What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Marching Toward More GPS-Only Approaches

Jamie

Well Known Member
I really want to get my instrument ticket but I have been struggling with how to upgrade my panel for longevity's sake.

Well, I think that below-referenced article pretty much settles it for me.

I have been curious if the FAA is really serious about eliminating ground-based approaches in favor of RNAV/LPV-based approaches. Well, it appears that they are!

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2009/091216approach.html

It looks like my upgraded panel will include a 430w as soon as I can scrape up some pennies....ok...lots of pennies.:)

Last edited:
Jamie,

I have the same question as you as I also would like to upgrade my panel. If, as you say,
the FAA is really serious about eliminating ground-based approaches in favor of RNAV/LPV-based approaches
, then wouldn't a GNS-420w be just as good? You would only be giving up the ground based portion of the 430w. In the past, everyone has recommended against the GNS-420 and has recommended the GNS-430. I don't know the timetable for elimination of ground based navigation sources.

Good Luck,
Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

They are not free to maintain, but a lot cheaper than ground based navaids. Anytime significant terrain features change, the FAA must do a new site study to ensure the objects don't interfere with the protected approach corridor. The cost of implementing a WAAS approach is approx $20K per approach. I would be an advocate of eliminating everything but ILS/LOC approaches (just for backup) and going with WAAS everywhere.

I would be an advocate of eliminating everything but ILS/LOC approaches (just for backup) and going with WAAS everywhere.

Great! I'll put you on my "good" CFII list. :) I've often argued with other CFI's when I tell them.................I'll just be as happy when all VOR's are gone." I'm a true believer in GPS, WASS, and synthetic vision.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Panel Upgrade

The 430W will certainly be good investment if you want to make your panel IFR capable.

Even though GPS approaches may be the way of the future and are widely used today, you will still need to be capable of doing VOR and ILS approaches. Since the 430 will give you this capability (as long has you have the EFIS or NAV head also), it will be a good basis for an IFR panel.

Hurry....

(Jamie, check your PM's)...

...because Garmin will send you a $500 rebate on a 430W if you complete the deal by December 31st.

Best,

GPS approaches are great (I wish the GPS NAV boxes were better - I loved the UPS/Garmin 480!). However, eliminating ILS/LOC approaches should be done with care. Civilian GPS, in its current state, is not a robust system - it's easily jammed intentionally or unintentionally.

GPS in its current form is good, but the improvements that are coming (e.g., L5 signal and Block IIF) will make it better. Until that time, I'd hate to rely solely on GPS for your IFR approach capability.

TODR

Back