What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage door fit?

digidocs

Well Known Member
Would anyone mind sharing some photos of their baggage door fit?

I'm just finished mine and I'm not in love with how it came out. The door is centered in the opening and the two vertical seams are pretty flush, but the door bulges out on the top seam (like the door is more curved than the fuselage) and dips inward a bit at the lower right corner.

Trying to decide whether to try again or accept and move on.

David

The best way to make sure the door is flat is to back rivet the outside skin. Clamp the skin down on the back rivet plate prior to setting the rivets. Mine came out relatively straight, I had to form the edges just a little to help them conform to the very bottom. Here is the only close up I could find.
IMG_1103.jpg

With pre punched perfection it is hard to believe that anything won't be a perfect fit.
The baggage door on my 10 was about the only part I can remember that did not fit well after it was riveted. Although the door was a perfect fit before pop riveting the inside panel, it no longer fit after installing the close out panel.
I ended up removing the inside panel, match drilled a new sheet of aluminum to the original pre punched panel (undersize #40) and final drilling to the installed baggage door.
After deburring and cleanup final install the inside panel with the door installed in place. I now have a perfect fit.

Used the seaming pliers tonight to make some "adjustments" to the baggage door flanges. Was able to get within ~=1-2 32nds all the way around which I think will suffice.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be so much better at this the second time around :eek:

David
I don't have any useful picture to post but want to make you aware that you leave enough space for the door in the lower left corner. Mine scratched the paint off when opening. It was just fine without paint. Also if you plan to use a door strut like Aerosportproducts is offering plan to leave about 2/32 space to the right side. The door strut will push the door backwards when closed, which equals the play within the piano hinges.
Mike

Back