What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carburetor Heater Enhancement

twcroy

Folks,

Was wondering if anyone modified their carburetor heat exchanger to improve its heating ability. I think the rpm drop is minimal to none in the winter and wondered if it might be smart to improve it to prevent or rid carburetor icing.

Was also thinking about doing the same with the cabin heat exchanger, but thought I'd check the carburetor first.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Tim

Last edited:
Bill,

Thanks, I'm checking with my A&P and will probably do it this year or next after seeing how she does during a Michigan trip in the winter.

Thanks again,
Tim

I replaced the stock stovepipe carb heat tube with a Robbins Wings heat muff. I went from a drop that was audible, but not detectable on the RPM gauge, to a measurable 50rpm drop. I'm happier, although I still don't know how much of a problem carb heat really is on an O-320.

In five years of flying our 0-360 carbed -6A...

...we only had one known incidence of carb ice and that was on the delivery flight to the new owner! It was a cold day and we flew through some cold drizzle...around 45 degrees and saw a loss of RPM. I had never seen a drop in RPM when checking carb heat but I pulled it and the ice melted and the lost RPM's returned...go figure.

Best,

Back