What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Take your mom flying

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
smileyflyer.jpg

As I've written in the past, my biggest regret in building an airplane is that I was never able to give my mother a ride in it, which is ironic because the 7A I built was registered in her and dad's honor N614EF -- June 14, 1942. The day Eileen and Fred were married.

But an RV is impossible for a 90+ woman to get into, at least with the resources we had available when I flew the plane to my hometown years ago.

Mom died yesterday, two months shy of her 98th birthday.

In her honor, please give your mom a ride in your RV this weekend.

Oh Bob, what a poignant post.

My sympathies and concern to you as you grieve the loss of your Mother. May you have many happy memories of her life.

My mother didn't care much about flying, but she did go up with Dad occasionally. Later, after she died, and as Dad reached his mid-80's, he preferred to fly right seat with me in the left seat. I cherish the memories of those flights, some of which were to see his WW2 buddies several flying hours away. He's been gone thirteen years.

I'm sure your Mother was proud of all of your accomplishments.

I lost my mother 3 weeks ago. She always wanted to ride in my -4, but the getting in and out of the plane was a challenge we couldn't get past. She last flew with me in an old Taylorcraft about 15 years ago. My wife and I married IN our RV-4 with a formation of 5 planes 4 years ago, and mom was able to be in the lead plane, a Cessna 206 with the photographer. At least, she was next us in close formation and for 45 minutes we did vows and some really cool cloud dancing and made memories. She supported my flying from age 16, and lived with my wife and I at the airport for the last few years of her life. I miss my mom.

When my grandmother was dying, I packed my mom in my plane twice a week for the last 3 weeks of my grandmothers life.

I was very thankful for my RV and the extra time it gave us with my grandmother.

X

What a great post!

Thanks Bob, for sharing, and for such a wonderful and meaningful post. I'm sorry for your loss.

My mother (now 83) was never one for flying but was instrumental in pushing me towards my dream. We grew up without a lot, and mostly without a dad. The odds were against becoming an airline pilot but my mom never let me give up on the dream. Things were a lot different then, not quite the hiring environment we're enjoying now. I won't bore you all with the details but after 23 years at Southwest Airlines....and 21 in the left seat... I still see my reflection in the windshield sometimes and smile like a little kid. :D

For years I asked mom to come along on one of my flights. She's a nervous flyer but finally relented and rode with me on an ATL-MSP round trip. We landed at honest to goodness Cat III mins in MSP (gotta love auto land and the McBoeing 717) and she commented that she didn't see the runway until we touched down (neither did we, almost) but that she wasn't the least bit concerned "because her son was the captain". Some smiles you just can't wipe away...

I've got a great pic of her & I standing on the ramp, in the blizzard, in MSP, on the turn. As soon as I find it, I'll add it to the post.

Thanks mom. Still loving it, and forever grateful for everything. :)

What a timely post. Earlier this year I had the pleasure of flying with my dear friend Ray Weigle in my RV7. Ray was a WWII Navy pilot and flew many of the great Naval aircraft including the Corsair.

After the war he went on to a thirty year career with American Airlines. He also had a brief stint at TWA on the Connie. He went from the DC-3 to Captain on the 747. I don't think we'll ever see a career like that again.

He really loved the RV7, you talk about the RV grin! He went West today at the age of 99. Another part of the greatest generation passes on. Ray will be dearly missed, it was an honor to fly with him.

Pat
N931CB KHAF

Bob,
I am sure your mum/mom was grateful to have you as her son, and proud of the man you became.
Terrible time when loved parents go.

My dad purchased a 1969 172 in 1970 with 3 partners. The airplane had 50 hours TT on it. Over the course of about the next 6 years, my dad had bought the three partners out. When dad died 5 years ago, my mother said "I don't have any use for the airplane, and you are the only one who has a place for it. So why don't you just take it to your house". So, my brother & I have the 172 now.

It's about a 35 minute flight from my house to her's. We'll fly up there occasionally, pick her up, fly to breakfast, then go do some sightseeing.
She's 88 and loves flying.

She's ridden in the RV too.:)

Bob, I'm so sorry for your loss.

You wrote a wonderful tribute to your obviously wonderful mother, and I enjoyed every single word of it.

Keeping your family in our thoughts.

Doug

So sorry for your loss Bob.

I had the opportunity to take my mom and dad up for flights this past summer when I visited from across the continent. Without comparison, the best flights I've had in my plane - it was one of my most important objectives. They're both into their 80s and getting them into the plane was not the easiest. Getting to show them the area that they know so well on the ground from the air was special. Honestly this was one of the best experiences I've ever had with each of them. This made the years of building completely worth it all.

My condolences Bob on the loss of your Mom. Your family is in our prayers. Great writing BTW, I really enjoyed it.

She did good

Wow, what a testament to great parenting. I don't even know you other than reading your posts here, but I am near tears after reading your post. Your Mom did awesome raising you, and I'm sure she knew it. So you gave her the best present that any parent could ask for.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope someday to be able to shake your hand. Stay strong, as you know she would have wanted it that way.

Bob,
So sorry for your loss. I wanted to take my mom flying SO BAD. She never flew in a little plane and was afraid of them, but I knew she would go up with me. Unfortunately I took too long with my training and didn't get my license before she passed. I lost her July 2017 and passed my check ride this June. As my wife and I sat with her in the hospital I had my wife cut a lock of her hair the morning she died. I carried that lock with me on my checkride. I know both my parents were in the back seat of that 172 that day brimming with pride in what their little boy had accomplished. I bet she was still scared though.
Dave

Moms are special

I have had several great moments giving my mother an airplane ride. She encouraged me when I was a 15 year old kid and even gave my flight instuctor and his pregnant wife private Lamaze child birth classes ( she was the head nurse of the OB ward) in exchange for 7 hours of dual instruction for me.

She took a ride right after I got my PPL.

Some years later I flew her in a 737.

And a few years ago after she saw my airshow performance for the first time she went up in the RV4 and insisted on a barrel roll.( recorded by my go pro)

She has always be my biggest fan :)
Cm

Sad to hear this Bob, what a wonderful tribute.

Here's the last pic I have of my mom in the RV, We were flying ICT..HOT boat shopping.

IMG_5748-L.png

Every time I fly in to see my parents they are always early enough to watch me land, no matter how late they still hang around and watch me take off. You made me realize I need to take her up again soon and fulfill her initial RV flight request to go upside down, she chickened out the first and all subsequent times......

Mr. Collins:

You are an exceptional writer.
You are also an exceptional son: you were able to give your mother exactly the "good kids" she asked for, and not just on Mother's Day.

You and your family are in our prayers.

Take mom flying

Mom was my first passenger after completing phase 1 testing October this year. Very cool that she was excited about going. RV4 build was 18 year project. Mom is 87 years young, very lucky to have her around.

Back