What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plastic Leading Edge Prop Guards & Balancing

twcroy

I had prop guards put on last summer while based at a "dirty" field. It threw the prop's balance out (dynamically balanced in 2010). I plan to either have it dynamically re-balanced with the prop guards or remove them. Any recommendations on which way to proceed? I think the guards are a good investment but I haven't noted much discussion on VAF on them.

Thanks as always for your time,
Tim

let's discuss!

well, since you started the discussion Tim;

why would the tape change the balance? same weight, same length & position on each blade, the prop shouldn't really know it's there, right?
Likewise, if you precisely taped a dollar coin to each prop tip, I'd expect zero effect on the balance.
now, effect on the aerodynamics?.....absolutely.
could the tape, if thick, be tripping the boundary layer, and you are noticing that change in 'lift' (thrust). I'm not sure how that would manifest itself, perhaps lower static rpm, or a harmonic at some magic frequency.

ok, let the games begin!................................

Tim,
What prop do you have on your plane? Is the tape installed symmetrically, without any voids or loose edges?
I agree with post #2 with that installed correctly, the tape did not change your balance. I have installed the Prop Gard kit on my Super Viking, and Pacer with no ill effects. Every Catto Prop leaves his shop with the tape protecting the area between the hub and nickel leading edge.

Thanks Perry.

Mark,
I have a Hartzell (HC-C2YL-1BF/F7663-4) constant speed prop. It came off an RV-4 which had a hangar collapse on it and was inspected / repaired by Jordan Propeller Service in San Antonio, TX in 2006. The A&P who installed the guards said the same thing - should be no change in balance. My A&P also lowered my idle static RPM from 870 to I think less than 700 RPM after installing the guards. This could be the reason for the vibration at low RPM. I thought there was more at 1000 also, but I could be wrong.

Back