Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
How about a 9 - 9A kitted like the 12 and assembled with blind rivets. O320 and fp prop.... same panel as the 12. You could build this for the same price of a 12.
This is exactly what Vans needs to make! A pop riveted RV-9.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Guy View Post
So, assuming all three of the qualities mentioned in the opening are considered, I'm going for a simple high wing, 2 place side by side with either a Rotax or up to 360 Lycoming. The plane would be highly engineered to insure a fast build. This type of plane would have improved properties over the S21 with solid company support.

I know lots of RV owners that would love to have a high wing "fun" plane but don't want a Cub, or one of the many off shoots. And, they don't want to learn a new company. The loyalty factor. The existing RV owners are the first market and all others that would like to have something like this but are unsure of the product or the company.
I'm relatively new to the Van's world (building since late 2019), but it is quite apparent to me how similar all the Van's planes are. Yes, some are single seat, some are tandem, some are side by side, and some are 2x2 - but the basic design is very similar in all the planes. Low wing. Straight wing. Aluminum. So similar that many of the parts are shared among various models. Heck, the RV-10 and the RV-14 have identical wings, except for the length of the wing. My Aveo wingtips fit either a -10 or -14 since they have the exact same cross section.

My point is that whatever Van's builds next will have the same DNA. Aluminum. Low wing. Straight wing. Single engine. Maybe it will be a sportier 2x2 than the -10, or a bigger -14 with more cargo room, or a stretch version of the -10 for 5 or 6 places. Or a +/-9g version of a single seater for harder acrobatics. But no matter what it is, there is about a 99% chance that it will look like an evolution of some other very successful product.

People hoping for a Van's carbon fiber six seat VTOL 1500 mile range pressurized retractable twin engine jet that can be built with pop rivets in under 500 hours really need to just sell their house and buy a Cirrus Jet or a V-22 Osprey.
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying summer 2021?
Going for the build speed record. Thanks lockdowns!

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member

Last edited by AlpineYoda : 09-02-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
My point is that whatever Van's builds next will have the same DNA. Aluminum. Low wing. Straight wing. Single engine.
Yep, it is just a matter of what DNA they choose to mutate. Thankfully the kits are becoming easier to assemble and I'm sure the RV-15 will be no exception.

I think the collective anticipation of this thread has built long enough and it is time for Vans to pull up the curtain!
Old 08-28-2020, 05:16 PM

Default The future

Now, this would be the ultimate 2 place rocket ship for those of us looking for speed and range, without going upside down.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ane/index.html

Sign me up a for 2 place, Titan IO-340.

Building - Zenith 750 [11323] CruzerDuty27.5
N67LJ RV9-A [90504] - SOLD
N83LJ Sonex [0864] - SOLD

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
Old 08-29-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
This is exactly what Vans needs to make! A pop riveted RV-9.
maybe even a pop rivet rv-14 2+2 Grumman tiger style!! In case you need the seats the option is there! GET THE MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!!
Old 09-02-2020, 01:35 AM

How about something with a more advanced wing that is mostly factory built. A tapered wing an eliptical wing or washout in the wing.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up Loose the pop rivets

As a guy that has worked on more RV-12s than any sane person should, I can say with absolute confidence that the pop rivets are not all they are chocked up to be.

A few months ago I helped a buddy buck rivets (first time!) in the -14 he was working on... piece of cake. Itís really not that hard.

As far as build time check out the differences between the RV-12 and RV-14 and note how close the times are. In my opinion itís all about the matched hole assembly. (Matched hole RV-3B please!)

Solid rivets look incredibly better and youíll be thanking yourself during paint when youíre not painstakingly masking around hundreds of rivet heads.

And yeah, nothing yells ďIím captain cheapoĒ more than a pop riveted airplane.
General Purpose Airplane Nut, etc,.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD.TF4 View Post
As a guy that has worked on more RV-12s than any sane person should, I can say with absolute confidence that the pop rivets are not all they are chocked up to be.

A few months ago I helped a buddy buck rivets (first time!) in the -14 he was working on... piece of cake. Itís really not that hard.

As far as build time check out the differences between the RV-12 and RV-14 and note how close the times are. In my opinion itís all about the matched hole assembly. (Matched hole RV-3B please!)

Solid rivets look incredibly better and youíll be thanking yourself during paint when youíre not painstakingly masking around hundreds of rivet heads.

And yeah, nothing yells ďIím captain cheapoĒ more than a pop riveted airplane.
I could not agree more!
Carl
Old 09-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Default Captain Cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD.TF4 View Post
ďIím captain cheapoĒ more than a pop riveted airplane.
If saving eighty thousand dollars, hundreds of hours of time, and thousands over the years on fuel by building a -12 over a -14 makes me Captain Cheapo then I'll gladly wear that yoke.

I do, however, wish there was a middle ground between the two in terms of build time, cost, ease of construction and performance. Hopefully the -15 occupies that space.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:48 PM

anybody think it could be an aerobatic 12?