-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:26 PM

Think about what switches and equipment you will use during various phases of flight, and make it easy to find those switches, then make panel as pretty as possible, rather that starting with a pretty panel and making it as usable as possible.

Dynon D10 is certainly last decade equipment. Suggest you replace with either GRT Mini B or Garmin D5. Both are superior, lighter, easier to install, have better displays and consume less power.

Do you need an Alt switch? With modern alternators probably serves no purpose. See Bob Nuckoll's articles for more detail.

I would put landing light switch next to the boost pump as they are the 2 switches you need to find when approaching the pattern. Radio callsign placard is probably better placed at the top of the panel so eyes move less from looking outside to finding placard when brain goes blank after pressing PTT...

Agree more space is required for c/bs (although I would use fuses behind the panel).

I would install an AP OFF switch to kill the AP in emergency if ever required.

Do you need a 530 (or 750) with 2 x 10" displays? Would a 430/650 be adequate (and less expensive) also easier to use AP panels and radios if horizontal, slimmer nav/com/gps would allow everything to be horizontal and Dynons to be closer together making scan easier. When its bumpy can be difficult to get hold of the correct knob.

Structure behind the panel is a significant consideration!

Switches close to the bottom of the panel will get kicked / snag on your pants as you climb in.

Just my opinion...
Pete
Old 08-30-2018, 05:34 PM

Why the G5? If you have two MFD's with GPS and AHRS why need another AHRS backup?

'77 Piper Archer II, N5323F is our airplane now. Great little plane but can't wait till we get our RV10

I'm proud to be an investor in the Reeves' American Dream - Please Donate NOW if you have not donated this year. Your donations really help the cause and support for this fantastic support group!
Old 08-31-2018, 09:46 AM

I did similar with AFS and a G5 because I wanted a 3rd backup from a different manufacturer to lesson the potential issue of a common software glitch and to use as a tiebreaker if the primary AHRSs disagree. This is an idea I got from other builders here on VAF.

The picture to me looks like smaller Dynon, however. This certainly has significantly different software than the Skyviews and may add some interconnectivity with the rest of his system.
CH750 O200/AFS5500. Built it with 7 friends. DAR-Vic Syracuse
Maule M7-235C Sold it(kind of miss it)
VAF paid 5/2017

Last edited by n981ms : 08-31-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Default Almost done

The panel planning has been a great learning experience around avionics, what is needed and how fast one can run out of panel space. We are 90% finalized in the layout and almost ready to cut.

Check out my latest blog update if you are interested in the official CAD layout. One neat thing we did was identify how to place, cut and incorporate the vents into one sheet of aluminum to create a refined finish.

I chose to buy the D10a because it was used and saved me quite a bit over a G5 or mini-extreme.

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/20...ning-take-two/

Building - Zenith 750 [11323] CruzerDuty27.5
N67LJ RV9-A [90504] - SOLD
N83LJ Sonex [0864] - SOLD

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/

Last edited by jjbardell : 09-15-2018 at 12:41 PM.