What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR Equipment

tacaruth

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I have seen several threads where people talk about the IFR equipment installed in their panels. I have a VFR panel now and would like to upgrade it for IFR capabilities. The panels I would like to pattern my panel after have a Garmin 430W, one of the EFIS systems, and a coupled autopilot like a Digiflight IIVSGV. Here is my question. With this equipment list, what does one do for approach guidance if either the EFIS or the 430W fails? I realize that a handheld GPS would provide basic directions but what would provide the glideslope guidance? If the EFIS fails, what displays the vertical guidance? Would the EFIS HITS provide enough direction if the 430W fails? Should one install a Nav/Com such as a SL-30 in addition to the 430W? What about a second CDI? I was planning on installing my current altimeter, airspeed and Trutrak ADI as backups for these EFIS functions.

Thanks for you opinions.
Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

That is essentially what I have in my panel, dual EIFS with daul AHRS coupled to a 430 with altimeter/airspeed/compass as for my backup in addition to the TT A/P VSGV. If my EIFS dies (both of them) I guess I could let the A/P drive it to the MAP or just get the heck out and hopefully find some VFR airport. If 430 dies, then either use the SL30 if on ILS/LOC or go to plan B (another airport with better condition)

But all in all, I feel much better then most older aircraft that they have only one set of of gauges, specially if they run on vacuum.

IFR backups

Good questions.l I fly IFR around Seattle regularily. I have a 2nd Nav/Com in case the Garmin fails and the second Nav/Com has ILS receiver and I have a second CDI for it. If the EFIS fails you'll need something to give you roll info. I currently use the turn coordinator. But on an RV, I'd install an electric Attitude Indicator with battery back up.

Finally, you could call ATC for a "no gyro" approach on a backup radio.

Tom, a lot depends on your mission

If you'll be doing solid IMC approaches to 200', I'd recommend an SL 30 for a second nav source.

If you are NOTgoing that low but maybe to 600' ceilings, it's a different story and only the 430 with Trutrak ADI ought to be OK, in case of 430 failure.

Decide how you're going to fly and it'll make your decision a little easier. I just installed a 430W in my -10 and have the SL-30 as a second nav source mainly because the airplane came with it, and the HS-34 module coupled to the D-100 can select either nav source with a push of a button.

It still leaves you in a quandary if you're making a GPS approach to an airport without an ILS and the 430W goes TU.

I do have a 496 for emergency backup though.

Best,

Back