What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 ahrs calibration

afii58

Using a G5 as backup to G3x touch in rv8. In phase 1, have gotten different feedback on this. Garmin told me I do have to calibrate pitch/roll on G5 along with g3x (g5 showing about 5 degrees more down then g3x). But since G5 is in line with g3x thought g5 was calibrated when I did the g3x….anybody else use G5 as backup to G3X , and what did you do?

They are independent of each other, need to run the pitch/roll offset for both with the airplane close to level if you want them to match.

From the G3X installation manual:

If an additional ADAHRS is installed in the aircraft, or the mounting location of an existing ADAHRS is changed, the pitch/roll offset compensation procedure must be performed again for all installed ADAHRS units before moving the aircraft. This applies equally to all ADAHRS units, including the GSU 25, GSU 73, and G5 backup display.

From the G5 installation manual:

In a G3X system, or a non-G3X system with multiple G5 units, if the pitch/roll offset procedure is performed for one unit, it should be performed on all other G3X AHRS units or G5 units before moving the aircraft.

ADAHRS Calibration

Using a G5 as backup to G3x touch in rv8. In phase 1, have gotten different feedback on this. Garmin told me I do have to calibrate pitch/roll on G5 along with g3x (g5 showing about 5 degrees more down then g3x). But since G5 is in line with g3x thought g5 was calibrated when I did the g3x….anybody else use G5 as backup to G3X , and what did you do?

Good Morning Art,

If you did not calibrate the G5 to your airframe when you installed it, it will not display attitude accurately in your aircraft. Further, You want all the ADAHRS in the system to display the exact same attitude reference.

Any time you add, or replace an ADAHRS source in an integrated system like the G3X Touch, you need to re-calibrate all the ADAHRS sources in the system in addition to the initial calibration of the new unit. Not necessarily simultaneously, but in succession, without moving the aircraft. So you will want to level your aircraft and run the pitch/roll calibration on the G5 and any GSU 25 or 73 that is serving as an attitude source for the G3X Touch.

Instructions for this process can be found on Page 35-14 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual, for the G3X Touch, and on page 8-12 of the G5 Installation Manual for the G5.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin…had to go into g5 menu and switch g5 from G3x backup to stand alone to get configuration page on g5. Then I switched back to g3x backup…it seemed to work.

Back