (with prop stopped) during the emergency descent.

Finn

Thanks,

Justin

This is good news; I asked at the Garmin booth, and the guy at the counter told me a GTN Xi was required (I told him I had an RV-10 with GTN650 and G3X touch - perhaps he didn't realize it was experimental)...

What i was Told

This is good news; I asked at the Garmin booth, and the guy at the counter told me a GTN Xi was required (I told him I had an RV-10 with GTN650 and G3X touch - perhaps he didn't realize it was experimental)...

I was told the GTN Xi was NOT required, but the GTN gives more features. So not sure what is correct.

Smart Glide Available now

On the Garmin SW Update section for Experimental G3x Touch, Software Ver. 8.91 is available as of Sep 07, 2021 with Smart Glide. I downloaded it yesterday. I'll head to the hangar tomorrow to install, and will probably test on Saturday.

More airports for South america

Here in Argentina, the chart provided by Garmin, has only big airports. So in most cases when smart glide has to be activated, there is no airport nearby. Is it possible to "use add" new airports to smart glide. In this case, we could add many airstrips in use today.
Thanks.
Maximo.
RV6, and Bristell Classic.

I have it in the RV-9A, G3X Touch and plain old GTN650.

I don't like it. Had a very bad experience the first time I tried it.

Don't recall all the problems I've seen, but one thing that Smart Glide does is that it changes guidance from External (GTN650) to Internal (G3X Touch). That action is neither annunciated nor documented. So after I tried Smart Glide and set course for home on the GTN650, nothing happened -- the GTN650 was no longer being used by the G3X. That was upsetting, to say the least, but I finally figured it out.

I've told Garmin about this, but I think I've worn out my welcome, pointing out documentation shortcomings.

By the way, in the Smart Glide documentation, it mentions that a button can be "subdued," some tech writer's way of replacing the standard term "grayed out."

When I was in software development, one useful definition of a bug was when the software did not act in accordance with the documentation...

but one thing that Smart Glide does is that it changes guidance from External (GTN650) to Internal (G3X Touch).

I had the same confusion when I tried it. On further trials I was aware of this behavior so it was no big deal.

It was surprising however.

So after I tried Smart Glide and set course for home on the GTN650, nothing happened -- the GTN650 was no longer being used by the G3X. That was upsetting, to say the least, but I finally figured it out.

Agree the Smart Glide documentation could be better and could have mentioned the guidance switch among other things. However, looking at the purpose of the Smart Glide button and why it would be activated may alleviate some of your angst. My guess is Garmin didn’t expect you to be plotting a course for home after activating Smart Glide.

Agree the Smart Glide documentation could be better and could have mentioned the guidance switch among other things. However, looking at the purpose of the Smart Glide button and why it would be activated may alleviate some of your angst. My guess is Garmin didn’t expect you to be plotting a course for home after activating Smart Glide.

Here's a few scenarios that I think would appropriately be in "use cases" when designing Smart Glide:
* Training / familiarization, certainly the best time to find out how something new really works
* Resolved temporary problem, such as fuel starvation resolved by switching tanks, allowing the flight to be continued, or carb ice resolved by carb heat

I practice a lot with the avionics, maybe more than I do flying the airplane per se. I want to be real good at both.

Not so sure

I can see these systems being valuable for aircraft flying in the high teens or above. However most of us in GA are generally flying in the 10,000 foot agl range. At these altitudes this type of system seems more of a distraction in an engine failure. You have very few minutes to find and set up for an emergency landing.

I guess if you are single-engine in solid IMC and the engine fails there may be some benefit here, Otherwise I don't see it.

Personally, if my engine quits, I will not be letting a piece of software determine if I live or die. I'm going to be setting best glide and looking for a place to land that's within 45 degrees of my wing tips. Then I'll push my ELT activation, and if possible, notify ATC. Everything else is an unnecessary distraction.

Last edited:
Back