What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Autopilot Install in RV-9A, Pictures/Tips

twcroy

All,

Does anyone have a thread or two, and preferably pictures, addressing installation of the the roll and pitch GRT servos in a 9A they could point me to? I'm getting ready to install servos via the GRT installation manual, which has pictures primarily for an 8A install. I have a single Horizon WS EFIS with ARINC. Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks for your time and consideration,
Tim

I don't think I posted any photos of my GRT servo installation on my builders log but I do have photos and will post some later this evening. I can't say if it follows their manual or not, as they referred me to 'other experimental AP servo installs' and suggested they were all the same. I did more than my fair share of head scratching as A) the other guys are very similar but not identical, and B) they sent me parts to mount the servos in a 7, not a 9 (they did send the right parts after I figured it out).

Bottom line is the whole concept is really simple. The only "gotcha" that I can remember you might encounter is having the servo go "over-center". Look for the "sweet spot" in the middle where the servo motor arm is roughly 90 degrees to the control tube when the control surface (aileron or rudder) is in the neutral position and you should avoid the problem.

Back